Post-Game Talk: #53: Sabres at Flyers, Thursday, February 11, 2016

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
That was a clean hit... in 2000. It's now 2016. That was a textbook example of a hit that is simply unallowable in this day and age given what we now know about head trauma.

Call me a homer, but you shouldn't be looking at your feet / puck while skating through the neutral zone- regardless if engaged with a player or not. That is hockey 101. The only troubling thing is that Gudas did not need to blow him up given the score. However, there was bad blood going on the whole game and allot of smack talk. Gudas took a couple of dumb penalties earlier in the game and perhaps was a bit on the ornery side of things. I would blow him up too- regardless of score just because its buffalooooo. :0)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sorry bro, not arguing with either of you either way, but what you did is the literal definition of a strawman :laugh: He does have you there

Upon further review, you are correct :laugh:

I had been under the impression that a strawman is creating something completely different to argue against, not just creating an exaggerated version of their argument (since that's what I see people calling a strawman on here 99% of the time, I had never actually looked up the definition myself).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah since walking down a public street is the same as being the puck carrier in hockey.

:laugh:

Either way you're not expecting to have someone break the law/rules so the whole "personal responsibility" excuse doesn't really work.

If Gudas had laid him out with a legal hit, but caught the guy off guard, then you'd be right. He has to protect himself from legal hits but it's Gudas' responsibility to not break the rules.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm OK with the charging call to keep the game from getting out of hand but as far as the headshot rules go it was a legal hit.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think the problem with a lot NHL fans when it comes to breaking down these type of hits is that they treat it like the league has a zero tolerance head contact rule in place like other leagues do.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I think the problem with a lot NHL fans when it comes to breaking down these type of hits is that they treat it like the league has a zero tolerance head contact rule in place like other leagues do.

Yeah I agree with this, in my own opinion I don't think that hit should be allowed. But in the NHL's mind and rulebook it's basically considered borderline

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Either way you're not expecting to have someone break the law/rules so the whole "personal responsibility" excuse doesn't really work.

If Gudas had laid him out with a legal hit, but caught the guy off guard, then you'd be right. He has to protect himself from legal hits but it's Gudas' responsibility to not break the rules.

What rule did he break? That was a clean hit in open ice. Should not have even been a penalty.

They might as well ban hitting altogether, make it a non-contact league. And pucks are dangerous too. They should switch to a softer rubber ring so no one gets hurt. And saw the stick blades off too. It'll be exciting!

http://www.ringette.ca/

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What rule did he break? That was a clean hit in open ice. Should not have even been a penalty.

They might as well ban hitting altogether, make it a non-contact league. And pucks are dangerous too. They should switch to a softer rubber ring so no one gets hurt. And saw the stick blades off too. It'll be exciting!

http://www.ringette.ca/

It was charging, I believe.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND

The facts are the hit was legal even based off the already strict rulebook.

The penalty was only given out based on poor officiating based on aftermath and lastly the cries of suspension from the majority now have people back peddling as they realize how soft it has become.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad