Prospect Info: #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - Center - Back to the OHL

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Might be a good thing we traded our pick last year. We won't know if this guy is any good for 3 or 4 years. Our biggest weakness is scoring. Somehow the 2nd best scorer in the draft who some had going 2nd not too long ago falls to us. We pass on him. Hard to understand reaching for a pick when the value of +3 or 4 falls in your lap. I guess we'll see if Keller was just lucky or they really are good with what this guys turns out to be.

Reactions: 0point1

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Had him at 12.
:laugh::laugh:Reading these posts is better than watching SNL. If I'm not mistaking most were saying "in Chayka we trust". Now the same posters are s------ on him and asking for heads to roll, or my favorite, "got caught holding their dicks in their hands". Unbelievable, the draft is a crap shoot, period. I would be willing to bet most of you guys have never seen this kid play or even watch video of him. We all read what is written about a certain player and take it as gospel. I was shocked when I heard his name, but I don't watch or have a clue about any of these kids, I just read what you guys post. I think I will take another approach next year.;)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I’m going to be following Detroit more closely this year to see if the Coyotes scouts found a flaw in Zadina’s game that other teams will exploit . I’m really scratching my head over this pick. I was hoping that the Coyotes wouldn’t go off the res with their picks.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Q. Were you surprised how high you went?
BARRETT HAYTON: It was something I got a great feel from Arizona through the interview process, so I knew there was a chance. When I heard my name called, it was unbelievable.
Q. What was it in the process?
BARRETT HAYTON: Just really our discussions. We talked a lot about their organization and the steps that they have in place, and I feel they have an amazing future ahead.
Q. Did you have a sense . . .
BARRETT HAYTON: It’s kind of hard to say. There’s definitely interest, I felt, but you never really know.
Q. First Canadian taken. Did you think about that at all?
BARRETT HAYTON: I haven’t really thought of it much yet, but that’s a tremendous honor for sure.
Q. So what makes you feel comfortable about this pick?
BARRETT HAYTON: Really, everything about it. The direction in which their organization is going. I can’t lie, it was the organization I wanted to go to the most. So it’s just amazing.
Q. Is that because you want to live there?
BARRETT HAYTON: No, just really all aspects of it.
Q. Can you elaborate on that a little bit? What was it that intrigued you?
BARRETT HAYTON: Just from the feel I got from the Combine and the interviews, and definitely watching their team. I’m a big hockey fan myself, so just keeping up with the core group they have. It’s just a special group.
Q. Have you kept up on the trade they made this week?
BARRETT HAYTON: Yeah, for sure.
Q. Looking at your numbers, seems like you would be a play-making center. Is that fair to say?
BARRETT HAYTON: Yeah, I feel I’m a play-maker and a shooter. I try to weigh my options. I feel that’s where my hockey IQ comes into play.
Q. During that World Junior stint, seems like you started racking up points. Did you get more ice time during that time? How did the season go for you start to finish?
BARRETT HAYTON: Yeah, that opportunity I had when those key guys were away at World Juniors was great. That’s the position I want to be, the go-to guy. That’s where I strive to be. The experience I had when they were away and the chemistry I had with Morgan [Frost] was special.
Q. What do you know about the roster?
BARRETT HAYTON: I don’t know any of them personally, but obviously from watching a ton of hockey myself, I know a fair amount about the way they play.
Q. Any style in particular?
BARRETT HAYTON: Really all aspects.
Q. Who is sharing this experience with you?
BARRETT HAYTON: My entire family here in Dallas. My mom and my dad and my sister are here. So it’s a special event for me, for sure, and I’m just very excited to be able to celebrate with them with all they have done for me over the years.
Q. Can you describe the last few days, how it’s been? Were you nervous? Excited this morning?
BARRETT HAYTON: Yeah, it’s – coming into Dallas, I actually came in yesterday morning and just kind of seeing the city a bit and I’m just trying to keep preoccupied. Today it’s a whirlwind of emotions, but hearing my name called, it’s unbelievable.
Q. Where do you think you might have gone? Did you think you were going to be a top-five pick?
BARRETT HAYTON: Yeah, that was definitely my goal. You never really know with drafts, and I’m just – I’m just – I can’t put it to words how happy I am.
Q. Did you feel like the fact that you played center and that you have a pretty complete game at center was valued by the team that you went to?
BARRETT HAYTON: Yeah, I feel my ability to play a complete game; my versatility in all the different situations was – well, it’s a big part of the player I am, and I think teams value that.
Q. Centers, with Montreal taking a Finnish center and you going higher than we thought, seems like a tremendous value on guys . . .
BARRETT HAYTON: Yeah, that’s obviously a big thing in today’s game. You look at the centers throughout the League. It’s a key position.
Q. A few words about Sault Ste. Marie . . .
BARRETT HAYTON: I can’t thank the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds organization enough. They are unbelievable, the development path and the group they have there and the players I’ve had the opportunity to play with. Just thinking of names, Colton White, he was a tremendous mentor for me in my first year, Bobby MacIntyre, Zach Senyshyn, Boris Katchouk, Morgan Frost, really all of these guys, they have helped me in my development path an amazing amount. I just can’t thank them enough.
Q. The Arizona Coyotes, an NHL hotbed the last few years in the draft . . .
BARRETT HAYTON: Yeah, it’s something you can’t really put into words. Really the only thing I can say is it’s a dream come true.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
JC is getting a ton of toxic hate right now on the internet. I have no doubt JC is going to try and sweep this under the rug.

Reactions: Yandover

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I finally got John to answer the phone. He told me Marc was zeroed in on Kotkaniemi for weeks and was concerned he would be panned over reaching for a C with his pick after trading Galchenyuk away. Our selection of Hayton was a future consideration in the Domi trade conditional on his ability to trade down.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Q. During that World Junior stint, seems like you started racking up points. Did you get more ice time during that time? How did the season go for you start to finish?
BARRETT HAYTON: Yeah, that opportunity I had when those key guys were away at World Juniors was great. That’s the position I want to be, the go-to guy. That’s where I strive to be. The experience I had when they were away and the chemistry I had with Morgan [Frost] was special.

That's really interesting. I'm guessing that the scouting during that period is what sold him.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
:laugh::laugh:Reading these posts is better than watching SNL. If I'm not mistaking most were saying "in Chayka we trust". Now the same posters are s------ on him and asking for heads to roll, or my favorite, "got caught holding their dicks in their hands". Unbelievable, the draft is a crap shoot, period. I would be willing to bet most of you guys have never seen this kid play or even watch video of him. We all read what is written about a certain player and take it as gospel. I was shocked when I heard his name, but I don't watch or have a clue about any of these kids, I just read what you guys post. I think I will take another approach next year.;)

Since I'm certain I have never given Chayka such high praise as saying "trust in Chayka" I unabashedly can say if this player doesn't project well after one year, I hope JC is gone.

You cannot f*** up a top five pick. This may be our second seeing as Strome is still meh. Even if he's decent his success should forever be compared to Zadina.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I finally got John to answer the phone. He told me Marc was zeroed in on Kotkaniemi for weeks and was concerned he would be panned over reaching for a C with his pick after trading Galchenyuk away. Our selection of Hayton was a future consideration in the Domi trade conditional on his ability to trade down.
What? I’m in a stupid period of my life and just don’t get it.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
We needed to take a chance on a potential home run pick, not bat for an infield single.

We need star caliber impact players, not more solid two-way players.

We’ve had countless solid, two-way players over the last 20 years yet very few dynamic stars, and where has that ever taken the franchise?

Reactions: Yandover and RemoAZ

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
It's a process. If Hayton becomes the long awaited #1 center that the Coyotes have need since JR left the first time, then it is a good pick. I can't help but feel a bit of Blake Wheeler on this pick, which was also panned at the time. I'm pretty sure people were calling Wheeler a bust the moment he was drafted.

Reactions: Name Nameless

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's a process. If Hayton becomes the long awaited #1 center that the Coyotes have need since JR left the first time, then it is a good pick. I can't help but feel a bit of Blake Wheeler on this pick, which was also panned at the time. I'm pretty sure people were calling Wheeler a bust the moment he was drafted.

No, Wheeler was a massive project and was recognized as such. Hayton isn't a project. We'll know in a year if he's on track.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm happy. We got the 2nd best C in the draft. Didn't want a LW or D at all. It's too hard to find these guys outside the top 15. I haven't watched much of Hayton but he tore it up for the short bit when he had top line responsibility. This sets us up really well.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
No, Wheeler was a massive project and was recognized as such. Hayton isn't a project. We'll know in a year if he's on track.

Also, Wheeler kind of made it clear that Arizona was not his destination of choice, where as this kid says it is where he wanted to go. (Granted Domi had the same sort of thought, but that is neither here nor there)

I do think that is a little bit of an interesting win, as being drafted by the team you wanted to be drafted by probably means that you give a little extra attention to some of the little things, compared to being drafted by an organization that you didn't get a good feel from.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm happy. We got the 2nd best C in the draft. Didn't want a LW or D at all. It's too hard to find these guys outside the top 15. I haven't watched much of Hayton but he tore it up for the short bit when he had top line responsibility. This sets us up really well.

As I said, I had him 12th on my list but I love OHL prospects and the Soo is a top organization.

Reactions: kbay

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'm fine with the pick, I had him in the 10-15 range so it's not some giant leap to take him at 5. It helps that I liked him a lot as a prospect. I can also appreciate JC not being concerned about the optics and taking his guy. If you're going to build a certain way, go for it 100%, dont fiddle around because you're worried about fans or media. JC seems to have that mentality and I hope it works out.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We took one of the youngest draftees who was buried on a deep team and jumped to something like 1.6 ppg when the older guys went to Worlds.
He isn't a bad prospect. I'm perversely encouraged abit that they were so confident they took him at five. He will be compared to Zadina and co for the rest of his career, and they have that hanging like an albatross. I don't think they are blind to that, and they still took him.

I still think moving back to 7-10 is the right move. Someone would be thrilled with Zadina, I'm sure. It turned out pretty wide open, so it's not unreasonable to take him there. But at five with Zadina on the board, if stings.

Still a very intriguing prospect, imo. And a C, which they obviously (over-?)valued.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This ties in to the talk in the chat about, "why take a guy with mediocre 2C upside instead of making a pick for elite talent". We took him at five over consensus talent picks. The scouting department thinks he IS a homerun pick with elite upside. They didn't take him to be "safe" at five. Safest thing in the world is to take Zadina, or even Wahlstrom, Hughes, or Bouchard there.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
After the initial disappointment of passing on the guy I had rated #1 of realistic options has worn off. I feel I have unfairly bashed Hayton. Hayton is a fine prospect, and worthy of a top ten pick. It’s just hard seeing us struggle to score goals for years, and have the second best goalscorer in the draft fall to you, but you pass on him to select a player that projects similar to a young player you already have on your roster in Christian Dvorak.

Here’s to hoping Hayton puts up a similar year to he one Morgan Frost has just put up.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'm fine with the pick, I had him in the 10-15 range so it's not some giant leap to take him at 5. It helps that I liked him a lot as a prospect. I can also appreciate JC not being concerned about the optics and taking his guy. If you're going to build a certain way, go for it 100%, dont fiddle around because you're worried about fans or media. JC seems to have that mentality and I hope it works out.

Taking someone ranked in the 10-15 range at 5, especially considering a player like Zadina was still there, is definitely a pretty giant leap.

As for JC's mentality. I see it a bit different. I see someone buying into their own hype and starting to think they know better than everyone else, which is not something I'm very fond of when it can negatively impact the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00