Post-Game Talk: #50: FLYERS 1 at Rangers 0, Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We'd get so many of them at our house in college. We'd put them in the microwave to make cd art. Great times, each disc different and unique, like a snow flake. (Even though snow flakes aren't unique.)

The Blockbuster (another blast from the pass) on the way from my grade school to my house used to give them out. We’d pretty much frisbee them at each other on the way to & back.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Surely you jest!
There wasn't a #ObviousHeelTurn nor :sarcasm:

What do you think?

I didn't mind going with Provorov on the first unit there. He looked good all night and at that stage of the game, having a defensive presence on the PP was fair, in my mind.
Should've been Sanheim. Putting a D on the PP wasn't bad, it was who was placed there. And adding AMac to the 2nd unit was akin to all those times Manning got PP time in years gone by, ridiculous.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There wasn't a #ObviousHeelTurn nor :sacrasm:

What do you think?

Should've been Sanheim. Putting a D on the PP wasn't bad, it was who was placed there. And adding AMac to the 2nd unit was akin to all those times Manning got PP time in years gone by, ridiculous.

Not defending the move too much, but would have been Ghost had he been in lineup, with Provy on PP2.

Reactions: Foggy14

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008

That was a crazy week for the Flyers. The day before in Pittsburgh, Kasparitus concussed Lindros on that infamous hit. Still vividly recall seeing Pittsburgh's Alexsey Morozov laughing on the bench as Lindros was being helped from the ice, while Pens fans were cheering as though they won the Stanley Cup. Also in that game, newly acquired Sean Burke made his Flyer debut and played poorly. Burke was pulled after injuring himself and the Flyers eventually lost the game. The next night, the Flyers trailed Pittsburgh for most of the game, IIRC. When Daigle scored that OT goal, news had already leaked that Clarke had fired Cashman and hired Neilson. Cashman found out he was gone in the post game press conference and I will never forget the look of shock, sadness and anger on his face all at once. Cashman wasn't completely fired, he was just demoted to being an assistant.

As for Daigle, he played the best hockey of his career that week, capped off by a hat trick in a rout of Detroit. Daigle was named NHL player of the week and soon went back to his lazy ways. Still cannot believe Clarke included Prospal in that trade for Daigle.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
The Blockbuster (another blast from the pass) on the way from my grade school to my house used to give them out. We’d pretty much frisbee them at each other on the way to & back.

But who remembers one of the first web browsers, Mosaic?

I remember my first embarrassing moments. I wanted some cheap soccer balls, so I typed in www.dicks.com, thinking that would be the link to Dick’s Sporting Goods......I guess you can imagine what came up to my surprise. Well before our Incompetent IT came in with blocking software.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
That was a crazy week for the Flyers. The day before in Pittsburgh, Kasparitus concussed Lindros on that infamous hit. Still vividly recall seeing Pittsburgh's Alexsey Morozov laughing on the bench as Lindros was being helped from the ice, while Pens fans were cheering as though they won the Stanley Cup. Also in that game, newly acquired Sean Burke made his Flyer debut and played poorly. Burke was pulled after injuring himself and the Flyers eventually lost the game. The next night, the Flyers trailed Pittsburgh for most of the game, IIRC. When Daigle scored that OT goal, news had already leaked that Clarke had fired Cashman and hired Neilson. Cashman found out he was gone in the post game press conference and I will never forget the look of shock, sadness and anger on his face all at once. Cashman wasn't completely fired, he was just demoted to being an assistant.

As for Daigle, he played the best hockey of his career that week, capped off by a hat trick in a rout of Detroit. Daigle was named NHL player of the week and soon went back to his lazy ways. Still cannot believe Clarke included Prospal in that trade for Daigle.

Occasionally, a question will arise about a coach being fired during a game and the reference to Cashman with an asterisk comes into play.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Cross Check:

1126027264_slide.jpg

Honest Check:

1126027250_slide.jpg

Eat that, Brady.

1126022105_slide.jpg

Nice job, Stolie!

Photos by Bruce Bennett.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Remember all of that stuff some people said about coaching not mattering? Gordon is an average at best coach but you can see the difference in the team with him versus a horrible coach. The roster is still flawed and needs some re-tooling but they were obviously a much better team than their record indicated, being dragged down by a total moron.

Yes, Hakstol was an idiot having both starting goalies get injured on him, Lyon get injured in August, Stolarz needing three months to return to action and Hart requiring a couple months to acclimate to professional hockey.

The same way Q got dumb last year when Crawford got injured.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart - Stolarz tandem. Yes, please.

Unpopular opinion here, but it's time for Giroux to go back to the wing. He's just not touching the puck enough lately. Also, Patrick is playing well. He needs to move up with better linemates and more opportunity.

I will, once again, plead Gordo to break up the 9-6 pair. Tonight was a perfect example of why Sanheim is being wasted on the right side. He was in so many awkward spots tonight that neutered his awesomeness. Sanheim has so much more to offer. Ivan, however, again showed some good flashes.

Misha was a non-factor tonight. But his two linemates were just bad. I honestly don't think Raffl has ever played worse. Varone has been near the bottom in xGF% almost every game in recent memory. The Varone experiment needs to end.

The Couturier line was very good.

We missed Ghost badly.

Raffl looks cooked, ship him out for whatever they can get.
Varone is smart, tries hard, but is the hockey equivalent of a AAAA player.

The Giroux line has been bad, especially defensively, just not a good fit, and I think it's hurting TK.

Giroux - Couts - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - TK
JVR - ??? - Simmonds, where's Mr Frost (or even Mr Rubtsov)., put Misha here?
Raffl - Laughton - call up NAK???

This won't be solved until next season, and things may get worse at the TDL if Fletcher moves people out.
But I want Lindblom back with Patrick, both have stepped up their games and are a good fit together.

Sanheim needs to play on the left side, but Morin returns in a month.
If Provorov has his mojo back, maybe he can carry Ghost at RHD (I just think he's better suited to LHD).
Then Gudas - Sanheim, and eventually Morin - Myers.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don’t know what to think about the playoffs. We are 10 pts back and still have 3 games against the pens. If Tampa wins tomorrow and we beat the bruins we are 10 pts back of WC1 and 8 back of WC2. On the other hand we are 5 pts back of bottom in the east. We also are coming off our 5th win in a row which is not a fair snapshot to take. I think we fall back down but if we keep winning it’s going to get interesting.

I’m 100% ok with Hart/Stolie tandem next year. There will be plenty of UFA goalies around if we need it after the season starts.

No trade action for three more weeks, so Fletcher can just see how it works out.
I'm not sold on Stolarz yet, one good AHL game, one great NHL game does not make a career, and the Rangers hit 2 posts.
But it's good to see him looking healthy and confident.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
We'd get so many of them at our house in college. We'd put them in the microwave to make cd art. Great times, each disc different and unique, like a snow flake. (Even though snow flakes aren't unique.)

Ruck you going to the stadium series game? Would love to link up again

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Thanks for these posts about the past to you, MSE and others. Getting a bit of knowledge about the past from you guys is my favorite thing about HFBoards

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey

All the talent in the world and zero desire to use it. I remember reading an interview not that long ago where he admitted he stuck with hockey just because he was good at it.

I miss that era of the NHL. The game is still a lot of fun to watch, and I'm more into hockey now than I was in a couple decades, despite the Flyers being shitty, but there was just something more compelling about it to me back then.

Probably just my age...

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
Remember all of that stuff some people said about coaching not mattering? Gordon is an average at best coach but you can see the difference in the team with him versus a horrible coach. The roster is still flawed and needs some re-tooling but they were obviously a much better team than their record indicated, being dragged down by a total moron.

Writing this after a performance like that is a bit odd. How were they "obviously better" than 2 months ago? The outcome is better because we have people standing between the pipes and preventing pucks from crossing the line (goalpost and crossbar were close friends this time as well).

After Gordon came in and not much changed people wrote: "That is because Gordon is as bad as Hkstol was". Now it´s: "See what a coaching change can do?". When 90% of our improved results is simply due to the upgrade in goal. Weird.

Reactions: BernieParent

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
I don't know if I'd call it a tank, they were just really bad. They were still really bad after they drafted him, too.

He was a 50 point forward on a bad team in his Ottawa years. So that itself wasn´t devastatingly bad. Compare it - let´s say - to NP. But if you were expected to be a 100 point man who turns a weak franchise into a Cup contender and everyone knew he had the talent for it, that made it bad. I do understand why the Flyers wanted to give it a try. It was a problem of motivation with him. So why wouldn´t a franchise think "We can turn this 23yr old around"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad