50 in 50 Tracker

HammertownHockey

Apr 23, 2015
As has been said, it's impressive as hell but it's not what 50 in 50 is. It's always been the teams first 50 games and getting to rest for portions of the season is why it is what it is. If someone scored 25 goals in 25 games to end a season and 25 in 25 to start the next, would it be 50 in 50?

yes

HammertownHockey

Apr 23, 2015
50 goals in 50 games played is 50 goals in 50 games. I dont care if its the first 50 last 50 or he plays every other game. 50 in 50 is 50 in 50 to me. having it only be the start of the season is silly especially in todays era of scoring.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
50 goals in 50 games played is 50 goals in 50 games. I dont care if its the first 50 last 50 or he plays every other game. 50 in 50 is 50 in 50 to me. having it only be the start of the season is silly especially in todays era of scoring.

I think OV got really close to this. Something like 46 or 47 in 50 (or maybe bit less) spanning over two years. It was incredible accomplishment considering scoring 50 in 82 means you're the elite of the elite. Scoring 50 in 80 back in the 80's meant that you're great scorer but not the absolute pinnacle.

HammertownHockey

Apr 23, 2015
I think OV got really close to this. Something like 46 or 47 in 50 (or maybe bit less) spanning over two years. It was incredible accomplishment considering scoring 50 in 82 means you're the elite of the elite. Scoring 50 in 80 back in the 80's meant that you're great scorer but not the absolute pinnacle.

see this is where id draw a line if it was over 2 seasons. its still amazing what ovi did. but 50 in 50 for me would be any 50 goals in 50 games over a single season and I would love to see it happen

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
see this is where id draw a line if it was over 2 seasons. its still amazing what ovi did. but 50 in 50 for me would be any 50 goals in 50 games over a single season and I would love to see it happen

Would be awesome to see it happen for sure. I do agree that doing it over two year span makes the accomplishment less impressive. But I believe that's still the closest anyone has gotten to it these days.

It's practically impossible with the scoring levels. Matthews is closest and he's not even close. I'd love to see more scoring in the game. For me it's the funniest part (although I like hockey all-around).

Reactions: Hippasus

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
That's kinda dumb to look at it in that way, throw away the hater and look at it objectively, its 50 goals in 50 games that the player plays in, not the team.
It's 50 in the first 50. Matthews isn't the first player to be in this situation. 50 in 50 games would be an accomplishment, but it's not considered the same.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

Coach - Hey Pavel
Pavel -Yes coach
Coach - I know you average 1 goal per game but we are only going to play you every other game.
GM - coach your fired.

50 in 50 is and only is and will always only be 50 goals in the first 50 games of the season. What does " silly especially in today's era of scoring " even mean ? Mike Bossy , Wayne Gretzky , Brett Hull, Rocket Richard, super Mario . Those are the only recognized 50 in 50 . Mogilny did it in 46 games played but it was the teams like 55th or so . He is not a 50 in 50 .

LGI

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

thats great. but again not what the thread is about. if you want to make a thread about players scoring 50 goals in any set of 50 games every year, thats your prerogative. Unfortunately, or fortunately im not sure, this thread is about tracking whether or not any player can score 50 goals in the first 50 games of the season for their team.

---------
copy and paste as needed

Reactions: MatthewFlames

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Coach - Hey Pavel
Pavel -Yes coach
Coach - I know you average 1 goal per game but we are only going to play you every other game.
GM - coach your fired.

50 in 50 is and only is and will always only be 50 goals in the first 50 games of the season. What does " silly especially in today's era of scoring " even mean ? Mike Bossy , Wayne Gretzky , Brett Hull, Rocket Richard, super Mario . Those are the only recognized 50 in 50 . Mogilny did it in 46 games played but it was the teams like 55th or so . He is not a 50 in 50 .

LGI
When Cam Neely got 50 in 50 games played but missed some games in between, people still he treated it as a really big deal.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
When Cam Neely got 50 in 50 games played but missed some games in between, people still he treated it as a really big deal.

no one is claiming that it wouldnt be a big deal. its just not this deal.

Lets say there was a thread on the main board about "Glove Saves." Thats conceivable right? Who makes the best glove saves? What are some of the best glove saves of all time? Best glove save this year? Any number of those things could be talked about.
But then someone comes in and says, "well a save is a save!"
-_-
Now do we have to include all other saves? blocker saves? 2 pad stack saves? windmill saves? flying poke checks? God where does it end? That's kind of the point. Yes scoring 50 goals in 50 games in incredibly impressive, regardless of the set of games, even if it was spanning 2 years. Thats great. But its not this thread's "glove save."

HammertownHockey

Apr 23, 2015
Coach - Hey Pavel
Pavel -Yes coach
GM - coach your fired.

LGI

50 goals in 50 games over one season should be the same thing. whether a person missed the first 32 and then went 50 in 50 or started 50 in 50 and missed the last 32 is the exact same thing. I do not understand how one stat is more impressive than the other.

yeah as if i was actually suggesting only playing every other game... u are too funny

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

That's not the point. Scoring 50 in 50 (no matter how) is impressive. But it's also an official NHL record and to reach that official NHL record you need to score 50 in your teams first 50 games (this is because it's one of the oldest NHL records and it stems from the time when Maurice Richard scored 50 and there was only 50 games in the season). We can have all the talks/threads we want about 50 in personal 50 games (which would be f***ing insane if someone would do it) but it still doesn't constitute as the official record. This is not somekind of debate over preference. It's a statistical feat that's determined beforehand.

If anyone would do 50 in 50 in any kind of way I'd be thrilled to talk about it. But it still would not fit the criteria of this thread unless it's 50 in the teams first 50 games.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
That's kinda dumb to look at it in that way, throw away the hater and look at it objectively, its 50 goals in 50 games that the player plays in, not the team.

It's not a dumb way to look at it. This is a 50 goals in the first 50 games of the season thread. So, you're wrong.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
He's almost certainly going to fall short but with 28 goals in 31 games so far this season this is the latest into a season that 50-in-50 has been within striking distance that I can remember.

Would be one of the greatest feats in hockey history if Ovie can work a miracle and somehow achieve this at 33 years old.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
He's almost certainly going to fall short but with 28 goals in 31 games so far this season this is the latest into a season that 50-in-50 has been within striking distance that I can remember.

Would be one of the greatest feats in hockey history if Ovie can work a miracle and somehow achieve this at 33 years old.
if he does this at this age, he is automatically the GOAT goalscorer idgaf

Reactions: Portable Mink

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
49 in 52 from March 2013 to December 2013 I believe

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Two things:

1) Ovi probably won’t do it. But holy shit we’re 31 games in and it’s still on the table.

2) You people wining about 50 in 50 not counting for non-consecutive games to start the season are emabarrasing. Make a new thread for whatever feat you want to talk about. This is the 50 in 50 thread.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Funny how the rules change when a Leafs player is involved. Cam Neelys 50 in 44 is celebrated and hailed as one of the most productive 50 goal seasons, and he got his 50th in the Bruins’ 66th game.

Keep moving the goal posts, HFboards. All you’re proving is how insecure you all are

This was actually brought up first when Petterson got injured for a bit. That’s when people started to question 50 games for the player or team. Or just keep thinking everyone is against the leafs all the time, it’s proving how insecure you are.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It's a moron thing. It takes the same skill regardless of missing any games.

Does it? Are players not more beat up and tired playing every other day as opposed to getting a few weeks off due to injury?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad