5 of top 14 teams are from the eastern conference.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
XD You know how this all works right? The Atlantic has 4 of the bottom 6 teams in the NHL. The top 3 teams if the Atlantic have had the chance to beat up on them all year long. Tampa, Boston and Toronto's point totals are massively inflated because of that.

Or you know, you could be informed and research before saying this. Before Toronto or anyone in the Atlantic for that matter played a stretch of games against Buffalo/Detroit in their division, they were still 3 of the top 5/6 teams in the NHL.

Reactions: Crazy Monkey

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
This narrative is getting old...

Leafs vs Atlantic- 24 games: 14-7-3 for 31 points (106 point pace)
Leafs vs Rest of the NHL- 51 games: 31-16-4 for 66 points (106 point pace)
Leafs vs the West- 29 games: 19-8-2 for 40 points (113 point pace)
Leafs vs the East- 46 games: 26-15-5 for 57 points (101 point pace)

Maybe you should just focus on your own team

Going to ensure this is on every page to help dispel stupid myths

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
XD You know how this all works right? The Atlantic has 4 of the bottom 6 teams in the NHL. The top 3 teams if the Atlantic have had the chance to beat up on them all year long. Tampa, Boston and Toronto's point totals are massively inflated because of that.
What if the bottom feeders of the Atlantic only have bad records because they keep getting beaten up by the top teams?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It seems like we go back and forth between conference superiority every year.

Last year, Nashville won the West, but their 94 points in the regular season wouldn't even have got them into the playoffs in the East.

Right now, it appears to be all but set in stone that one of St.Louis, Colorado, Los Angeles will miss the playoffs in the west with enough points to have made it if they were in the East.

10th place Dallas, who is almost certainly not going to make the playoffs, would only be 2 points behind a playoff spot in the East with equal games played to the team they are chasing.

None of this really matters though. The true battle for conference superiority will always be the Stanley Cup Finals and only when that is over will we know which conference reigns supreme. 3 of the 4 best Cup Contenders appear to be in the East.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Who exactly...Chicago is done and LA is a bubble team nowadays. I see inexperienced teams or teams that can't get it done mostly.

Chicago is done and yet i have more faith in them returning to the playoffs next year than handful of teams in the East making it.

Pretty much what i meant in a nutshell.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Would be interested to see the goal differential between conferences. I'd do it, but can't access nhl.com on my ancient phone. A glance at the st

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think Tampa has a worse record against the Atlantic than any other division (and has owned the Central this year, for instance). For some reason we can't beat Buffalo, Ottawa, or Boston.

Reactions: Crazy Monkey

wandk128

Oct 14, 2008
Until all games are equal, it's tough to take these standings as true indicators of strength

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009

Just to make sure everything is super clear, should also add that in 24 games against the Atlantic (same number as Toronto), Washington is 16-6-2 which is a 116 point pace compared to their current 103 point pace. The irony in your statement is hilarious

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's not all surprising, the Metro was the strongest division in hockey last year and a lot of teams have taken a step back. The Metro on this day in 2017 had 4 of the 5 top teams in hockey, with Washington, Pittsburgh, Columbus and the NYR all in the top-5.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The bottom half of the Atlantic is more awfuller. 23 points seperate #1 from #8 in the Metro, 40 points seperates #1 from #5 in the Atlantic.

Yeah the reason the Atlantic top teams have so many points are their extra games against the awful bottom half of Atlantic.

Metro has more parity.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah the reason the Atlantic top teams have so many points are their extra games against the awful bottom half of Atlantic.

Metro has more parity.
You do realize that Toronto, Boston and Tampa also have loses against the bottom teams in the Atlantic, so it's not like they all went a combined undefeated against them.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
agree
Tb/bos/tml wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs if in another division.
And
The capitals would have won atleast 2 cups if division alignment didn't have them playing Pittsburgh every year.

It's a shame.

Reactions: b in vancouver

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
This narrative is getting old...

Leafs vs Atlantic- 24 games: 14-7-3 for 31 points (106 point pace)
Leafs vs Rest of the NHL- 51 games: 31-16-4 for 66 points (106 point pace)
Leafs vs the West- 29 games: 19-8-2 for 40 points (113 point pace)
Leafs vs the East- 46 games: 26-15-5 for 57 points (101 point pace)

Maybe you should just focus on your own team

And not to mention the Bruins are playing the Panthers 4 times and the Lightning 3 times in like their last 20 games. The way the new schedule is set up is so unpredictable that you can’t make the case Atlantic teams are just beating up on each other. Although I can’t speak for other teams schedules cause I haven’t looked

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And not to mention the Bruins are playing the Panthers 4 times and the Lightning 3 times in like their last 20 games. The way the new schedule is set up is so unpredictable that you can’t make the case Atlantic teams are just beating up on each other. Although I can’t speak for other teams schedules cause I haven’t looked
With Toronto's schedule they did not play Buffalo at all this season until March 5th. Tomorrow night they are playing them for the 3rd time this month, this time in Toronto and again one more time on April 2nd.

Even though they played the Canadiens in October and November in Montreal, they did not play them in Toronto until March 17th and won't play them again until their last regular season game on April 7th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad