GDT: #50| New York Islanders @ Philidelphia Flyers | January 18th | 7:00pm | F/L 6-4

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

w1k8.jpg

Preview

All time series record: The Flyers lead 140-104-26. Islanders all time @ Flyers are 41-83-11

The New York Islanders have a shot at the winningest road trip in franchise history. That opportunity comes in a city where they rarely win and against an opponent from a division which has been a burden -- their own.

No team has more losses in divisional games than the Islanders, and seven of their next nine opponents are fellow Metropolitan clubs. That stretch begins with a home-and-home set against the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday night with New York going for its ninth win in 10 road games.

This stunning run away from home -- the Islanders lost 13 of their first 17 road games -- includes a 4-0-1 mark on a trek that ends Saturday. The most points they've ever recorded on a road trip is nine, with four wins and one tie on five-game swings in 1978 and 1983.

However, they have only three wins -- one in regulation -- in their last 19 visits to Philadelphia. The Flyers are 32-4-2 in the series since the start of the 2007-08 season.

The Islanders (19-23-7) lost both meetings this season by 5-2 scores, part of their 3-10-3 division record. They've lost 11 of 12 against Metropolitan foes.

While Simmonds is clearly the hottest Flyer, everyone on New York's top line has been rolling. Tavares has eight goals and 11 assists in his past 11 games. Thomas Vanek has 19 points in his last 14 after scoring for the second straight game in Thursday's 2-1 shootout win over Tampa Bay. Kyle Okposo has nine goals and six assists in the last 11 road games.

New York's Kevin Poulin also has been successful since starter Evgeni Nabokov got hurt, going 5-1-0 with a 2.23 goals-against average.

Steve Mason is 4-1-1 with a 1.99 GAA against the Islanders and won both matchups this season.

Vincent Lecavalier had his lone hat trick in the first one and assisted on Simmonds' goal in the last meeting Nov. 23, but he knows this Islanders team is much improved.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/

http://www.islesinfo.com/main.html

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I have a bad feeling we're seeing Boulton tmrw night. And Carkner.

Cappy loves the big boy lineup in these types of games. I don't agree. Keep Donovan, Martinek, McDonald, and Regin in there.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Cappy loves the big boy lineup in these types of games. I don't agree. Keep Donovan, Martinek, McDonald, and Regin in there.

Rinaldo is out. Maybe we see something like this.

TV-JT-KO
Bailey-FN-CC
Grabner-Nelson-CMAC
Boulton-CC-MM

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island

Donovan will be in there. Played well with CdH so they'll roll that pairing again. Carkner could go in for Martinek but they'll probably keep the defense the same and put Boulton in for McDonald or Regin.

Hockey Overlord

Jan 10, 2014
Hottest game of the season fellas like all games in January. Need 4 points vs "Filthy", although on paper they've a really strong team. But who cares! Go Isles!

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Well, congrats to the Islanders. They've put themselves in a position to start doing business. They've climbed out of that terrible hole they dug themselves into and are now positioned at the bottom of "the pack".

There should be no first period letdown. There can be no passengers. We need the matt martin and colin mcdonald of old to start chipping in goals. We need these guys to be firing on all cylinders. From the moment that puck drops.

These guys told everyone before this season started that they thought they were a playoff team. That they could outwork anybody in the league.

Now go into the building tomorrow and get two points. Preferably in regulation, but just get the two damn points. Give yourself a chance to come home for the sweep in front of your building, which will be ROCKING.

I know that this team has players capable of putting together the run needed. We all do. Let's hope that CDH continues his dominance and Poulin stays sharp.

I predict a 6-3 Islanders win tomorrow. We got this.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
In all honesty, this can change the season completely. If we can beat Philly twice, we are right back in the race completely. If we lose both, I don't think I'm being dramatic much, the season would be near over. A split doesn't do any good really, just keeps us as a long shot. If the Isles wanna get back into this and want to see the playoffs again, these 2 games are must wins.

Incarnadine Sea

Mar 4, 2011
Long Island
In all honesty, this can change the season completely. If we can beat Philly twice, we are right back in the race completely. If we lose both, I don't think I'm being dramatic much, the season would be near over. A split doesn't do any good really, just keeps us as a long shot. If the Isles wanna get back into this and want to see the playoffs again, these 2 games are must wins.

I was thinking about this yesterday and I completely agree with you. Win both and we're 4 points behind Philly. Lose both and we're 12 points behind. Not only would losing both make it nearly impossible to climb up the standings, but it would prove that the Islanders just aren't ready for the playoffs.

As stated, these two games are huge, and all of the players know this. Therefore, this is a high pressure game. If the Islanders come out flat, playing with no emotion and no desperation, the season is over in my mind (as far as making the playoffs).

tag0519

Jan 28, 2013
Once again the Flyers lead the league in PIM (by a decent margin). Hopefully we can capitalize on this.

Go Isles!!

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
This run of divisional games before the Olympic break could make or break us. This is where we have to pick up points to get back into playoff contention. Who knows what kind of team will come back after the break. Hopefully not the November/December Islanders.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
we badly need a sweep of these 2 games in regulation.

i hate the flyers, even much more than the rags or pens combined.

they are usually a bunch of punks bur there latest rat punk rinaldo is out for awhile.

they do play a hard game, always play to the end, and are getting better goaltending.

need to finish strong on them if we hold the lead, but they also give up a lot of goals.

doesn't need to be fight nigth but i bet the monday game is if we win this one.

forgive the lower case and punctuation, this is day 1 of post shoulder surgery and i will be one handed for awhile. no 2 handed fist pumps.

lgi

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I have a weird feeling. I am being very positive about the next 3 games...but this isn't the reason for this prediction. I have a feeling we see the islanders of last Aprils playoffs and we dominate the next 3 games. I think they realize the importance and aren't going to let Philly stand in the way and certainly not the rags. Really hope I'm right.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Rinaldo is out. Maybe we see something like this.

TV-JT-KO
Bailey-FN-CC
Grabner-Nelson-CMAC
Boulton-CC-MM

I think at this point I would rather see Regin :)amazed: can't believe I said that) than Bailey. As some mentioned the other night, Bailey is virtually invisible and against a very physical team, he is just not a factor. He doesn't make a the game changing bone head error that AMac does but he is just eating up time. I would love to see Anders Lee up, send Bailey down to work on something or have him go see a shrink since I think alot of the problems are in his head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad