Post-Game Talk: #50: FLYERS 1 at Rangers 0, Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yup, he knew the Bruins would play him upwards of 35 minutes a night and he was smart enough to employ the strategy of dumping the puck in Orr's corner constantly, forcing him to go in deep for puck retrieval and then making sure to get a body on him. Orr later admitted that by game 6 he was just worn down and spent.

It's silly typing this, but...Fred knew what he was doing. He had a goalie playing at a level that wouldn't be seen again until Hasek's peak, Bobby Clarke, and a system designed to grind teams down with short shifts and speed. That's hard to face playing longer shifts for half the game and as solid a counter to Orr as could be had.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
It's silly typing this, but...Fred knew what he was doing. He had a goalie playing at a level that wouldn't be seen again until Hasek's peak, Bobby Clarke, and a system designed to grind teams down with short shifts and speed. That's hard to face playing longer shifts for half the game and as solid a counter to Orr as could be had.
Yup, the work ethic of that team was off the chart. Also the one-two punch of Clarke and MacLeish up the middle was as good as it got in that era. MacLeish sometimes dogged it in the regular season, but he was that eras Danny Briere in the playoffs. Of course, the linchpin was Parent who from 73-75 was on a level that no goalie, even Hasek, ever reached. What made Parent’s numbers even more amazing was that the team had to kill a ton of penalties almost every game. Their PK was stellar, but still Parent needed to make a lot of huge saves, and man, he made them.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yup, the work ethic of that team was off the chart. Also the one-two punch of Clarke and MacLeish up the middle was as good as it got in that era. MacLeish sometimes dogged it in the regular season, but he was that eras Danny Briere in the playoffs. Of course, the linchpin was Parent who from 73-75 was on a level that no goalie, even Hasek, ever reached. What made Parent’s numbers even more amazing was that the team had to kill a ton of penalties almost every game. Their PK was stellar, but still Parent needed to make a lot of huge saves, and man, he made them.

I believe it was Boston players who have stated that we would go up 1-0 and they'd think "Well, not sure what we're gonna do now." And Montreal players who remarked that Shero would roll two shifts to their one, so right when they'd think the swarming would stop a new swarm would it them.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Always annoys me when I see names like Sawchuk and Dryden ahead of Parent. Bernie was the best goalie of the 70s. Period.
Sawchuk gets ranked ahead of Parent, and rightly so, due to the length of his career. Parent was never the same after the neck injury, he was good, at times very good, but not great. Dryden, IMO, is overrated. The team and D in front of him was, by far, the best in the league. He rarely faced more than 20-25 shots per game of which perhaps 3-5 at most were tough saves. He had 3 hall of fame Dmen playing in front of him and he rarely had to deal with second shots or odd man rushes against. Don’t get me wrong, he was good, but there were at least 4-5 other goalies in that era just as good who just weren’t as lucky to play for the mid to late 70s Habs.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I believe it was Boston players who have stated that we would go up 1-0 and they'd think "Well, not sure what we're gonna do now." And Montreal players who remarked that Shero would roll two shifts to their one, so right when they'd think the swarming would stop a new swarm would it them.
Shero was brilliant. The fact that it took so long for him to be voted into the HoF is criminal

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Saw Mario Lemieux play with Laval Voisins. (Yes. I'm old) A giant playing against boys. i

I saw Paul Kariya play for Maine in 92-93 and 93-94
25/75 in 39 games in 92/93
8/16 in 12 games in 93/94
He was the best college hockey player I ever saw. That Maine team went 41-1-1. They just destroyed everyone that year and I hated his guts then haha

Reactions: kudymen

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This gets exaggerated, basically Sanheim is getting 5 more minutes on the 1st line, and Hagg and Ghost have had their roles reduced.
Weise and Lehtera were benched to start the year, they've been replaced by Varone and Vorobyev, so far I don't see any difference.

The biggest change was moving Giroux to center, which I think was done to give JVR a better center, but it means they don't have a true 1st line, the Couts line is the closest, the Giroux line can't play defense. That moves Laughton up to 3LW, but weakens the 4th line. When you lack depth, you can only shuffle pieces around.

The team is playing better b/c they've gone from the worst goalies in the league to the best over the last ten games or so.

Gordon's strong point is communication with young players, which is why he was the AHL coach in the first place.

The team is playing better because they're allowed to go to high scoring areas instead of living on the perimeter, and also because they don't go into a shell or play for OT. That's the most important difference. Improve player usage only enhances the worth of those changes.

But of course you're doing everything you can to pretend not much at all has changed.

Reactions: Striiker

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
"Basically he just got 33% more ice time than before." (16:06 to 21:27)

Under Gordon number of Sanheim's shifts per game also went up by 20%. From 21.4 per game to 26.1. Tiny things in utilizing in talent. Almost impossible to notice.

ololol
(data per hockey-reference.com)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Kevin Shattenkirk's quote regarding Anthony Stolarz's performance:

“He stole the game,” “There were five or six chances there that we could have put in and we’re probably looking at a different outcome. But hats off to him. He played a great game, for sure. You hate to be beat by the other team’s goalie, but he came in here and stood tall.”​

Source: New York Post, January 30, 2019

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad