GDT: #52 – Sabres at Devils – Mon Feb 6, 7:00PM ET – MSG-B

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
The style the Devils play has by and by not changed in 20 years. The only time they didn't get away with it was surprise, surprise, in 2005-2007 when the league actually went back to calling interference. Do you remember those seasons and how exciting the game was? But of course, why call penalties when you can have tonight's crapshow. I'm sure Devils fans (all 12 of them) were even falling asleep in the stands.

In the long run, losses are what this team needs. Not a good idea to pull ahead of bubble teams like the Devils when we all know the ultimate result will be for this team.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I feel like we're a better team than the Devils, but for some reason we just do not match up well against them.

Also, jeez. Could they please call some interference for crying out loud?! It's getting absurd.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I feel like we're a better team than the Devils, but for some reason we just do not match up well against them.

Also, jeez. Could they please call some interference for crying out loud?! It's getting absurd.

It's the same as Carolina. Bylsma is unable to adjust the strategy to execute a breakout against these teams' forecheck.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Cooper and Julien going to be available soon.

Well lets hope we jump all over Julien because he would be an amazing upgrade behind the bench.

I just don't dream about it much b/c Idk what it's gonna take to get rid of this coach.

He literally has no ability to make adjustments in game...and the system we play is so boring beyond belief..It hurts.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
O'Reolly not one clean draw that entire sequence, ugh.

Some factors to consider... the linesman's puck drop was difficult to anticipate. RoR was trying to compensate and get first swipe and guessed wrong twice. The other three were tie ups.

His opponent was playing the body. As soon as the puck was dropped, the NJ player simply wrapped up RoR's stick and arms and twisted RoR's body by thrusting his leg between RoR's. That meant that the Buffalo fads needed to recover the puck.

RoR was wanting to pull the puck off his backhand to the left behind him. The Sabre fwds loaded on that side could not get to the puck (essentially in RoR's feet because they were being wrapped up and tackled by their face off opponents.

NJ's player at the hashmarks in the slot was a righty, had his back turned to the Sabre forward and managed to tap the puck back to the NJ D waiting at the bottom of the circle.

Overall, pretty well executed by NJ.. Especially since they knew no interference would be called.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The style the Devils play has by and by not changed in 20 years. The only time they didn't get away with it was surprise, surprise, in 2005-2007 when the league actually went back to calling interference. Do you remember those seasons and how exciting the game was? But of course, why call penalties when you can have tonight's crapshow. I'm sure Devils fans (all 12 of them) were even falling asleep in the stands.

In the long run, losses are what this team needs. Not a good idea to pull ahead of bubble teams like the Devils when we all know the ultimate result will be for this team.

Completely false about the Devils, but hey, when you're arguably the least effective structured team in the league, might as well try to fall back on old tire schticks to make yourself feel better.

For people complaining about ROR, not winning faceoffs, PLENTY of those faceoffs were toss ups. Both centerman were tied up. When that happens, your wingers need to go and get the puck. The ineffectiveness of our wingers in this matter was the downfall of our possession, not ROR not winning the faceoff cleanly. Yes, it would be nice to win a faceoff, but it's not like Zajac is a bad faceoff guy. NJ got their best guy out there, and we had ours. It was 50/50. Our guys just don't know what the hell to do.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Completely false about the Devils, but hey, when you're arguably the least effective structured team in the league, might as well try to fall back on old tire schticks to make yourself feel better.

For people complaining about ROR, not winning faceoffs, PLENTY of those faceoffs were toss ups. Both centerman were tied up. When that happens, your wingers need to go and get the puck. The ineffectiveness of our wingers in this matter was the downfall of our possession, not ROR not winning the faceoff cleanly. Yes, it would be nice to win a faceoff, but it's not like Zajac is a bad faceoff guy. NJ got their best guy out there, and we had ours. It was 50/50. Our guys just don't know what the hell to do.

He wasn't mad that he did or didn't win the faceoff. He was mad that he didn't win them "clean". Especially since guys don't ever try extra hard to tie you up torwards the end of the game to make sure you don't win them clean or anything.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's quintessentially NHL to call back a goal on an offsides over 20 seconds prior to the goal, but count a goal where a forward's stick hit the goaltender and prevented him from catching the puck, leading to a goal less than two seconds later. And that's one of the many reasons why yours is a niche sport, Gary.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Reading about the game it looks like Lehner had another very very strong game, he can't be blamed for this loss, or?

Lehner is currently sixth in NHL save percentage, impressive especially playing for a shaky young talanted up and coming team like the Sabres. After a shaky start, including injuries and recovering after a concussion he is finally playing up to his potential showing his capacity.

Tim Murray is more and more looking like a genius with the Senators as the clear loosers. The fun thing is that Lehner was one of the bigger fan favorites in Ottawa before getting traded. After getting traded some of the Senators fans quickly changed their views about Lehner in a negative way though. I guess some of them kind of wished he would fail, don't wanting to come out as the looser of the trade making them look stupid one more time?

I don't agree with this article at all.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mich...y-over-Murray-Lehner-in-net-tonight/209/74033

"Lehner trade hangs heavy over Murray"

Really, Murray may turn out being a ****ing genius over time, suck it, haters. The move from Murray was very gutsy and brave, that's for sure, yes. Murray have a Calder Cup Trophy together with Lehner and knew what he was made of. Robin being coached by his father Michael who also is the goalie coach behind Lundqvist.

I believe articles like the one above will become more and more rare and finally changed to something positive.

Sixth in NHL save percentage playing in Buffalo, not sure anyone would have made it better than Lehner?

I would say stop judging Robin from this 2015 first round pick (21st-overall)/Legwand trade, now you see he was all worth it? You get what you pay for, what's the problem, please explain?

Last edited:

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
It's quintessentially NHL to call back a goal on an offsides over 20 seconds prior to the goal, but count a goal where a forward's stick hit the goaltender and prevented him from catching the puck, leading to a goal less than two seconds later. And that's one of the many reasons why yours is a niche sport, Gary.

I think that's being kind.

Is PBA bowling still killing the NHL in TV ratings?

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad