GDT: #52| New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | January 21st | 7:00pm | F/W 5-3

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Nutty win. They almost gave the game away in the first half but clawed back. The plumbers really kept this club in it, and a lucky error by the Rangers gave them the go ahead late. Poulin was very much a mixed bag tonight. Some great saves on shots through traffic, but poor rebound control that lead to unnecessary second SOGs and an inability to close the mit or stop things when the action got crazy... Talbot had a good first period but didn't look like anything better than a B goaltender.

I hope they can keep this up. But would it be too much to ask for a win where they take the lead, play consistent for 60, and win?

Oh, and you folk having a good cry over how wonderful Martinek was. P.U. You all need to go back and watch the first period. He wasn't Donovan bad defensively, but he wasn't good.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Guys what a god damned game. Went with my buddies first game ever outside of the coliseum and we win. Engaged with one idiot but he got kicked out in the 2nd period. We showed those rags LGI

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Isles were the better team and deserved it. All the bad luck From earlier this season is balancing out.

Still a long way to go but nice to see some on-ice success. I still want Nabokov, Visnovsky and Hamonic back to see what this team looks like, especially with guys like deHaan and Hickey emerging as legit NHL dmen.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
"I really thought that we were the better team the whole game. Even though they went up 2-0, that was the only two opportunities they had," Tavares said.

This is funny because I said the same thing to myself when they were losing 2-0.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Isles were the better team and deserved it. All the bad luck From earlier this season is balancing out.

Still a long way to go but nice to see some on-ice success. I still want Nabokov, Visnovsky and Hamonic back to see what this team looks like, especially with guys like deHaan and Hickey emerging as legit NHL dmen.

It would be nice to have these pairings, not that bad to be honest.

de Haan-Hamonic
Hickey-Visnovsky
Strait-Amac

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Nutty win. They almost gave the game away in the first half but clawed back. The plumbers really kept this club in it, and a lucky error by the Rangers gave them the go ahead late. Poulin was very much a mixed bag tonight. Some great saves on shots through traffic, but poor rebound control that lead to unnecessary second SOGs and an inability to close the mit or stop things when the action got crazy... Talbot had a good first period but didn't look like anything better than a B goaltender.

I hope they can keep this up. But would it be too much to ask for a win where they take the lead, play consistent for 60, and win?

Oh, and you folk having a good cry over how wonderful Martinek was. P.U. You all need to go back and watch the first period. He wasn't Donovan bad defensively, but he wasn't good.

I thought Martinek was bad the whole game, but that's just me.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
One of the most enjoyable games to watch all year. That was a very good win. It's pretty damn incredible how this team is winning games after all the times they are trailing early on.

The first line is something else. People thought Moulson and Tavares had chemistry. The chemistry JT and Vanek have is unreal. Some very sweet plays. Very creative and KO has been a stud. One thing I'll note, I hope JT does work on his shot in the offseason. Imagine how much more of an incredible player he would be with a lethal shot, ready to snipe from anywhere. His wrister is actually above average but his slapshot needs a bit of work. He just needs more power in his shots and more accuracy.

Poulin was very good in the game. He did what he had to do behind a very below average defense. His rebound control still needs to improve though. Part of the reason Poulin is always flopping around 'cuz of his recovery to make a second save. But he was excellent. I thought the save he made in the first that ultimately led to the Isles scoring was a game changer. I don't know if Poulin is the goalie of the future for us, but he has tons of potential and will only get better and better.

De Haan is a stud. He is so smooth with every move he makes.

Donovan sucks. Nothing else to say about that.

It's gonna be very hard to make the playoffs but these back to back divisional wins are huge and they're in the race.

Let's go Isles!

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I'd package him in a deal at the deadline with a pick to get upgrade at this point, he has done all he can do here, if Bertuzzi stayed on the Island he probably would not even have 250 career points, change of scenery sometimes works.

Bailey is a modern day Dave Chyzowski with a longer leash.

you hit the nail right on the head on that one. Ive been more impressed with B Nelson in half a season, than i have been with Bailey over the past 6(?) years hes been here. I just dont see it with him, and I don't see enough talent there to warrant his top 10 draft position. Actually, the talent is there, but he has no idea how to utilize it.

The only time I was ever impressed with Bailey was when he scored 2 goals against Dallas in the beginning of the 10-11 season (wen Tavares missed a few games). Other than that, i see a lazy, uninspired player, who tries to get too cute with the puck.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

The only good thing about Matinek in the lineup is that he keeps Carkner out of it.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
For those who were at the game last night: Were the "Let's go Islanders" chants loud at the Garden? It sounded like there was a significant Islanders contingent there.

I had to drive my gf to work, so I passed on the cheap StubHub tix. Missed a good one.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I agree that's happened under AV vs the NJD and Isles. I don't agree with you that that was the case during the Torts era.

It's been that way under Renney, Torts and AV

it's an air of arrogance that the Rangers "TRY" to display against the Islanders.

Torts was huge in trying to down play the significance of these games.

It's like there's some edict from upper management to not delve into what this match up really is.

The NYR-NYI games are NOT just another game on the schedule and to treat the games with any less respect than respect than they deserve is doing a disservice to the fan bases for both teams and NHL as a whole.

hi-jacking thread. Sorry.

Good win.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
For those who were at the game last night: Were the "Let's go Islanders" chants loud at the Garden? It sounded like there was a significant Islanders contingent there.

I had to drive my gf to work, so I passed on the cheap StubHub tix. Missed a good one.

Yeah man, we had some pretty good ones going. It got pretty loud on a bunch of occasions. I wonder if it sounded loud on TV? The GWG it got really loud as well

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
When looking at the boxscore its amazing how JT put up 3 assists. JT seemed off his game most of the night and still was able to help the team win.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
It's been that way under Renney, Torts and AV

it's an air of arrogance that the Rangers "TRY" to display against the Islanders.

Torts was huge in trying to down play the significance of these games.

It's like there's some edict from upper management to not delve into what this match up really is.

The NYR-NYI games are NOT just another game on the schedule and to treat the games with any less respect than respect than they deserve is doing a disservice to the fan bases for both teams and NHL as a whole.

hi-jacking thread. Sorry.

Good win.

IDK, I disagree because what Torts says to the media and what he says to the players is likely two different things. If you took what the Islanders staff says it probably wouldn't be all that different.

I hated playing Torts Rangers. You knew they would fight you tooth and nail for every puck. Regardless of what was said to the media when you have a coach that intense and a team that committed and you put them in the Isles-Rags fishbowl generally they are only going to play harder. Against the Tortorella rangers I never felt a 1 goal lead was safe, I never thought a tie was in our favor, and I never thought we would come back against a deficit.

I can't say the same for the Renney or AV led teams. This current team in particular seems devoid of emotion.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

Made up for the goal we gave up on the BS call on Martin.

Groin Of Bates

Jan 11, 2007
I was very impressed with how loud the Isles fans were on the TV. Props to you guys.

Yes, there were a decent amount of Isles fans there last night. Im sure that was due to the snow-storm working in our favor.

I will say that the new MSG looks absolutely beautiful. Had a chance to walk on the new bridge and it is an awesome place to sit and watch the game.

If only we had an arena like that...

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Great job by our fans who went to the game, sounded loud over the TV, great to hear something intelligent out of a crowd chant at Madi$on $quare Garbage for a change. :handclap:
Great last two days Nets crushed the Knicks Monday and the Islanders last night. :handclap:
Wearing the JT jersey here in school, the students let out a loud cheer that they are getting no homework this weekend. :yo:

Last edited:

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
One of the most enjoyable games to watch all year. That was a very good win. It's pretty damn incredible how this team is winning games after all the times they are trailing early on.

The first line is something else. People thought Moulson and Tavares had chemistry. The chemistry JT and Vanek have is unreal. Some very sweet plays. Very creative and KO has been a stud. One thing I'll note, I hope JT does work on his shot in the offseason. Imagine how much more of an incredible player he would be with a lethal shot, ready to snipe from anywhere. His wrister is actually above average but his slapshot needs a bit of work. He just needs more power in his shots and more accuracy.

Poulin was very good in the game. He did what he had to do behind a very below average defense. His rebound control still needs to improve though. Part of the reason Poulin is always flopping around 'cuz of his recovery to make a second save. But he was excellent. I thought the save he made in the first that ultimately led to the Isles scoring was a game changer. I don't know if Poulin is the goalie of the future for us, but he has tons of potential and will only get better and better.

De Haan is a stud. He is so smooth with every move he makes.

Donovan sucks. Nothing else to say about that.

It's gonna be very hard to make the playoffs but these back to back divisional wins are huge and they're in the race.

Let's go Isles!

for a while, people were saying the complete opposite. CdH really has played well and you can see he thinks the game better than Donovan. Very cerebral defenseman

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Great job by our fans who went to the game, sounded loud over the TV, great to hear something intelligent out of a crowd chant at Madi$on $quare Garbage for a change. :handclap:
Great last two days Nets crushed the Knicks Monday and the Islanders last night. :handclap:
Wearing the JT jersey here in school, the students let out a loud cheer that they are getting no homework this weekend. :yo:

hahah thats so funny that you do that, I'm sure your entire class are islander fans, no one wants weekend homework! :naughty:

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
for a while, people were saying the complete opposite. CdH really has played well and you can see he thinks the game better than Donovan. Very cerebral defenseman

...i actually think donovan has been....less horrendous....lately.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
When looking at the boxscore its amazing how JT put up 3 assists. JT seemed off his game most of the night and still was able to help the team win.

He's actually done this a lot this year, it's pretty crazy. He gets it done very quietly. Honestly, from an eye test point of view, there have been many times this year I felt Tavares has looked off or just not like we all know he can be. Yet, he's second in the league in points and is consistently putting up points. I guess that's the mark of a one of a kind incredible player. When he doesn't seem active or doing much on the ice, he's quietly contributing and making plays.
He did make one beautiful re direction pass to Vanek though for the go ahead goal last night.

Last edited:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
DRex is doing his part to make sure there is a future fan base for this team. It's a textbook use of the Pavlov's Classical Conditioning method. :)

Very true PW, as a teacher it is important the students learn the right team to root for-or else.
More seriously I'm sure the students think they are getting away with something this weekend with no homework. Guess they don't know any better. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad