GDT: #5 | New York Islanders @ Nashville Predators | October 12 | 8PM

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I agree he could have easily made those saves especially the last goal, but what about the great saves he made that should have been goals? I disagree that his amazing saves only happen when he's out of position, that's just not true.

[NHL]2013020071-33-h[/NHL]

That save is okay, it's really not as great as they make it seem. He basically just slid over and the guy shot it into his pad. He also didn't realize that pass was coming, which is a problem.

Not as if it's a huge thing, but I grew up playing goalie until I was an adult. It's not something I'm unfamiliar with. I've never played at the NHL level, nor am I saying that it makes me an expert, but it does mean I do have some insight into playing the position.

With that said, I do think Nabby is great in the locker room for the team and an important piece right now. However, if this team would like to go deep in the playoffs or build upon what they did last season, they will most definitely need an upgrade in net because it's unlikely they'll get enough at the blue line.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Nabokov made some great saves in this game, but also let in some goals that he should have had. This is nothing new, didn't you guys watch last season? Very bad game, hopefully they get it together against Buffalo and get on a roll.

Seriously, I wonder what people watched last year. At least Nabokov doesn't seem to have lost anything so far.

Basically these were the problems with the game:

1. NYI still looks rusty.
2. Moulson sucks unless JT has the puck.
3. Our D is undersized
4. Nabokov softies.
and, for emphasis

5. Moulson sucks.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Gotta admit, at the moment, I just don't see this team with a left wing that one could call 'optimal fit' for JT. I'd prefer Bailey next to JT on the RW and Okposo next to Nielsen on the left, but neither Moulson nor Grabner are the best options for JT, even if Moulson has a traditional bond with Tavares. They just do not generate enough scoring chances with each and much of that has to do with Moulson being fairly incapable of winning little, physical battles while also not being quick enough to be a playmaker of note, even if he has good instincts.

Heck, at some point, it might be worth getting Nelson out there with him.

Nabokov has been good this year, several times really good, but these three goals were all very, very stoppable and he got beat ice cold on the stick side three times despite having full view of and at least 7-8 yards of distance from the shooter. Not only that, a simple step towards the shooter would have cut the angle so much so that the puck would either hit him or go wide. You just shouldn't be beat like that 3 times in one game. Hope that's not his true weak spot... Teams will catch on if it is.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Seriously, I wonder what people watched last year. At least Nabokov doesn't seem to have lost anything so far.

Basically these were the problems with the game:

1. NYI still looks rusty.
2. Moulson sucks unless JT has the puck.
3. Our D is undersized
4. Nabokov softies.
and, for emphasis

5. Moulson sucks.

Yeah, I'd say the forwards don't help out on the defensive zone enough either. Moulson is so useless out there it's crazy.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
That save is okay, it's really not as great as they make it seem. He basically just slid over and the guy shot it into his pad. He also didn't realize that pass was coming, which is a problem.

Not as if it's a huge thing, but I grew up playing goalie until I was an adult. It's not something I'm unfamiliar with. I've never played at the NHL level, nor am I saying that it makes me an expert, but it does mean I do have some insight into playing the position.

With that said, I do think Nabby is great in the locker room for the team and an important piece right now. However, if this team would like to go deep in the playoffs or build upon what they did last season, they will most definitely need an upgrade in net because it's unlikely they'll get enough at the blue line.

Agreed, I don't see the Islanders winning the cup with Nabokov especially with the team they have today.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I am starting to think Miller signs with us as a UFA this summer. Just too good a fit. Not too many other teams are looking to lock up a starter as well.

There's us, Edmonton, Calgary (he won't sign there), Philly( lol)..... And that's it?

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I am starting to think Miller signs with us as a UFA this summer. Just too good a fit. Not too many other teams are looking to lock up a starter as well.

There's us, Edmonton, Calgary (he won't sign there), Philly( lol)..... And that's it?

I agree and I think we have the advantage if he wants to stay on the east coast. It would be a great fit, people talk about his attitude being bad, but I think its bs.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
what great saves? not once did he make a save that made me say "damn, that was a nice save". and he gave up two goals that a one legged blind man could have saved.

A very close-in one-timer from about 8-feet in against Nashville in the 1st period that was pretty much a reaction save. That one made me stop and acknowledge.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

i think you can add Florida to the list of maybe's. Thomas is a big question mark, and Markstrom just can't seem to get it together.

also add UFA's Hiller, Halak, Lundquist, Emery, Elliott, and i see different possibilities. i doubt Lundquist, but you never know.

my choice would be Hiller or Halak.

Last edited:

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
New lines at practice:

Grabner-Tavares-Okposo
Nelson/Bouchard-Nielsen-Bailey
Moulson-Regin-Clutterbuck
Martin/Boulton-Cizikas-McDonald

and Radek Martinek on the ice.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
New lines at practice:

Grabner-Tavares-Okposo

Capuano finally opened his eyes and sees that Moulson is useless on the top line?

Nelson-Tavares-Bailey
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo

Would have been interesting to see this. Moulson needs to be traded imo, he would be terrible as a bottom 6 player too.

Hyphistos

Jul 16, 2012
Vienna
New lines at practice:

Grabner-Tavares-Okposo

Moulson at the third line? Wow, that would be a huge setback for him. Has he ever played on a line below the second?

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Capuano finally opened his eyes and sees that Moulson is useless on the top line?

Nelson-Tavares-Bailey
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo

Would have been interesting to see this. Moulson needs to be traded imo, he would be terrible as a bottom 6 player too.

I would love that top 6. But the third line is gross as it stands now. A floater who won't even get many opportunities to do the one thing he can do, a player who has never been an NHL regular before this year, and a player less physical than he used to be who is recovering from an injury while playing.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

Nelson-Tavares-Bailey
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo

Honestly, Nelson would be worse. I wouldn't be upset if they sent him back to Bridgeport. His game needs a lot of work still.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I would love that top 6. But the third line is gross as it stands now. A floater who won't even get many opportunities to do the one thing he can do, a player who has never been an NHL regular before this year, and a player less physical than he used to be who is recovering from an injury while playing.

I know, Moulson HAS to be in the top 6 because there's no point of playing him in the bottom 6.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Honestly, Nelson would be worse. I wouldn't be upset if they sent him back to Bridgeport. His game needs a lot of work still.

I guess I'm watching a different game then you, he's playing with Regin-PMB/Clutterbuck. The first 3 games he was the only one who looked good, last game he didn't play that well.

His game needs a lot of work still? Like what? How could Nelson be worse when he's better than Moulson at basically everything besides finishing I guess you can say. Moulson can't carry the puck up the ice, doesn't win battles along the boards, is a defensive liability, can't cycle the puck.

Last edited:

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
New lines at practice:

Grabner-Tavares-Okposo

Grabner certainly deserves to be on the top line. I'd switch Bailey and Okposo.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
New lines at practice:

Grabner-Tavares-Okposo

Wow, look at Moulson demoted to the 3rd line. Cappy mixing things up. He's not coddling anyone anymore.

I don't know what the deal with Martinek is though, that's puzzling.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don't get it...

If you want to try Moulson somewhere else, fine.

But why this team doesn't just finally stick Bailey with Tavares for ten games and leave a Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo line together for that period of time as well is beyond me. For what it's worth, I feel Grabner has shown us some of his absolute best hockey to date this season, but he just isn't a guy whose style mixes well with JT. That just isn't logical having those two together. And yet he seems soooo good with Nielsen. Like, why go that route?

I think it's good to play around with the LW next to Tavares, because there needs to be an answer there (at best a burly one), but why f$%& around with the what should be a friggin given after last year's playoffs in the JT-Bailey and Nielsen-Okposo combos???

Well, the coaching staff is on the inside, so maybe they're taking certain player wishes or something into consideration...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad