GDT: #50| New York Islanders @ Philidelphia Flyers | January 18th | 7:00pm | F/L 6-4

camper*

Dec. was a good month……yet…. all 3 losses all had the 1st line playing 22-25mins..minus 2 and 3 for the line in all cases.
Dec. wins they played 19-21 mins…..except 1……..see any relation to team success here:nod:

Team usage and over use is key…three letters spell success……….TOI………needing to score more is not the problem…tail chasing overplaying personel is…for every goal they give up you now have to put them out there again to attempt to get it back? Leading to yet another…..Not too often the dog catches his tail…he usually tires himself out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Dec. was a good month……yet…. all 3 losses all had the 1st line playing 22-25mins..minus 2 and 3 for the line in all cases.
Dec. wins they played 19-21 mins…..except 1……..see any relation to team success here:nod:

Team usage and over use is key…three letters spell success……….TOI………needing to score more is not the problem…tail chasing overplaying personel is…for every goal they give up you now have to put them out there again to attempt to get it back? Leading to yet another…..Not too often the dog catches his tail…he usually tires himself out!

Exactly what I thought (yet again) watching the 3rd period last night. They had nothing left in the tank. Is that ONLY on the coach? Or is the haphazard middle and upper management equally to blame?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Didn't see the game last night. What happened to all the DeHaan for Calder and Poulin goalie of the future talk? Sounds like they were both pedestrian last night. Why didn't Cappy pull Poulin? Two shots in the 3rd period?

banehardens

Feb 19, 2013
Didn't see the game last night. What happened to all the DeHaan for Calder and Poulin goalie of the future talk? Sounds like they were both pedestrian last night. Why didn't Cappy pull Poulin? Two shots in the 3rd period?

Both were pretty awful last night and were directly responsible for at least one goal each.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Both were pretty awful last night and were directly responsible for at least one goal each.
We really miss Hamonic esp against the Flyers. Carkner in place of Hammer is a BIG down grade on D. Even bigger than missing Vis.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I'm reminded of a certain game against the penguins where he was head coach. That night was magical. I guess not every one can be as passionate every night as torts...and believe me, I'd trade cappy's ass in a heartbeat for torts, But I will never forget that night.. he has it in him.
The real problem is his assessment of talent.

That night against the Pens occurred because of the players. The players finally decided they had been abused enough and they took things into their own hands. It had nothing to do with Flintstone.

camper*

Exactly what I thought (yet again) watching the 3rd period last night. They had nothing left in the tank. Is that ONLY on the coach? Or is the haphazard middle and upper management equally to blame?

Unfortunately….this problem happens yearly…..too much = less….I really believe this is not a bad team….sure due to youth be it in goal or D …mistakes will happen yet they show a resiliency to overcome....which time will heal:nod: The game is built on mistakes..if not it would be played in the neutral zone…..……over usage of parts causes breakdowns……..most notably it is not conducive to team play….the same team play we hear about in post game interviews. If you or I see it…one would think player personel also would:nod:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
4th goal- Dehaan and Donovan on ice
5 th- goal Dehaan and Donovan on ice
All goals - Poulin on ice

Can we blame the rookies?

Josh Bailey looked scared out on the ice last night. Very extra more than normal timid. Lots of poor decisions from him with the puck. Should not be on the power play

Last nights loss hurt like a stick in the crotch. Just ask KO

Last edited:

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City

Josh Bailey looked scared out on the ice last night. Very extra more than normal timid. Lots of poor decisions from him with the puck. Should not be on the power play

Agree with this x1000. He needs to be scratched for Monday's game, but with Strome down there really isn't anyone to take his place.

As for blaming the rookies part...The Isles controlled the majority of the first two periods, and if not for some bad calls it would've been at least a two goal lead going into the third.

Now, I'm not defending the coaches of the performance of the players, but honestly, how far can you expect this team to go when they're missing their top 2D and starting goalie?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Give him a goalie, scoring depth, and one more top four defenseman and we can talk about how "bad" he is.bottom line Snow failed Cappy not the other way around.snow had a playoff team if he did ONE thing.... Gotten a goalie. I agree with you 100%, Cappy isn't the problem Snow is.

Now with that said next season I want all new coaches and a GM :laugh:

An owner would be nice too...

If we had upped the offer to Nino and our 1st for Schneider we'd be in the playoff hunt right now. As much as Pulock might be, Schneider ALREADY IS.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Last nights loss hurt like a stick in the crotch. Just ask KO

So De Haan had a bad game? Rookies make mistakes and that fifth goal was on Poulin. He needs to learn to move like a goalie not like a fish out of water. The fourth goal I don't quite remember but that game was on Poulin. He makes that save on the first goal and we win that game.

Snow is such a great GM for not giving Vancouver/LA that first rounder and Niño for their goalies. Poulin needs to be able to develop not rushed. If we brought in Bernier and resigned Nabby we are a playoff team right now. Even if we tolled Thomas and resigned Nabby we are in the hunt right now.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Cant we bring up Anders Lee for a few games? I mean really, Why do we have to see Bailey on the ice again? Id rather see Anders for a few games and send him back before the break.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
So Poulin back to his old ways after playing really well the last few games :-(
Isles really should've wrapped this up in the second but they didn't and always looked like actually. Bad, bad loss.

Poulin back to his old ways, WHAT OLD WAYS? Hes played a total of 45 games in his NHL career. He made some mistakes, it happens. If anyone went back to our their old ways, it was the team as a whole and our D... Poulins got a lot of work to do and some of those goals, specifically the 1st one were inexcusable.

Poulin is the Islands scapegoat. Cappy/Wang are still incompetent and the root of our poor organization not KP.

When our D allows the opponent to maintain control of the puck in our Defensive zone and GET opportunities like their on the power play (when its even strength) that is the problem. It's a numbers game and we kept giving them chances. That is why we lost.

Clearly, we need to play our Game. Were not the Kings Hawks or Blues and clearly can't go into the 3rd with a maintenance mindset. This team plays best when were on the attack and seems to score in spontaneous circumstances. Whatever shots Cappy is calling aren't compatible with this roster , whens he gonna get it?!:rant:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Poulin back to his old ways, WHAT OLD WAYS? Hes played a total of 45 games in his NHL career. He made some mistakes, it happens. If anyone went back to our their old ways, it was the team as a whole and our D... Poulins got a lot of work to do and some of those goals, specifically the 1st one were inexcusable.

Poulin is the Islands scapegoat. Cappy/Wang are still incompetent and the root of our poor organization not KP.

When our D allows the opponent to maintain control of the puck in our Defensive zone and GET opportunities like their on the power play (when its even strength) that is the problem. It's a numbers game and we kept giving them chances. That is why we lost.

Clearly, we need to play our Game. Were not the Kings Hawks or Blues and clearly can't go into the 3rd with a maintenance mindset. This team plays best when were on the attack and seems to score in spontaneous circumstances. Whatever shots Cappy is calling aren't compatible with this roster , whens he gonna get it?!:rant:

Damn... Cappy is such an idiot for letting go of his captain and one of the leading scorers from last year...

He's so dumb for not giving Vancouver Niño AND the first..

It's HIS fault we replaced Streit with Donovan...

I'm guessing Cappy wanted to let PAP go too?

Cappy is the least of this organizations problems (although in a perfect world we replace him with a hardass coach). This teams problems start and end with Wang/Snow.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Amazing how quickly the mood changes around here. Did the loss sting? Sure. But we have a chance to rebound and we went 4 of 6 on the road trip. That's not to shabby.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Amazing how quickly the mood changes around here. Did the loss sting? Sure. But we have a chance to rebound and we went 4 of 6 on the road trip. That's not to shabby.

No, not bad at all. We can still beat the Rangers all three and Philly on Monday. But this loss brought out the weaknesses that we all thought were no brainers during the offseason.

Goaltending problems

Depth at defense

That said we need to beat Philly in regulation. I believe we are only 7 points out, big game Monday.

Janson

fireSNOW
Aug 5, 2007
Islander Country
Couldn't watch the game , sounds like another let down. The Florida regulation loss effectly ended the season in my eyes. We stink in conference but we are horrid in division . Not a good combo to make the playoffs. Rest of the season is damage control, forget playoffs and keep winning in garbage time. Don't need to give Buffalo a top 10 pick this year, their rebuild will get done before ours. :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad