Post-Game Talk: #53: Sabres at Flyers, Thursday, February 11, 2016

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Personal responsibility. He has to be aware of his surroundings. Its not illegal for a defensemen to hit someone because they are in a vulnerable position.

The most egregious part of the hit to me was that it was a dick move.

Personal responsibility also extends to players trying to carry the puck up the middle while not looking where they are going. Have a seat, rook.

I don't care if he gets suspended. With the Colon in charge, it's back to Wheel of Discipline. He could get nothing or 10 games. Kadri got $5000 for issuing a public death threat, complete with throat slitting motion.

Anyway, it will work in the Flyers' favour in the long run if other teams have it in the back of their minds they might get destroyed if they cut across the middle of the ice with their head down.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
DoPS put emotion and reputation aside and got it right! The 5 min charging penalty was more than enough.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It didn't deserve a suspension but I think the penalty was a good call.

The guy had his head down but he still him him directly in it, which, according to the rules, is a penalty.

Edit: also want to add that I think a big part of this is that the player got up and skated off. If he had payed there a long time or been injured i think Gudas might have had a hearing.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I am surprised, but the league's record this season is that this isn't a suspendable hit, and Gudas would have been a repeat offender.

Sabres have always been crybabies as it were.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I don't care if ghost threw that hit it was clean. Shoulder was point of contact and players are taught to play to the last second even though lots don't do that here.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
imagine if the kid would of ducked and Gudas would of clipped Giroux.
would you be blaming Giroux for not being "aware"

Giroux was not on ice. It was VandeVelde who was checking him.

I do really dislike the hit though (as I said in the main board thread) even though by the book it is not suspend-able. (as I also said in the main boards thread)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It was a penalty, but not worthy of any supplemental discipline despite your "pay the price" crap. I think you need to put on some glasses so you can read the headshot rule again.

fine. it was a dirty head shot worthy of the 5 minutes and game misconduct. if there is no suspension fine. But it was not a clean hit like some claim around here

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I don't think the hit was getting suspended but I don't understand the clamoring of "WELL SCOTT STEVENS BLAH." This isn't the 70s, the 80s, or even the 90s. The rules have changed. The rules today rule out so much stuff from those eras, so I don't understand it.

It's like if I got arrested for underage drinking at age 20. "WELL BACK IN THE 70S YOU COULD DRINK AT 18 IN SOME PLACES!" That **** won't work.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
People forget how much of a rock Gudas was for us over the first 40 games or so. He has been inconsistent and stepping over the line the last few games or so. He's a really good defensive defender who can is solid for the PK. I have no problems with him and up until recently he was playing great. Let him turn it around.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Soccer is a much dirtier game than hockey fans think, I used to think it was a noncontact sport until I watched the World Cup a few years back.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Soccer is a much dirtier game than hockey fans think, I used to think it was a noncontact sport until I watched the World Cup a few years back.

Eh... growing up in a soccer playing country and having a cousin who was a professional footballer, and an uncle who for a short time was an assistant coach for a Premier League club it is pretty soft.

I love soccer, and enjoy playing, but growing up it was the 'mardest' popular team sport played.

I would say that though... I played defense and 'liked a good hard tackle.' My only soccer skills were actually being able to run very fast and tackle! I had more cards in my football career than goals.

Though if Nigel De Jong is on the pitch... well then it is a pretty tough sport! :laugh:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't think the hit was getting suspended but I don't understand the clamoring of "WELL SCOTT STEVENS BLAH." This isn't the 70s, the 80s, or even the 90s. The rules have changed. The rules today rule out so much stuff from those eras, so I don't understand it.

It's like if I got arrested for underage drinking at age 20. "WELL BACK IN THE 70S YOU COULD DRINK AT 18 IN SOME PLACES!" That **** won't work.

Lots of old guys like to constantly tell people how different things were back in their day. They can't handle change.

I'm sure you could find some guys who want goalies to have little padding and zero masks because that's how men play, ignoring the fact that guys are bigger, faster, and stronger and can do a ton more damage if the rules don't change to compensate. The last thing we need is a player getting paralyzed because he gets rocked in the head by a hit that used to be alowed a few decades ago.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That doesn't follow. Pretty big reach and dumb attack on "old guys."

I specifically said "lots of old guys", not all old guys.

If what I said doesn't apply to someone then they have no reason to be offended by it because they're not part of the group I'm mentioning.

Last edited:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I'm sure you could find some guys who want goalies to have little padding and zero masks because that's how men play,
I think you'll be searching for quite sometime looking for someone making a serious argument in favor of goalies playing without masks

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think you'll be searching for quite sometime looking for someone making a serious argument in favor of goalies playing without masks

:laugh: I know, that was super-hyperbole. It was just to make a point that there will always be some people who refuse to move on and accept that sometimes things need to change.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
One thing the new league has promoted was speed.

Now you got people expecting to rocket through the neutral zone without consequence.

Granted speed didn't have anything to do with this hit but it is a result of those that came aboard post lockout; those that promote little self responsibility.

Those are the people that seem to be complaining about this hit.

Imagine that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad