5 of top 14 teams are from the eastern conference.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Yeah the reason the Atlantic top teams have so many points are their extra games against the awful bottom half of Atlantic.

Metro has more parity.

Please give me a break. That is not the whole story

Flyers vs Atlantic: 29 points in 23 games
Leafs vs Atlantic: 31 points in 24 games

Leafs have played one more game against the entire Atlantic than your Flyers and have come away with just two more points overall. If you want to focus on the "bottom feeders" of the Atlantic only, we've also played just one more game against them as you have

Looks like the difference in the standings has more to do with how both teams play against the rest of the NHL (i.e. Leafs are better)

Atlantic also has 4 of the bottom 6. So...

Leafs have played 2 more games against the bottom half of the Atlantic than Columbus and have come away with just 2 more points. Your statement doesn't explain the difference in the standings

Last edited:

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
This narrative is getting old...

Leafs vs Atlantic- 24 games: 14-7-3 for 31 points (106 point pace)
Leafs vs Rest of the NHL- 51 games: 31-16-4 for 66 points (106 point pace)
Leafs vs the West- 29 games: 19-8-2 for 40 points (113 point pace)
Leafs vs the East- 46 games: 26-15-5 for 57 points (101 point pace)

Maybe you should just focus on your own team

Leafs vs Playoff Teams: 37 games: 17-15-5 for 39 points (86 point pace) 45 win %
Leafs vs NON Playoff Teams: 38 games: 28-9-1 for 57 points (123 point pace) 75 win %

Huge disparity in how TO plays against crap and good teams....

Compare that to say the Jets....

Jets vs Playoff Teams: 40 games: 20-11-9 for 49 points (100 point pace) 50 win %
Jets vs NON Playoff teams: 35 games: 26-8-1 for 53 points (124 point pace) 76 win %

Pretty huge disparity, against good teams Leafs cant win half their games and wouldn't pace to make playoffs. Take full advantage of their garbage team opportunities though!

Leafs have also played more of their games vs Non-playoff teams.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Leafs vs Playoff Teams: 37 games: 17-15-5 for 39 points (86 point pace) 45 win %
Leafs vs NON Playoff Teams: 38 games: 28-9-1 for 57 points (123 point pace) 75 win %

Huge disparity in how TO plays against crap and good teams....

Compare that to say the Jets....

Jets vs Playoff Teams: 40 games: 20-11-9 for 49 points (100 point pace) 50 win %
Jets vs NON Playoff teams: 35 games: 26-8-1 for 53 points (124 point pace) 76 win %

Pretty huge disparity, against good teams Leafs cant win half their games and wouldn't pace to make playoffs. Take full advantage of their garbage team opportunities though!

Leafs have also played more of their games vs Non-playoff teams.

My original post was in response to the claim that the top teams in the Atlantic were feasting on the bottom teams in the Atlantic (and was the "only" reason they were top teams in the standings), which is not true for the Leafs

Your post doesn't prove mine wrong, so not sure why you're quoting it

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
My original post was in response to the claim that the top teams in the Atlantic were feasting on the bottom teams in the Atlantic, which is not true for the Leafs

Your post doesn't prove mine wrong, so not sure why you're quoting it

Leafs are absolutely feasting on the bottom teams in the Atlantic. But also feasting on bottom teams every where else.

It's definitely an advantage to play 5 really terrible teams so many times in the year.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The west is a beast, has been for awhile now. Not to mention it's just a heavier, harder game. Making the playoffs is a bigger accomplishment in the west than the east imo.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Cool. Are you for a playoff format with any top 16 making the playoffs then?

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-The Metro has won 40% of the Stanley Cups since 1991. And Columbus didnt come into the league until 2001.

-So lets have a Metro vs the Entire Western Conference

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
The last team from the West to win besides the Kings or Blackhawks (both of which might miss) doesn't even play in the West anymore. But alright.
Wings in the West = dynasty
Wings in the East = lottery team

QED, the West has a better winning culture.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs are absolutely feasting on the bottom teams in the Atlantic. But also feasting on bottom teams every where else.

It's definitely an advantage to play 5 really terrible teams so many times in the year.
So are Boston and Tampa not feasting on the bottom teams everywhere else? It's like your trying to discredit the Leafs season with the way you are saying this.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
So are Boston and Tampa not feasting on the bottom teams everywhere else? It's like your trying to discredit the Leafs season with the way you are saying this.

In a separate post I stated I felt Boston, tb and Toronto’s points were inflated by 6-10 pts.

The post I was replying to was discussing the leafs specifically, so I responded about the leaf stats.

It makes no sense to respond to a claim about quality of competition, and then remove that specific in displaying stats in attempting to refute a narrative.

