Prospect Info: #5 OA - Barrett Hayton - Center - Back to the OHL

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It could easily be argued that drafting Barrett Hayton fifth overall was a huge mistake. Just as easily argued that putting him in the NHL right away is an epic blunder of historic proportions. Rushing a kid way before he's ready doesn't make up for reaching for a kid way before he was worthy. Two wrongs don't make a right.

ORRRRRRRR...

...it could just go like @YotesFan47 supposed it might. Maybe he has a nice, solid, under the radar 30ish point season where he's solid all-around, ala Christian Dvorak's rookie year. Then maybe like YF47 says, he eventually blows up and is like a Couturier, Monahan, or even a Bergeron type.

Either scenario is possible.

Maybe he's Josh Bailey. Maybe he takes years and years in the NHL before he really starts to pay off, after being rushed to the league too early.

Maybe he's Manny Malhotra. Similar draft years, draft production, draft position, similar scouting reports, and Manny was really, really rushed WAAAAY too early and ended up having a 1,000 game NHL career in which he wore a letter on several teams and was a pretty valuable player despite never putting up more than 35pts in a season and being a 4th liner for the vast majority of his time in the league.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Something in Chayka’s most recent quote about Hayton made you suspect Zadina could’ve addicted to Fortnite? Also, doesn’t that link say OHL? Zadina was in the Q? I think I’m misunderstanding you?

Yes, all that is exactly what I said. Thank you for the recap.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How do you impress when you haven't played or practiced because you've been in concussion protocol? We have injuries and we are keeping all our C's close. That's it. Spinning it as if he's earned a spot is complete bullshit at this point.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
They are basically hoping he shows something in his games that allows them to trade Strome, even if Hayton ultimately ends up back in SSM.

The irony with that is probably the better Hayton plays, the more is that trade looked as as a need to clear the future 1C roster spot, ie Hayton can increase the asking price for Strome.

I know it don't make sense. Except it makes it look less obvious Strome is traded as a bust, so it makes sense.

Reactions: johnchayka89

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
Although I don't think he has earned a spot on the roster. I wouldn't mind giving him 9 games. It's not going to hurt his development and obviously are injury plagued up the middle.

The only negative aspect is that if Hayton stinks up the joint, a good portion of Yotes fan base will already be calling for JC's head.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Personally, I don't think the decision to keep him up is a hockey decision. Officially, he got injured (in the form of a concussion) with the NHL club, and has been being treated for it by the NHL club's medical staff. Once he is deemed fit to play, I wouldn't be surprised to see him immediately reassigned to Sault Ste. Marie. A related note to why he's being kept on the NHL roster is that it's generally not a good idea to switch doctors in the middle of treatment for an injury or condition.

Reactions: RR

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Personally, I don't think the decision to keep him up is a hockey decision. Officially, he got injured (in the form of a concussion) with the NHL club, and has been being treated for it by the NHL club's medical staff. Once he is deemed fit to play, I wouldn't be surprised to see him immediately reassigned to Sault Ste. Marie. A related note to why he's being kept on the NHL roster is that it's generally not a good idea to switch doctors in the middle of treatment for an injury or condition.
It better be a hockey decision. I think we are so depleted at C, Hayton makes sense to keep on the roster. They can decide for sure at the 9 game mark. If Hayton is BPA at C, play him until DVO returns, then decide by the 9 game mark.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Pretty sure I just saw that he has been taken out of the concussion protocol, so he would be all good to send back now

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Pretty sure I just saw that he has been taken out of the concussion protocol, so he would be all good to send back now

Everybody talks about those pre-season games being not very informative. Let him know how the NHL will be. I hope people accept it if he, as a very young man, looks out of place. But first of all, I hope we can see what Chayka has seen. :)

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I'm even more confused. I'm not arguing with you, I just don't understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just honestly asking what you meant.

I can't find the IG post and thought the linked article would support my post and/or jog someones memory about it, so they could add to the discussion.
I didn't say it was a Fortnite, addiction, I said gaming.
I don't think the players in the OHL are the only gamers or are exclusive Fortnite players.
In the Matisz tweet, Chayka is quoted; confirming their choice of Hayton, his play and speaking about a "deep" and extensive background of him. I suspect he is not only addressing Hayton, but is also defending their passing on Zadina. I could be wrong about the the hidden context, but that's not the point.
All said, if Zadina's issue wasn't attitude, it was something else and that something else could have been gaming. Nothing more.
I don't recall the article/topic or any related being discussed here, so if anything I thought it had value on the board.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
I love liver. All types. Fried chicken livers in hush puppy batter. High end pate and crustini. Braunschweiger and pastrami on rye. Love liver of all varieties.

If I never ate another muffin as long as I lived, I wouldn’t even notice.
Sorry, I don't do 'filter organs"...

rt

May 13, 2004
I can't find the IG post and thought the linked article would support my post and/or jog someones memory about it, so they could add to the discussion.
I don't think the players in the OHL are the only gamers or are exclusive Fortnite players.
In the Matisz tweet, Chayka is quoted; confirming their choice of Hayton, his play and speaking about a "deep" and extensive background of him. I suspect he is not only addressing Hayton, but is also defending their passing on Zadina. I could be wrong about the the hidden context, but that's not the point.
All said, if Zadina's issue wasn't attitude, it was something else and that something else could have been gaming. Nothing more.
I don't recall the article/topic or any related being discussed here, so if anything I thought it had value on the board.
Again, I honestly wasn’t attempting to challenge you. I was really just asking for clarification. :)

Thank you! :)

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I love liver. All types. Fried chicken livers in hush puppy batter. High end pate and crustini. Braunschweiger and pastrami on rye. Love liver of all varieties.

If I never ate another muffin as long as I lived, I wouldn’t even notice.

Braunschweiger on toasted rye with sliced tomato, chopped pickles, chopped onion, and yellow mustard is delicious. I prefer it open-faced but you can make a sandwich of it.

Reactions: johnchayka89

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017

Personally, I don't care why Chayka didn't pick Zadina.

Water over the bridge. Under the bridge. Over the dam?

As long as Hayton will make us happy.;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It better be a hockey decision. I think we are so depleted at C, Hayton makes sense to keep on the roster. They can decide for sure at the 9 game mark. If Hayton is BPA at C, play him until DVO returns, then decide by the 9 game mark.
How can it be a hockey decision? Hayton played two preseason games, so I would think around 25 TOI. IF Chayka and RT can determine after watching a junior kid for 25 TOI time that he should be on the roster we got a couple of geniuses on our hands. I thought you said you have to earn your minutes.:)

rt

May 13, 2004
Braunschweiger on toasted rye with sliced tomato, chopped pickles, chopped onion, and yellow mustard is delicious. I prefer it open-faced but you can make a sandwich of it.
I buy a cracked wheat sourdough bread from Fry’s and toast it in my coyotes hockey puck toaster that burns the coyote head logo into the toast. I spread the Braunschweiger on it while the toast is still hot. Sprinkle a little black pepper on it and call that breakfast baby.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I buy a cracked wheat sourdough bread from Fry’s and toast it in my coyotes hockey puck toaster that burns the coyote head logo into the toast. I spread the Braunschweiger on it while the toast is still hot. Sprinkle a little black pepper on it and call that breakfast baby.
Give me bacon, eggs and hash browns. All this talk of liver sausage is giving me the runs.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Aw, man. All this talk made me go look up the name of the deli I stumbled across in Tucson, leading the the first Braunschweiger sandwich I'd had in decades (my paternal grandmother was full on German)...it was Shlomo and Vito's, and last year it closed :(

Have you been to Haus Murphy's in Glendale?

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad