50 in 50 Tracker

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It should be, yes.

Not disagreeing that maybe the NHL should accept that as counting, just not understanding the throw away the hater part. And saying it should be is much different that what you said in the post I replied to

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It’s not stupid at all to track it as 50 team games. People who think it is are not taking the effects of fatigue into consideration. It’s much harder to score one goal per game when you play every single game with the effects of fatigue accumulating, along with minor injuries piling up.

It’s much easier to score at a higher pace when you’re 100% healthy, and facing minimal fatigue (both physically and mentally).

Last edited:

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
People just want the 50 goals in a player's first 50 games played to include their team's guy into a conversation about a great feat, when they don't belong.

50 goals, team's first 50 games. Been a thing for nearly a century, it's not changing now. Stop trying to squeak your guy in there. He doesn't belong.

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
The first year gretzky got 65 in 50 he had 92 goals some players wont even have that many goals in an entire career(his best year points wise as well as goals scored).t
Thats 1.15 goals a game average over 80 games he played.There are guys that wont do that in points in a career in one season of play.

I dont think ovie will do it he will probably end up with 43-46 in 50

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
It's rare either way, lol.
Yeah it's rare even if you take any stretch of regular season games for a player were you ignore if the player missed games or if there was an off season inbetween. The longest Ovechkin has scored at atleast a goal per game is 35 regular season games inbetween the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons were he had exactly 35 goals. Stamkos best stretch is 24 goals in 24 games inbetween the 2009-10 and 2010-11 seasons. And right now we have Laine with the best current stretch of 20 goals in his last 20 games. But the Jets will have some rough games ahead so Laine won't be keeping pace any longer.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Ovechkin has a chance. I know it sounds insane, but the Capitals are just getting healthy and with how much talent they have on the ice it's possible. The Caps PP has not been good over the last month and with Oshie back it's going to hum again.

Saying this, the only chance he has is to pull ahead by New Year's. The record of the Caps opposition until Christmas is bottom of the barrel outside of the Sabres and he'll have to produce like he has lately but I don't see him stopping. How do you stop the Capitals from scoring? Even if it's just PP he's going to get one and Rierden has Ovechkin playing 5v6 for Empty Netters now, something he hasn't done for since like 2010.

Kuhta

Dec 8, 2006
Helsinki
The first year gretzky got 65 in 50 he had 92 goals some players wont even have that many goals in an entire career(his best year points wise as well as goals scored).t
Thats 1.15 goals a game average over 80 games he played.There are guys that wont do that in points in a career in one season of play.

I dont think ovie will do it he will probably end up with 43-46 in 50

45 in 50 today would be a lot better achievement than 50 in 50 those days though.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I estimate that Ovechkin now has a 0.3% chance of scoring 50 goals in 50 games. Obviously the odds are against it but it's remarkable that that his odds are even that high, this late into the season.

Using some basic statistical theory (and assuming no injuries), Ovechkin has about a:
  • 99% chance of reaching 45 goals
  • 93% chance of reaching 50 goals
  • 71% chance of reaching 55 goals
  • 36% chance of reaching 60 goals
  • 11% chance of reaching 65 goals
  • 2% chance of reaching 70 goals
No, I don't think he's actually going to reach 70 - in fact I'm saving the odds are almost 50 to 1 against that happening - but again it's remarkable that the probability is even that high.

Last edited:
Reactions: BallardEra

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
Lol 50 in 50 goes by the first 50 games the team plays. Everyone knows that...

Almost no chance Ovi does it but damn, he's making a good run at it

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
You should feel free to spend your own time doing it.
Are you going to give me permission to edit OP or should we have several threads tracking the same thing?

Maybe next year we can have two threads for this, one for leaf players that get close (which will always be updated for some reason) and another for the other 30 teams for when Matthews drops off.

Last edited:
Reactions: hittes petr sykora

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille