GDT: #52| New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | January 21st | 7:00pm | F/W 5-3

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I don't know if I am hallucinating but one of the better players on the ice tonight was Radek Martinek. I pretty much had given up on him, but I think he can have good games still,... of course he is not a solution even for this season, but his veteran presence is needed at times on the blue line.

Hipietro

Sep 3, 2006
Long Island
That's funny Hipietro...you call us arrogant yet your post was very arrogant. And I didn't say we the fans don't care. I said the actual Rangers players don't care as much.

Well I don't know what to tell you. If your players don't care then they don't deserve to win. :laugh:

Have a good one.

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
I don't know if I am hallucinating but one of the better players on the ice tonight was Radek Martinek. I pretty much had given up on him, but I think he can have good games still,... of course he is not a solution even for this season, but his veteran presence is needed at times on the blue line.

I noticed him too. Wanna know why...cause he was hitting people. ***cough*** Bailey***cough***

scott99

May 13, 2005
What a great win, nothing better in hockey than the Islanders beating the Rangers in the Garden, so satisfying. Two straight wins at the Garden. Tavares and the boys just won't give up, down 2-0 or 3-1, who cares ? They believe they can come back and win. Win or lose, this team does not give up. JT with a great night, playing world class hockey at the Garden. Okposo has 50 points now I believe. Vanek playing inspired hockey, a true playmaker and sniper. Nielsen having his best season ever. Just enjoyable after such a crappy first 26 games (8-15-3), now (13-9-4) in the last 26. 10 games until the break, need to go 6-3-1 to be .500 before the break.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
He showed some promise of having a really good game early in the tilt.

Maybe 1-2 shifts but somehow vanishes as the game progresses, I can't blame his listlessness on being rushed too soon, it just is a mental thing for him, unless he can motivate himself throughout an entire game consistently, he is not going to matter at some point. If he was a 4th round pick, he would be gone from the NHL already, as the twinkle of promise would not be there

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Bailey is a lost cause, I think one of the coaches needs to use a remote control to coach him.... The way he produces, you might as well have Boulton suit up.

Bailey needs a shrink, this pointless streak has to be screwing with his head....send him down to BP, work on the mental side and maybe he comes up next year

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Good win guys.

The never quit attitude you guys have is refreshing.

And not a dig at you, this is a dig at the Rangers, but thank you for bringing some intensity to the game. The Rangers act like these match ups are just another game on the schedule.

They may say other wise, but what they do on the ice tells a vastly different story.

Hopefully the Rangers see some tape and make the proper adjustments in the sacks and play a better game next time.

I agree that's happened under AV vs the NJD and Isles. I don't agree with you that that was the case during the Torts era.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine

I like Radek and think he can be useful in a limited role in a limited number of games. I'd rather have him in than Carkner against most opponents, but if Martinek played more games his fragility could become an issue. It's just too bad a combination of injuries and a lack of depth bit us in the rear this year and that we still need Martinek.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Bailey needs a shrink, this pointless streak has to be screwing with his head....send him down to BP, work on the mental side and maybe he comes up next year

I'd package him in a deal at the deadline with a pick to get upgrade at this point, he has done all he can do here, if Bertuzzi stayed on the Island he probably would not even have 250 career points, change of scenery sometimes works.

Bailey is a modern day Dave Chyzowski with a longer leash.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
One more thought:
Going into this season, I'd say the players we could least afford to lose were Tavares, Nabokov, Hamonic, and Visnovsky, in that order. Well, we're currently playing without THREE of those players but still are doing pretty well. You can blame Snow for leaving some glaring holes, but the silver lining is that a lot of our young players are getting valuable playing time, either in the NHL or elsewhere. Now, if Poulin can show some consistency; Reinhart, Pulock, and Pokka develop into the players they can be; and we can re-sign Vanek, we could end up having a very dangerous team.

Or maybe I should just lay off the Kool-Aid for a while...

Janson

fireSNOW
Aug 5, 2007
Islander Country
Martinek is like our version of tommy albelin minus the cups. never gets respect but all around solid. he stays healthier longer when paired with a physical dman too.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
One more thought:
Going into this season, I'd say the players we could least afford to lose were Tavares, Nabokov, Hamonic, and Visnovsky, in that order. Well, we're currently playing without THREE of those players but still are doing pretty well. You can blame Snow for leaving some glaring holes, but the silver lining is that a lot of our young players are getting valuable playing time, either in the NHL or elsewhere. Now, if Poulin can show some consistency; Reinhart, Pulock, and Pokka develop into the players they can be; and we can re-sign Vanek, we could end up having a very dangerous team.

Or maybe I should just lay off the Kool-Aid for a while...

I think it is a mild dose of Kool-Aid. Prospects are hit or miss and some will be better than anticipated, look at Brock Nelson and some will never be like Bailey, however Snow can't make the impossible happen, players don't come here on their own, we are not on the top 10 list, even if we overpay by 15% to get the players.

But the team just needs to figure out why they hit these horrific skids at the same time every year. And why they come up with Herculean victories in the winter each year.

My stance on Capuano is changing at least, I think he could be growing into a decent coach.

I think the team has historically done worse when AMAC or Okposo were hurt, mainly because of the minutes both guys eat up on the ice. The team revolves around JT, but I think this year's 3 keys have been

1) Calvin De Haan - yes, he has fooled us
2) Okposo and Nielsen's rise to the next level
3) The improvement of the penalty kill

NYCoolRunner

Apr 8, 2011
Just got back from the game. That was awesome! There were quite a few islander fans in attendance, so I was happy about that. When we walked in they were giving away Rangers scarves and I had to respectfully turn one down haha. Shoulda burned it... Definitely an electric feeling when Vanek scored.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
THis team just continues to find ways to score...one of the few teams in the league that can't actually score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad