50 Greats from 50 Nations

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
The article really emphasized Zizou's ability to come up big in big games. Meh, it could have been worst, they could have put Cantona in there for all we know.

So 4 names missing, time to think outside the box and think about countries that are not on the list so far. The biggest one I can think of is Bosnia.

Biggest names to come out of Bosnia? Dejan Savicevic, Pedrag Mijatovic, Sinisa Mihajlovic and judging by what I'm seeing at #44, I would guess that Dragan Stojkovic is the one we're seeing here? If you zoom in on the pic, the right badge on the jersey says Laguna Porec, which is in Croatia. I'm really grasping at straws here.

Savicevic is from Montenegro, Mija and Miha are from Serbia!

BTW, Laguna Porec (also known by his italian name: Parenzo) is in Croatia!

Last edited:

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Don't know why but #44 i keep thinking Katanec, who is from Slovenia. Obviously i am far from being sure.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Actually that's absolutely wrong.
Platini did more in the two weeks of 84 than Maradona in his two weeks of 86.
Also did more in 82 and 86 than Maradona in every other competition of his ****ing career.
And of course, 15 goals. FITEEN GOALS. Biggest total :biglaugh:

And those who think Maradona had a weak team around him in 86 are ignorant.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Actually that's absolutely wrong.
Platini did more in the two weeks of 84 than Maradona in his two weeks of 86.
Also did more in 82 and 86 than Maradona in every other competition of his ****ing career.
And of course, 15 goals. FITEEN GOALS. Biggest total :biglaugh:

And those who think Maradona had a weak team around him in 86 are ignorant.

Let it go man. No body thinks Platini is better than Maradona beside you. In fact I've never ever encountered someone who believe that.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I think 21 might be Hans Krankl (Austria).

krankl.jpg

Sold!

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Let it go man. No body thinks Platini is better than Maradona beside you. In fact I've never ever encountered someone who believe that.

Actually you're wrong. Plenty of people do.
On this board, Gary69 does. And contrary to you, him and I saw both play.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
#44 looks like Yugoslavia. Not sure though. If that's the case I would go with Stojkovic but I need someone to corroborate.

I'd go with that.

If they have Yugoslavia and the following states seperately, maybe they have the same for USSR, for example Russia and Ukraine. No. 40 looks like Blokhin, not sure about that shirt though.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I'd go with that.

If they have Yugoslavia and the following states seperately, maybe they have the same for USSR, for example Russia and Ukraine. No. 40 looks like Blokhin, not sure about that shirt though.

Yup, that is Blokhin, they had already posted his profile yesterday but I didn't want to spoil.

Will add both him and Stojkovic then.

So only one left, #32 with what looks like a kit out of the 1970's.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Great list. There isn't another sport in the world with that many greats from that many countries.

:handclap:

And back to normal programming in 3, 2, 1...

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Yup, that is Blokhin, they had already posted his profile yesterday but I didn't want to spoil.

Will add both him and Stojkovic then.

So only one left, #32 with what looks like a kit out of the 1970's.

To narrow it down, which countries are still missing, not many from Europe/South America at least?

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Great list. There isn't another sport in the world with that many greats from that many countries.

:handclap:

And back to normal programming in 3, 2, 1...

The site has some fabulous writing but the 50 from 50 is mostly fluff.

My two absolute favorites from the site are Ronaldinho and the eternal journey to joy and Juan Roman Riquelme: the dream comes first.

The entire series on Eric Cantona is fantastic as well.

To narrow it down, which countries are still missing, not many from Europe/South America at least?

That I can think of, Ecuador, some CONCACAF countries (Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica), Finland (Litmanen).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Damn I was thinking of some country like Peru. Didn't think of Venezuela, well done.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Damn I was thinking of some country like Peru. Didn't think of Venezuela, well done.

Cubillas is already there, and Ecuador kit didn't fit, so I went looking at Albanian players, who have a bit similar colours.

But Arango seems like a correct answer.

P.S. We've been this through before, but Platini was a better footballer than Maradona (and Rummenigge was Platini's equal) :)

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
List complete, well done guys!

Some have already started debating about some of the choices, I'm still trying to figure out why Steve McManaman was picked for England. I could have seen a case being made for Gazza but Macca? I can't wait to read the profile on this.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
List complete, well done guys!

Some have already started debating about some of the choices, I'm still trying to figure out why Steve McManaman was picked for England. I could have seen a case being made for Gazza but Macca? I can't wait to read the profile on this.

It must be a joke (inside joke?), as England have Ballon d'Or winners and WC winners.

Some countries being omitted and others included is also odd considering the omitted players like George Weah (Liberia) and Jari Litmanen (Finland).

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Some countries being omitted and others included is also odd considering the omitted players like George Weah (Liberia) and Jari Litmanen (Finland).

Definitely, I raised my eyebrows at seeing a guy from Irak in there ahead of Weah for instance. Ali Daei I can understand, his 109 goals for his country are a record, but Weah revolutionized his position in the game. Rabah Madjer could also have made the cut.

For those who would have seen both, how would Zico compare to Platini?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad