GDT: #53 – Sharks at Sabres – Tue Feb 7, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
What has Kane done while in Buffalo that has actually harmed the team? There hasn't been a single issue in the locker room or with the team. In fact I'd say his teammates love having him on the team. He's fast, strong, tough and a tenacious player. He forechecks and hits and is a goal scorer. He has 36 goals in 107 games as a Sabre. Considering that includes an 11 game goalless streak to start this season that's damn good. It's hard to find 25 year olds who can forecheck and play physical like Kane. He is also one of our best PKers. If he will re-sign at 5.5 or 5.75 then I want him extended. It seems the board wants to emulate the Kings and Kane plays that heavy game. In fact Kane's game is a playoff type game. I like having Kane and Foligno in the top 9 at LW, we just got to find that LW1 who can play with Eichel. I was not a fan of the Kane trade and advocated moving him but after this season and realizing the difficulty of replacing him I am firmly in the extend Kane camp. I just don't see us being able to find a player who can hit, forecheck, PK and score 25 goals a season like Kane does. He was personally targeted by Murray so I expect him to keep him.

I know we need defense but trading Kane for a dman doesn't make the Sabres that much better if at all. We need to add a few dmen AND keep Kane. In fact we need another top 6 forward on this team, not move one.

He lost us the game against the Devils with dumb penalties. He's a great player, greater if he focuses on scoring and not handing the puck as much.

His trade value is way up and we can't start next season with a lousy D corps or we are done again. We need to trade talent to get talent. I'd move Kane -- you know he'll have another off-ice issue at some point but I don't even care that much about that. We just need chips to trade.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I love how people act as if Buffalo needs another elite d-man. The Sabres need 2 quality- to above average starters going forward. It's not as if you have to sell the farm to get a couple quality starters. Yes, they are not cheap, but Buffalo doesn't have to trade Reinhart to get a quality dman.

I understand why Kane is a staple for a trade: He's youngish, hes a UFA after next year, and is currently hot, coupled with the fact that our best prospects are wingers.

Kane does not have as much trade value as some think: while he is still young he is reaching the peak of his career and will command a good contract. When Buffalo acquired Kane he had 3.5 (3) years left at a decent rate. He would have 1 year left and then command probably in the $5-6.5m range for 5-7 years.

Ristolainen is good, but he's not elite. I'm not even sure he's a true no. 1. He just gets to be one here because we are so thin. If we want to be a cup winner, I think we need another player of his caliber.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What has Kane done while in Buffalo that has actually harmed the team? There hasn't been a single issue in the locker room or with the team. In fact I'd say his teammates love having him on the team. He's fast, strong, tough and a tenacious player. He forechecks and hits and is a goal scorer. He has 36 goals in 107 games as a Sabre. Considering that includes an 11 game goalless streak to start this season that's damn good. It's hard to find 25 year olds who can forecheck and play physical like Kane. He is also one of our best PKers. If he will re-sign at 5.5 or 5.75 then I want him extended. It seems the board wants to emulate the Kings and Kane plays that heavy game. In fact Kane's game is a playoff type game. I like having Kane and Foligno in the top 9 at LW, we just got to find that LW1 who can play with Eichel. I was not a fan of the Kane trade and advocated moving him but after this season and realizing the difficulty of replacing him I am firmly in the extend Kane camp. I just don't see us being able to find a player who can hit, forecheck, PK and score 25 goals a season like Kane does. He was personally targeted by Murray so I expect him to keep him.

I know we need defense but trading Kane for a dman doesn't make the Sabres that much better if at all. We need to add a few dmen AND keep Kane. In fact we need another top 6 forward on this team, not move one.

So Murray won the trade?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Good resiliency against a good team. Would prefer them not to chase the game all the time, but, fortunately or unfortunately, that's when they often play their most entertaining hockey. As for trading Kane for defense, it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. Murray has to figure out how to add to the roster - it isn't good enough to be swapping out pieces and then cross his fingers that it'll work like a chemistry experiment - without trading valuable NHL roster pieces. That's what he's paid the big bucks to figure out.

SJ is a really good team, though. Have to give a lot of credit to them and Washington for ignoring the pundits who, at various times over the last five years, have suggested that they tear it down and rebuild. They have as a good a chance as any to win the Western Conference this year - ditto Washington in the Eastern Conference.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Good resiliency against a good team. Would prefer them not to chase the game all the time, but, fortunately or unfortunately, that's when they often play their most entertaining hockey. As for trading Kane for defense, it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. Murray has to figure out how to add to the roster - it isn't good enough to be swapping out pieces and then cross his fingers that it'll work like a chemistry experiment - without trading valuable NHL roster pieces. That's what he's paid the big bucks to figure out.

Something for nothing x 3-4 roster holes.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Did Des even get a shift last night? I just noticed he was dressed when he congratulated Kane on the OT winner.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
SJ is a really good team, though. Have to give a lot of credit to them and Washington for ignoring the pundits who, at various times over the last five years, have suggested that they tear it down and rebuild. They have as a good a chance as any to win the Western Conference this year - ditto Washington in the Eastern Conference.

Good point, I can't believe how good both SJ and Washington still are, not having had to properly rebuild when it seemed like they needed one. However, looking at those long term contracts, they will have to pay the piper soon enough.

I would lump Montreal and Nashville into this category as well. They seem to be doing fine, years after I diagnosed them as needing a rebuild.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

In a vacuum, sure. But the decision with Kane is going to be about his probable next contract. Will it be worth it to keep him beyond next season if he gets a contract on par or greater than Okposo? Thats a lot of money and term to tie up in a player with questions about how well he plays with top line players, he's a winger, his off ice stuff, etc.

Plus a good top 4 man in the long run generally has more value to a team than a winger.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
In a vacuum, sure. But the decision with Kane is going to be about his probable next contract. Will it be worth it to keep him beyond next season if he gets a contract on par or greater than Okposo? Thats a lot of money and term to tie up in a player with questions about how well he plays with top line players, he's a winger, his off ice stuff, etc.

I agree with all of that. I'm in the boat that he isn't going to get a 6-7 year term on his next deal. He's had too many off-ice issues - some real, some imagined (money phone!) - for generally conservative GM's to be willing to take on such a potential poison pill. I think he'll get 3-4 years at or slightly above his current cap hit. The million-dollar question will be whether he and his agent figure that out before he decides whether to test the UFA market.

Plus a good top 4 man in the long run generally has more value to a team than a winger.

I don't disagree. I do think, though, if you want to greatly improve your playoff chances for next season, you probably have to keep Kane and find a different way to acquire another top-4 defenseman. That could be from a cap-crunched club, teams transitioning to a younger group, teams shuffling their roster for the expansion draft, etc.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
About what?

Is he really that daft that he can't grasp fans boo crap play and cheer exciting play?

He's young and frustrated. Not a big deal but to act like its something shocking/funny is pretty silly.

What's wrong with noting the starkness of a fickle reaction? Growing up in Boston I understand he'd be familiar with fair weather reactions. Maybe the Boston model is ok for someone like you.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What's wrong with noting the starkness of a fickle reaction? Growing up in Boston I understand he'd be familiar with fair weather reactions. Maybe the Boston model is ok for someone like you.

Fair weather reactions? Someone like me? The Boston model? What on earth are you talking about?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
About what?

Is he really that daft that he can't grasp fans boo crap play and cheer exciting play?

He's young and frustrated. Not a big deal but to act like its something shocking/funny is pretty silly.

Heck, it's not like the booing was undeserved or surprising when it happened. They were down 4-1, hemmed in their own zone, and kept turning the puck over. Give the fans something to cheer about and they will. Does Eichel think the players are the only ones who get frustrated when the team plays like garbage?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree with all of that. I'm in the boat that he isn't going to get a 6-7 year term on his next deal. He's had too many off-ice issues - some real, some imagined (money phone!) - for generally conservative GM's to be willing to take on such a potential poison pill. I think he'll get 3-4 years at or slightly above his current cap hit. The million-dollar question will be whether he and his agent figure that out before he decides whether to test the UFA market.

I think thats a bit hopeful that he takes 3-4 years unless his game tails off again, he has more injuries or he gets into more trouble. I would think at least 5 years again, since he'll only be 26/27 as a UFA.

I don't disagree. I do think, though, if you want to greatly improve your playoff chances for next season, you probably have to keep Kane and find a different way to acquire another top-4 defenseman. That could be from a cap-crunched club, teams transitioning to a younger group, teams shuffling their roster for the expansion draft, etc.

For next season I agree we would probably have a better chance at the playoffs keeping him and adding a top 4 dman with something else. But bigger picture I may take the "lesser" chance next year for the betterment of the defense and the cap in the long run.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Heck, it's not like the booing was undeserved or surprising when it happened. They were down 4-1, hemmed in their own zone, and kept turning the puck over. Give the fans something to cheer about and they will. Does Eichel think the players are the only ones who get frustrated when the team plays like garbage?

It's almost like fans boo bad play to hopefully light a fire under them and get them playing for cheers. Like a negative/positive reinforcement type deal.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think that is how it should go. Fans should be cheering before the game even starts. I remember Girgensons complained about the atmosphere. Fans wait for something to happen.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I think thats a bit hopeful that he takes 3-4 years unless his game tails off again, he has more injuries or he gets into more trouble. I would think at least 5 years again, since he'll only be 26/27 as a UFA.

For next season I agree we would probably have a better chance at the playoffs keeping him and adding a top 4 dman with something else. But bigger picture I may take the "lesser" chance next year for the betterment of the defense and the cap in the long run.

Strong agree.

You also have to consider the asset cost of keeping Kane and losing him for nothing next year.

I'd rather sell high, acquire that additional Top 4 (hopefully Top 2) D-man that's so sorely needed, and look to FA or the trade market to find ES scoring help (I get that you can't get much better than Kane in that department, but it is what it is).

In addition, no amount of "he's learned from his mistakes!" will convince me that it's only a matter of time before we see Kane in handcuffs or in the middle of a nasty scandal once again. If previous players with off-ice issues or incidents, from all sports, are any indicator, history will repeat itself.

I love the player we're seeing right now. He's becoming what we all hoped he'd be. I get it.

But for the love of all things holy, sell high.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I don't think that is how it should go. Fans should be cheering before the game even starts. I remember Girgensons complained about the atmosphere. Fans wait for something to happen.

Ideally, yeah. But it's not exactly an easy thing to do when for the past 5 years the team has done nothing but lose. Once the team starts playing decent (makes the playoffs once or twice) and shows some promise, I guarantee the atmosphere is much more lively during Tuesday games in February.

The noise level was pretty damn impressive when they were scoring those goals (and a bunch of fans had already left). Buffalo fans have it in them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad