5 of top 14 teams are from the eastern conference.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Fair point. Although the top 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 are all perfectly split between the East and the West, the West then has the next 4 teams. While those teams are good and could win the cup, it's more likely to come from the top 10 teams, who are the best of the best. If we're going to judge the conferences(and we really argue about this far more than we should) the best teams is probably a better thing to go on, rather than who has more teams going all the way down to 14.

Does make it shitty for the 9th place team in the West who would likely get in in the East though. Based on right now. That could change as it's not that far off.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The Atlantic alone has 3 of the top 5 teams in the NHL...you can twist the stats however you want. The conferences are pretty equal. More depth and reliability in the West, more volatility in the East.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The Atlantic alone has 3 of the top 5 teams in the NHL...you can twist the stats however you want. The conferences are pretty equal. More depth and reliability in the West, more volatility in the East.

2 of 5. But still point remains the same.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The bottom half of the Atlantic is more awfuller. 23 points seperate #1 from #8 in the Metro, 40 points seperates #1 from #5 in the Atlantic.
Going into the season if anyone said the Atlantic would have the top 3 teams in the Eastern Conference everyone would have said no way, the top 3 teams in the East would be from the Metropolitan.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Going into the season if anyone said the Atlantic would have the top 3 teams in the Eastern Conference everyone would have said no way, the top 3 teams in the East would be from the Metropolitan.
Same can be said about the Atlantic having the 4 worst teams in the East.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Well the Atlantic has 3 of the top 6 teams whereas the Metro is awful

XD You know how this all works right? The Atlantic has 4 of the bottom 6 teams in the NHL. The top 3 teams if the Atlantic have had the chance to beat up on them all year long. Tampa, Boston and Toronto's point totals are massively inflated because of that.

Reactions: td_ice

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
XD You know how this all works right? The Atlantic has 4 of the bottom 6 teams in the NHL. The top 3 teams if the Atlantic have had the chance to beat up on them all year long. Tampa, Boston and Toronto's point totals are massively inflated because of that.

This narrative is getting old...

Leafs vs Atlantic- 24 games: 14-7-3 for 31 points (106 point pace)
Leafs vs Rest of the NHL- 51 games: 31-16-4 for 66 points (106 point pace)
Leafs vs the West- 29 games: 19-8-2 for 40 points (113 point pace)
Leafs vs the East- 46 games: 26-15-5 for 57 points (101 point pace)

Maybe you should just focus on your own team

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Parity is wild isnt it. Hawks go from first to worst in the division. Just goes to show how one bad offseason can result in now

Reactions: Crazy Monkey

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This narrative is getting old...

Leafs vs Atlantic- 24 games: 14-7-3 for 31 points (106 point pace)
Leafs vs Rest of the NHL- 51 games: 31-16-4 for 66 points (106 point pace)
Leafs vs the West- 29 games: 19-8-2 for 40 points (113 point pace)
Leafs vs the East- 46 games: 26-15-5 for 57 points (101 point pace)

Maybe you should just focus on your own team
I wonder why no one else brings up the Lightning record or the Bruins record against the Atlantic the way only the Leafs get brought up in that example.

Reactions: Yamazaki

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
I wonder why no one else brings up the Lightning record or the Bruins record against the Atlantic the way only the Leafs get brought up in that example.

People just like to spew things when the facts don't back up their statements (not directed at you, talking about the post above)

Haven't calculated it myself, but pretty sure Tampa's record against Atlantic teams is worse than it is against the rest of the NHL, which adds to the hilarity that the top teams in the Atlantic are feasting on the bottom feeders. Lightening, Bruins, and Leafs are simply really good teams and can't wait to watch some awesome hockey in the playoffs

EDIT: just calculated for Tampa- 111 point pace vs Atlantic vs 115 point pace vs all teams. And they still need to face the Bruins twice

Last edited:
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Didn't a lot of people say teams like Buffalo and Detroit would be some of the worst? Ottawa was a complete surprise and honestly I'm not surprised to see Montreal near the bottom.
I certaintly didn't expect anything out of Montreal, but it didn't stop the "healthy Price makes them a contender" crowd from expecting better.

I personally think the biggest difference between the Atlantic and Metro is the goaltending. Outside of Bobrovsky, the best 3 goaltenders have been Vasilevskiy, Rask and Andersen. Holtby has been terrible, Murray has been bad when not hurt, then you have Philly, NYI and Carolina. Every East team not in the playoffs besides Florida and NYR have had terrible goaltending.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I certaintly didn't expect anything out of Montreal, but it didn't stop the "healthy Price makes them a contender" crowd from expecting better.

I personally think the biggest difference between the Atlantic and Metro is the goaltending. Outside of Bobrovsky, the best 3 goaltenders have been Vasilevskiy, Rask and Andersen. Holtby has been terrible, Murray has been bad when not hurt, then you have Philly, NYI and Carolina. Every East team not in the playoffs besides Florida and NYR have had terrible goaltending.
Even though last season Montreal finished 1st in the Atlantic a major reason for that was them starting like 9-0-0 or something like that. However for the remainder of the season they didn't look like a playoff team and I think that carried over with them into this season.

Reactions: Crazy Monkey

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Even though last season Montreal finished 1st in the Atlantic a major reason for that was them starting like 9-0-0 or something like that. However for the remainder of the season they didn't look like a playoff team and I think that carried over with them into this season.

Yep I agree with you. Their first quarter-to-half of the season carried them

upload_2018-3-25_13-59-3.png

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Montreal finished last season 15-5-1. They were one of the best teams in the league from late-February until the end of regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad