Post-Game Talk: #50: FLYERS 1 at Rangers 0, Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
2 minutes in Amac skates to where the puck was as it was wrapping around the boards behind the net, then moseys on over to the circles, and at this point a forechecker is in his face. Turnover. Unbelievable.

According to Regis, it's becoming evident what the Flyers' identity is becoming, citing the team's "big, jumbo-like bodies". The dude is the definition of trash juice.

Both Jake and Patrick are finding themselves in the thick of multiple scoring chances a game.

The powerplay at this point is just comedy

They played a game where they got smoked but their goalie stole (HA) one. Doesn't happen so often nowadays with the dweebs usually standing in front of the net. Hopefully times are changing with Hart and a crop of seemingly capable backups. Not a lot of great things to say about many Flyers today by nature of the Rangers dominating play. Patrick was probably our best forward. I like that. You know what else I like? Beating the f***ing Rangers. In NYC. f*** the Rangers. Who the f*** is Boo Nieves? What the f*** kind of name is Boo? It's f***ing fantasy camp for this guy out here, give me a break. f*** the Rangers.

oKo4TkW.gif

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Was stolie that good?
He was good but moreso in comparison to the lousy efforts we are used to. Teams with good goaltending get that all the time.Stolie battled, made a few great stops = shutout vs a crappy Rangrr team.

Reactions: renberg

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
He was a 50 point forward on a bad team in his Ottawa years. So that itself wasn´t devastatingly bad. Compare it - let´s say - to NP. But if you were expected to be a 100 point man who turns a weak franchise into a Cup contender and everyone knew he had the talent for it, that made it bad. I do understand why the Flyers wanted to give it a try. It was a problem of motivation with him. So why wouldn´t a franchise think "We can turn this 23yr old around"?

I think the problem with the trade in general is that you're trading your already semi-successful reclamation project in Falloon. Not that Falloon was ever considered in Daigle's class -- as a No. 2 overall pick he wasn't even in the same class of prospect as Laine or Patrick imo -- but he was basically as productive as Daigle. And then throwing in a sweetener of your own prospect in Prospal, who was making steady progress.

I realize Daigle was supposed to be the next Lemieux/Gretzky/Lindros but 4-5 years in you have to really readjust expectations.

How many headcase underachievers ever make it in hockey?

Anyway the degradation of assets here is positively Chiarelliesque. The pick used to acquire Falloon turned out to be Danny Briere. Daigle was traded for Kovalenko, who played 13 games for the Flyers. So the Flyers basically turned a first-round pick that was used to take Briere and a guy who would be a solid top 6 player in Prospal into a year and a half of Daigle and a few weeks of Kovalenko. Yech.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
I don't know if I'd call it a tank, they were just really bad. They were still really bad after they drafted him, too.
No, they were just REALLY bad. Their pickings in the expansion draft were extremely slim. Imagine a team of Phil Varone's (both NHL and AHL level) and 34-35 year olds looking for one last hoorah. If they would've had the level of talent that Vegas had, they would've been a little more competitive.

Reactions: baudib1

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
And thinking about I distinctly remembering reading about Daigle for years, even before Lindros was a rookie. There were comparisons to Pat Lafontaine but really that was kinda considered a "floor" for him. LOL

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Eh, Daigle wasn't supposed to be better than Gretzky. He was hyped but he wasn't that hyped. People were hoping he'd be a Lemieux-level player, but even that wasn't something that was considered a total slam dunk.

Trading Falloon for Daigle was no big loss. Falloon wasn't really any good. The guy that hurt to trade was Prospal. He gave a boost to the team in 97 as a call up but struggled the year after and was traded, but ended up being the best NHL player of the three.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don't think anyone was ever supposed to be better than Gretzky (I'd argue Lemieux reached that level); Lemieux, Lindros and Crosby were, in ways, supposed to be heirs to his throne. The only guys I remember being compared to Gretzky stylistically were Nedved and Kariya.

The Daigle hype wasn't like Lindros hype, it was more like McDavid hype.

Falloon wasn't any good but he was sorta productive for the Flyers, and at least as good as Daigle at the time.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
2 minutes in Amac skates to where the puck was as it was wrapping around the boards behind the net, then moseys on over to the circles, and at this point a forechecker is in his face. Turnover. Unbelievable.

According to Regis, it's becoming evident what the Flyers' identity is becoming, citing the team's "big, jumbo-like bodies". The dude is the definition of trash juice.

Both Jake and Patrick are finding themselves in the thick of multiple scoring chances a game.

The powerplay at this point is just comedy

They played a game where they got smoked but their goalie stole (HA) one. Doesn't happen so often nowadays with the dweebs usually standing in front of the net. Hopefully times are changing with Hart and a crop of seemingly capable backups. Not a lot of great things to say about many Flyers today by nature of the Rangers dominating play. Patrick was probably our best forward. I like that. You know what else I like? Beating the ****ing Rangers. In NYC. **** the Rangers. Who the **** is Boo Nieves? What the **** kind of name is Boo? It's ****ing fantasy camp for this guy out here, give me a break. **** the Rangers.

oKo4TkW.gif
i miss, skate fat ass skate, skateboard guy.

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
Lemieux's last year in junior was insane. 282 pts in 70 games. I thought Lindros was more highly regarded than Daigle was.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
So this is what watching a 58-minute PK is like. Like many, I was enthralled with Stolarz's game last night. It was also a very good test of his health and leg flexibility. He fully deserved first star and probably third, too. That being said, the difference between his style and Hart's is glaring. Stolarz kicked out about 4-5 juicy rebounds into the slot and was fortunate that no Rangers were in a position to accept. I could give him the benefit of the doubt that he recognized that a teammate was the closest to where the puck would be going; I have done that in my oh-so-not-professional goalie career.

Gordon and his henchmen have to come up with a new plan to exit their zone. Every team in the league is aware of the winger on the half boards and it seemed like every single time that the pinching Ranger caused a turnover and extra attack time. Even when they have time, there is no active puck movement to anyone with speed. And don't get me started on the blind clearing attempts that become tape-to-opponent's-tape passes.

Overall, the Flyers looked gassed after the first period, but managed to circle the wagons effectively enough for Stolarz to steal a win. This was truly Dave Hakstol's dream win.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Lemieux's last year in junior was insane. 282 pts in 70 games. I thought Lindros was more highly regarded than Daigle was.

He definitely was. I don't quite remember what the hype around Lemieux was like even though I was watching hockey at the time. Lindros hype was greater than anything I've seen since. He was regularly compared to Lemieux, Messier, Howe and his nickname was "The Next One" as an allusion to Gretzky. Bobby Clarke, not employed by the Flyers at the time, once said he would score 300 points a season.

Ironically Lemieux had his share of detractors in his early years, because scoring 100 or 140 points as a 20-year-old wasn't good enough. He was considered soft, a cherry-picker, not a winner, etc. Lindros was supposed to be the guy who would combine Lemieux's offensive prowess with Messier's toughness.

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I don't think anyone was ever supposed to be better than Gretzky (I'd argue Lemieux reached that level); Lemieux, Lindros and Crosby were, in ways, supposed to be heirs to his throne. The only guys I remember being compared to Gretzky stylistically were Nedved and Kariya.

The Daigle hype wasn't like Lindros hype, it was more like McDavid hype.

Falloon wasn't any good but he was sorta productive for the Flyers, and at least as good as Daigle at the time.

I only saw 2 players ever, that could be compared to Gretzky: Mario Lemieux and Bobby Orr. No one else even comes close.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Writing this after a performance like that is a bit odd. How were they "obviously better" than 2 months ago? The outcome is better because we have people standing between the pipes and preventing pucks from crossing the line (goalpost and crossbar were close friends this time as well).

After Gordon came in and not much changed people wrote: "That is because Gordon is as bad as Hkstol was". Now it´s: "See what a coaching change can do?". When 90% of our improved results is simply due to the upgrade in goal. Weird.

What's changed under Gordon is that the bad players have moved down the lineup. Even in the AHL his systems had obvious flaws, but unlike Hakstol he doesn't overplay "safe & reliable" vets.

Hagg has gone from playing his offside on the top pairing (ridiculous), to playing his strong side on the 3rd pairing (sensible).

When Folin gets in the lineup he gets 12 minutes. Under Hak he was averaging 17+ when he played.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
What's changed under Gordon is that the bad players have moved down the lineup. Even in the AHL his systems had obvious flaws, but unlike Hakstol he doesn't overplay "safe & reliable" vets.

Hagg has gone from playing his offside on the top pairing (ridiculous), to playing his strong side on the 3rd pairing (sensible).

When Folin gets in the lineup he gets 12 minutes. Under Hak he was averaging 17+ when he played.

Hakstol literally did no part of the job adequately.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
So this is what watching a 58-minute PK is like. Like many, I was enthralled with Stolarz's game last night. It was also a very good test of his health and leg flexibility. He fully deserved first star and probably third, too. That being said, the difference between his style and Hart's is glaring. Stolarz kicked out about 4-5 juicy rebounds into the slot and was fortunate that no Rangers were in a position to accept. I could give him the benefit of the doubt that he recognized that a teammate was the closest to where the puck would be going; I have done that in my oh-so-not-professional goalie career.

Gordon and his henchmen have to come up with a new plan to exit their zone. Every team in the league is aware of the winger on the half boards and it seemed like every single time that the pinching Ranger caused a turnover and extra attack time. Even when they have time, there is no active puck movement to anyone with speed. And don't get me started on the blind clearing attempts that become tape-to-opponent's-tape passes.

Overall, the Flyers looked gassed after the first period, but managed to circle the wagons effectively enough for Stolarz to steal a win. This was truly Dave Hakstol's dream win.

That second paragraph in particular is so very true. We are like the Gang Who Couldn't Shoot Straight trying to break out of Alcatraz.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

Yup, I'm hoping to see the following next season:
Provorov-Ghost (or an upgrade to Ghost)
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin or Hagg-Myers
Morin or Hagg would be the 7th
Get rid of the stiffs!

Reactions: renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->