I would state that narrative is accurate.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014

Leafs vs. The elite 3 western teams: 4-1, +7 goal differential

We bring it when we need to

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009

Uh, that's what a good team should be doing. So yes, the Leafs are feasting on bad teams everywhere, as are the Jets. It's not something that is isolated to us playing Atlantic teams. There are bad teams in every division and every team faces them

It's funny because our scoring pace against non-Atlantic non-playoff teams is better than against those non-playoff teams in the Atlantic lol. Just emphasizes my point more

We're 8-3-1 against the top 5 teams. Compared to the Jet's 3-5-3 (including games vs 6th place Toronto). We both feast on "bottom feeders". Maybe the difference in our records is because the middle of the pack Western Conference teams are easier than those in the East :thumbu:

Last edited:

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

What’s a better representation, a 5 game sample or a 37 game sample.

And weren’t like half of those 5 games in October? You bring it in October, cool?

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Uh, that's what a good team should be doing. So yes, the Leafs are feasting on bad teams everywhere, as are the Jets. It's not something that is isolated to us playing Atlantic teams. There are bad teams in every division and every team faces them

It's funny because our scoring pace against non-Atlantic non-playoff teams is better than against those non-playoff teams in the Atlantic lol. Just emphasizes my point more

Yup, good teams should feast on the bottom teams. The concern is the disparity between the top and bottom teams and how the leafs play the two groups.

Additionally, you have more games against terrible teams than your western counterparts.

So....you want stats to end a conversation unless they don’t fit your narrative?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
What’s a better representation, a 5 game sample or a 37 game sample.

And weren’t like half of those 5 games in October? You bring it in October, cool?
What, now we're wiping out earlier months? Ok, that works great for the Leafs, seeing as we've been the 2nd best team in the 2nd half of the season.

And since you're harping about how concerned you are about our record against the better teams, vs. The top 10 we're like 13-9 (118 point pace), ya know the teams that we should expect to face in literally every round (BOS then TBL then PIT/WSH then a western favourite)

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What, now we're wiping out earlier months? Ok, that works great for the Leafs, seeing as we've been the 2nd best team in the 2nd half of the season.

And since you're harping about how concerned you are about our record against the better teams, vs. The top 10 we're like 13-9 (118 point pace), ya know the teams that we should expect to face in literally every round (BOS then TBL then PIT/WSH then a western favourite)
Just look at how the Leafs played last week vs Nashville who last time I checked has the best overall record in the NHL so far this season. It was one of the Leafs easiest wins this year against the leagues best team.

I know they didn't play their best game against Detroit however they still got the win and in the end that's what counts the most.

Although if I had to pick I rather see the Leafs with a performance like that against a team like Nashville since they are making the playoffs and those are the types of teams Toronto will be playing against in the first round. Had the Leafs played a horrible game others would have been worried about their team going into the playoffs.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
In a separate post I stated I felt Boston, tb and Toronto’s points were inflated by 6-10 pts.

That's a gross overestimate. Can you link me to the original post so that I can follow your logic?

Yup, good teams should feast on the bottom teams. The concern is the disparity between the top and bottom teams and how the leafs play the two groups.

Additionally, you have more games against terrible teams than your western counterparts.

So....you want stats to end a conversation unless they don’t fit your narrative?

What narrative??

There is a disparity between ALL teams in how they play playoff and non-playoff teams, including the Jets. Jets win more against the current playoff teams than the Leafs do. This is what reflects the difference in the standings. They both feast nearly identically on the bottom teams. The Leafs play playoff teams better than most of the teams below them, which is also reflected in the standings.

You make it sound like the 3 additional games against "bottom feeders" is why Toronto/Tampa/Boston are where they are. For the Leafs, it's a difference of like 1-2 points based on their record against playoff and nonplayoff teams. Swap Colorado and St Louis for the wild card with Kings and Dallas, and we aren't even having this argument a couple of weeks ago based on Toronto's winning record against those teams and the standings at that time. Jeez

We are not even debating the first argument anymore

Last edited:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I wonder why no one else brings up the Lightning record or the Bruins record against the Atlantic the way only the Leafs get brought up in that example.

It's a bad point regardless, but the poster who brought it up this time did mention Boston and Tampa along with Toronto.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I've never understood why any of this matters to anyone. Tell me, when your team is eliminated from contention, do you actively root for your conference? Your division? Why we treat East vs West like some kind of civil war is beyond me. To each their own I guess.

Reactions: Crazy Monkey

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
After last nights games, Tampa, Boston, Toronto, Washington, Pitts are in the top 14 teams.
Did you say top 14 because #15 + #16 are eastern conference teams?

Agendas aside, 7 of the top 16 teams are from the East so slightly less than 50%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad