Prospect Info: #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - Center - Back to the OHL

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
This one of those picks where you look back on in a few years and say "what the actual f*** were we thinking?"

or say "why the f*** did I ever question this?"

tough to be happy about this right now, but it's just so hard to project. One thing is for certain, we deserved Svechniov or Dahlin this year, and we didn't get our chance. I hate the draft lottery. Hope we never have to deal with this shit again.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I believe we had him over Tkachuk, honestly. Just not the mould.

Craig and Chayka are obviously going to paint him high. Kind of mind blowing we'd have him over Zadina AND Wahlstrom. I could see maybe they didn't like something about Zadina, just hard to believe they had him above all these other names and wouldn't move down a little.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Agree with XX, that I don't want my GM doing the scouting. Little surprised we didn't try to move up from 55 after the Bernhard interview.

Reactions: CC96

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Craig and Chayka are obviously going to paint him high. Kind of mind blowing we'd have him over Zadina AND Wahlstrom. I could see maybe they didn't like something about Zadina, just hard to believe they had him above all these other names and wouldn't move down a little.

The way they are talking about him implies he was the third guy on their list. As in the 3rd best player in the draft. That's crazy.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I was somewhat excited there for a minute when the Sens took Tkachuk. After they picked Hayton, I was like WTF? I was angry for a bit, but once they talked to Zadina, I can sort of see why they didn't pick him (especially with his rather coccy quote about scoring if MTL passed him up). Then the whole suit thing, and I kind of see why they chose not to go with him. In the past season or so, obviously attitude has moved up in terms of determining who to pick.

Of course, apart from Zadina, I would have passed on Boqvist (health concerns) and Hughes (5'9 D-man?), but Bouchard, Wahlstrom, and Dobson seem like better picks. I still trust the scouting (I initially didn't think Keller would do as well as he has) over the rankings, but definitely a bit of a head-scratcher. I think they just project him to be better in the long run (once he develops a bit more) rather than someone who may do well next season but then decline a bit once teams begin to adjust (a la Domi and Duclair)

Reactions: AZviaNJ and Jmmack

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He's a solid player. High hockey IQ, possibly the best playmaker in the draft who is also one of the best defensive players as well. There were about 10 names that were interchangeable after Svechnikov. Yeah I maybe would have liked to trade down a spot or two to grab another pick but I get the sense after hearing a few of the interviews that this was a guy a few teams were hoping to fall to them and the picks and trade proposals were few and far between. I'm okay grabbing "our" guy.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I wish we had taken Zadina, but this kid is impressive. Good shift by shift video here. He impacts the game in a lot of ways despite limited ice time.

Where did you see the ppg increase @_Del_ ? I'd be very interested in seeing some stats when he wasn't buried behind Frost, including TOI.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The way they are talking about him implies he was the third guy on their list. As in the 3rd best player in the draft. That's crazy.

I agree. But I also feel like if they did have him that high, then the right way is to draft him (not at 5, but take him). The draft is too random to rely on a CSB consensus list. Take your guy. I'll only feel good about this if I hear someone else had him top ten and were going to take him (Sharks had Wheeler high, I believe and had a 10-15 range pick).

Definitely not how I thought this draft or our board would look like.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree. But I also feel like if they did have him that high, then the right way is to draft him (not at 5, but take him). The draft is too random to rely on a CSB consensus list. Take your guy. I'll only feel good about this if I hear someone else had him top ten and were going to take him (Sharks had Wheeler high, I believe and had a 10-15 range pick).

Definitely not how I thought this draft or our board would look like.
McCagg had him at 8 on his list (recrutes). Scored him 1 for hockey IQ, playmaking. 3rd best defensive player.

Reactions: _Del_

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I was somewhat excited there for a minute when the Sens took Tkachuk. After they picked Hayton, I was like WTF? I was angry for a bit, but once they talked to Zadina, I can sort of see why they didn't pick him (especially with his rather coccy quote about scoring if MTL passed him up). Then the whole suit thing, and I kind of see why they chose not to go with him. In the past season or so, obviously attitude has moved up in terms of determining who to pick.

A playful but motivated retort in response to being potentially passed over by Montreal (which was in the news for weeks now) should not be synonymous with "attitude concerns."

DoanStopBelievin

Oct 6, 2017
Still disappointed as a knee-jerk reaction, but with the Keller and Chychrun picks and after taking POJ and seeing his growth towards being probably a higher than an early 20's pick, I'm moving to the trust train.. For reasons we may never know, our organization must see Hayton as a franchise cornerpiece especially as they seem they were hellbent on taking him. Hopefully they are correct.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Kind of get the impression they did try to move down from the end of the Chayka video above.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
A playful but motivated retort in response to being potentially passed over by Montreal (which was in the news for weeks now) should not be synonymous with "attitude concerns."

Well, I only know what they showed on the draft. Those 2-3 things and his overall body language seemed like flashing lights to me. Who knows how he acted in an interview? From what I read/saw, he just seemed a bit overconfident, but what the hell do I know? I'm just adding some commentary here. I probably would have preferred him as the pick (definitely over Hayton), but I'm guessing the scouts and organization know more about picking prospects than I do.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Initial reaction aside, I'm not at all sold on Hayton's ability to be a 1C but I'll give about even odds he'll develop into a good 2C at this stage. Hard to swallow using a top five pick on a 2C when there's two potential first line wingers and 3-4 defenders with top pairing upside staring at you in the face, but Chayka obviously decided to make his bed with this decision really early on.

Needless to say, going to bat for Hayton will probably become the most consequential decision of his career as GM.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
After I got over the initial shock and disappointment I'm fine with the pick. More Centers is never a bad thing. Gotta hit on a C Prospect eventually right?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
After I got over the initial shock and disappointment I'm fine with the pick. More Centers is never a bad thing. Gotta hit on a C Prospect eventually right?

We haven't had homegrown 30+ goal talent at forward in as long as we haven't had homegrown top six centers. Beggars really shouldn't be choosers.

I get the thinking of drafting premium positions and then later flipping them if need be to fill other needs, but that strategy is not without risk either.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
When asked for specific things he does that make him a premium, Chayka had nothing to give. He was asked 3 times? And he had nothing that jumped out as to why this player should go that high. Am I the only one that isn't comfortable with that? If you are taking a guy at 5 and saying he can be a foundation for the franchise, you better have something on the guy that you are just ecstatic about. Chayka had nothing other than he's a good 200-foot player. Okay.

Reactions: Solarion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad