GDT: #53 – Sharks at Sabres – Tue Feb 7, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
A Bogo - shattenkirk 2nd pairing would take a lot of pressure off Risto

The best possibility would be re-signing Kulikov to a short term deal (2-3yrs), Shattenkirk to a 6yr-$7M deal.

Kulikov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Shattenkirk
Guhle-Bogosian

*this is really only possible if one of Ennis or Moulson get picked in the Expansion Draft.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Yep. Impossible. :rolleyes:

You tell me who the trade bait is. I'm also open to moving Reinhart and Nylander, but you gotta give to get.

Reinhart is a no-go for me.

Foligno
Girgensons
Nylander
Bailey
Baptiste
Fasching
Pu
Asplund
1st round 2017

Lots of ammo there.

My point is that there is more than Kane available that can get a deal done.

It seems that the majority sees Kane for D man as the only move.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I don't mind the vitriol behind eichel's comments, as I like that kind of fire and energy, but there's more than just scarsam and youth in his replies. But that's still fine imo, because that's how you grow as a person, and likely as a player.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Foligno
Girgensons
Nylander
Bailey
Baptiste
Fasching
Pu
Asplund
1st round 2017

Lots of ammo there.

Yeah, if some team wants 18 guys for 1, I'm sure we could make the value work out on paper.

In reality, if the most valuable thing you're willing to move is Nylander, we're not getting back what we need.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

Foligno
Girgensons
Nylander
Bailey
Baptiste
Fasching
Pu
Asplund
1st round 2017

Lots of ammo there.

But what started this discussion is that Kane's value is peaking right now. There's plenty of guys who can be moved, none of them have the value of Kane as a rental to a contender. Not even Kane would have that much value if he had a couple more years on his deal. the fact that he's playing good hockey, and that if he's a headache his contract is almost up just adds to his value right now imo.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

Foligno
Girgensons
Nylander
Bailey
Baptiste
Fasching
Pu
Asplund
1st round 2017

Lots of ammo there.

I love how people act as if Buffalo needs another elite d-man. The Sabres need 2 quality- to above average starters going forward. It's not as if you have to sell the farm to get a couple quality starters. Yes, they are not cheap, but Buffalo doesn't have to trade Reinhart to get a quality dman.

I understand why Kane is a staple for a trade: He's youngish, hes a UFA after next year, and is currently hot, coupled with the fact that our best prospects are wingers.

Kane does not have as much trade value as some think: while he is still young he is reaching the peak of his career and will command a good contract. When Buffalo acquired Kane he had 3.5 (3) years left at a decent rate. He would have 1 year left and then command probably in the $5-6.5m range for 5-7 years.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
But what started this discussion is that Kane's value is peaking right now. There's plenty of guys who can be moved, none of them have the value of Kane as a rental to a contender. Not even Kane would have that much value if he had a couple more years on his deal. the fact that he's playing good hockey, and that if he's a headache his contract is almost up just adds to his value right now imo.

Kane is not a rental since he has another year + he needs to be protected. Kane on a fair contract for 3 years was one of the reasons why acquiring him was so pricey.

Buffalo bought high on Kane and we want to sell him high? Murray had a long term plan with Kane in the picture.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
What has Kane done while in Buffalo that has actually harmed the team? There hasn't been a single issue in the locker room or with the team. In fact I'd say his teammates love having him on the team. He's fast, strong, tough and a tenacious player. He forechecks and hits and is a goal scorer. He has 36 goals in 107 games as a Sabre. Considering that includes an 11 game goalless streak to start this season that's damn good. It's hard to find 25 year olds who can forecheck and play physical like Kane. He is also one of our best PKers. If he will re-sign at 5.5 or 5.75 then I want him extended. It seems the board wants to emulate the Kings and Kane plays that heavy game. In fact Kane's game is a playoff type game. I like having Kane and Foligno in the top 9 at LW, we just got to find that LW1 who can play with Eichel. I was not a fan of the Kane trade and advocated moving him but after this season and realizing the difficulty of replacing him I am firmly in the extend Kane camp. I just don't see us being able to find a player who can hit, forecheck, PK and score 25 goals a season like Kane does. He was personally targeted by Murray so I expect him to keep him.

I know we need defense but trading Kane for a dman doesn't make the Sabres that much better if at all. We need to add a few dmen AND keep Kane. In fact we need another top 6 forward on this team, not move one.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I love how people act as if Buffalo needs another elite d-man. The Sabres need 2 quality- to above average starters going forward. It's not as if you have to sell the farm to get a couple quality starters. Yes, they are not cheap, but Buffalo doesn't have to trade Reinhart to get a quality dman.

I understand why Kane is a staple for a trade: He's youngish, hes a UFA after next year, and is currently hot, coupled with the fact that our best prospects are wingers.

Kane does not have as much trade value as some think: while he is still young he is reaching the peak of his career and will command a good contract. When Buffalo acquired Kane he had 3.5 (3) years left at a decent rate. He would have 1 year left and then command probably in the $5-6.5m range for 5-7 years.

Nothing short of Eichel is getting us an elite defenseman, and maybe not even then. If you want a top pairing defenseman, it's going to cost you. And there's no bigger hole on this team than someone who actually excels in their own end.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If there's any deal involving Kane to be made, especially for D help, it's going to have to wait until the end of the season. No team that might want to add Kane for a playoff run is going to part with a useful member of their D--it will be all futures, and that's probably not what we really need.

Kane's not moving at the deadline. Maybe at the expansion or entry drafts.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Kane is not a rental since he has another year + he needs to be protected. Kane on a fair contract for 3 years was one of the reasons why acquiring him was so pricey.

Buffalo bought high on Kane and we want to sell him high? Murray had a long term plan with Kane in the picture.

My point was that he's not signed for an unreasonable ammount of time. 2 or 3 more years with his personal problems might be hard to sell. With 1 year left he qualifies for the expansion draft or a team could dump him to get back picks. He would be amazing expansion coverage for other players a team doesn't want to lose. Like if Pittsburgh wants to keep MAF and Murray they could bring in Kane and I'm 99% sure exposing him would insure he's picked over one of the goalies.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I like Jack chirping the crowd a bit.

He seems to have a rare even-keeled/positive trait that leads to late game magic. After another comeback recently Bylsma recounted how Jack was on the bench insisting they'd win.

He just watched his football team and favorite athlete complete an all-time comeback, and I have no doubt that he emulates the Pats' cool in the clutch. Granted our fan base hasn't had many reasons to believe recently, but this team has shown some remarkable fight. It's probably time to sit back and enjoy the ride this year whatever happens.

It's a good sign that Jack believes though.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Man, watching that OT goal again - Dunleavy really was bringing it tonight.

"Eichel - carries! - Kane - BURIES! SCORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE!"

Crazy Bogo

Aug 26, 2016
I stopped watching during the 2nd because I'm bad luck but did anyone comment about his body language after the 2nd goal? Hey gave O'Reilly a "Yeah, whatever" shrug when Ryan pointed to him.

I thought that was weird AF too... I love Jack but sometimes he acts and looks like a pompous villain in a high school movie

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Jack is unbelievably strong on his skates. You'd think he had tree trunks under him. Jeez the power strides and shaking off defenders.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The paranoid "Buffalonian" side of me... doesn't like seeing Eichel, the guy who will hopefully spend his entire career in Buffalo, regularly butting heads with the fans (for booing them), or coaching (for taking him off the PP for a shift), or what have you. The last thing we need is to give the young, elite talent any excuses to bolt as a free agent.

If this is just the way his youth and emotion manifests itself though, that's fine. I like it more than the typical canned post-game lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad