GDT: #5 | New York Islanders @ Nashville Predators | October 12 | 8PM

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Its so easy to blame the goaltender and forget the fact that the team had 16 shots on goal and couldn't string more than two passes together.

Oh you could have 100% went and said they should have scored on that 4 minute PP. But the fact is you DO NOT let that goal up from the blue line. Nabby also let up a terrible goal that deflated the team going into the intermission. He HAS to make that save.

There is no way you can tell me if Nabby played the way Poulin had played we wouldn't have won last night.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Oh you could have 100% went and said they should have scored on that 4 minute PP. But the fact is you DO NOT let that goal up from the blue line. Nabby also let up a terrible goal that deflated the team going into the intermission. He HAS to make that save.

There is no way you can tell me if Nabby played the way Poulin had played we wouldn't have won last night.

I knew going into the season, goaltending would be an issue at some time. Although I'll admit Nabby has been playing fairly well so far (save for last night with those 3 should have had goals), and I thought Poulin played well against a high powered Chicago offense. This just makes the fact that guys like Bernier and Khudobin slip away all the more painful, moreso Khudobin because he was a UFA and all they had to do was show him the $$$. Now he's killing it on a Carolina team that is not as good as the isles.
But, doesn't change the fact that this team had their heads firmly entrenched in their ***** this weekend. Guess they were flying a little too high after that beat down they gave the Coyotes. If the play like they did this weekend, they will lose to a very bad Sabres team Tuesday night
Also, has anyone been disappointed with the effort from the 4th line. They look completely different from the final 15 games of last season and they playoffs. They are supposed to be our energy guys...I just don't think they've really been getting it done. Actually the whole team is really disappointing with their physical play, and speed to. In the playoffs they were buzzing around all over. This season it looks like they're skating in quicksand

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

To be fair, I don't think anyone, including Nabby, expected a shot like that from the blue line. That was a rocket that caught him by surprise. I'm honestly going to cut him slack for that goal. Because it just seemed like it came from left field.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
that loss falls directly on nabakov. two long range bombs beat him like he never played hockey before.

ive said it for two years and ill say it again,..........trade his useless ass for whatever you can get. be it a cheese burger or a muffin....i dont care, just get him off long island.

While I agree to some extent, there were also defensive collapses too.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=72500873&postcount=256

Amac gave him way to much room on that 3rd goal as I stated in the post above. Amac needs to be aggressive there and play him hard, instead he gave him too much space and he let a rocket go past Nabby.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
To be fair, I don't think anyone, including Nabby, expected a shot like that from the blue line. That was a rocket that caught him by surprise. I'm honestly going to cut him slack for that goal. Because it just seemed like it came from left field.

One of the first things I was taught when I was learning how to play goalie was as soon as they come across the blue line pay attention. He is not a rookie, he is a future HOF.... He should have been aware and saved that shot.

Everyone had bad games, he needs to come up big this upcoming week.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Its so easy to blame the goaltender and forget the fact that the team had 16 shots on goal and couldn't string more than two passes together.

This, this, this.

It could also be that we are in roster-myopia. It has been remarked on in here numerous times that the lines are versatile - Tavares can play with Okposo can play with Nielsen can play with Bailey can play with..., etc. It may take a season to sort the best lines vs. the system. That alone is a strong argument for getting John a real wing, the same way Pittsburgh got Crosby a Kunitz. You cement the top line and dicker with 2nd and 3rd. Between PMB no-showing and Moulson seemingly getting worse in all areas over the summer the only line with a rhythm is the 4th. IMO, they really dropped the ball thinking PMB could be an answer for John, or that one of our kids would instantly become a 1st line wing.

I didn't think Bouchard would be this ineffective, to be honest. I though the dangle skills and puck distribution would have been a nice fit. I didn't count the number of shots they took on the 4-minute power play, but they need to stop lollygagging and shoot the puck more. I'm even kind of surprised they managed 4 goals over those last two games, since the offense has been so non-existent other than against Phoenix.

The need to transition the defense into offense (even the defense isn't horrible; if it were, they'd be getting blown out by more than a one goal margin, they just spend too much time defending.) If they could manage to take three strides without giving up the puck so easily, they could get more shots on goal.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home

Just as a lifelong hockey player/observer/lover.....Nashville hit every shift, passed VERY well, had tight defensive coverage, gambles safely on offense, covered our guys tightly, cleared their crease, had solid goaltending and a solid but smart attack.

Our guys didn't pass well and weren't hitting consistently or often enough, didn't get off shots and seemed off their game.

You don't blame Nabby. You blame all the guys in white. Even JT who looked flat at times. Our gameplan was nothing for Nashville. They deserved this win and I'm shocked the score wasn't worse. Same goes for Chicago. Both scores were better than they should have been and in neither game can you pinpoint one player for fault.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Just as a lifelong hockey player/observer/lover.....Nashville hit every shift, passed VERY well, had tight defensive coverage, gambles safely on offense, covered our guys tightly, cleared their crease, had solid goaltending and a solid but smart attack.

Our guys didn't pass well and weren't hitting consistently or often enough, didn't get off shots and seemed off their game.

You don't blame Nabby. You blame all the guys in white. Even JT who looked flat at times. Our gameplan was nothing for Nashville. They deserved this win and I'm shocked the score wasn't worse. Same goes for Chicago. Both scores were better than they should have been and in neither game can you pinpoint one player for fault.

Nashville 100% outplayed the Isles in this game. I am not trying to hide the fact that we were also given a gift with the double minor late in the game. But you just can't tell me that Nabby shouldn't have had all of those 3 goals.

This team will only continue to get better when Clutterbuck regains form and Donovan continues to get through normal rookie struggles. It will be interesting to see how the boys play on the upcoming homestand.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Nashville 100% outplayed the Isles in this game. I am not trying to hide the fact that we were also given a gift with the double minor late in the game. But you just can't tell me that Nabby shouldn't have had all of those 3 goals.

This team will only continue to get better when Clutterbuck regains form and Donovan continues to get through normal rookie struggles. It will be interesting to see how the boys play on the upcoming homestand.

I can tell you most goalies will have a tough time with that rocket on goal three. I was in awe.

And I can tell you we did not earn that win and Nashville in no way should have lost. Effort, effort, effort. Nabby saved our arses more than enough to not get nailed to the cross for whatever goal you wish to cite.

And, once again, I wish we drafted fourth. He's gonna be something!

Clutterbuck is still in pain, but playing and getting in shape. When he's there, we have hitting and solid three zone play. Donovan....looks like Jeff Norton, just not a very experiences Norton. He'll get better, I can tell. Less hesitancy and more body and I have faith in the kid. But the team, from Tavares to Boulton, ALL have to skate and pass and position better or we're sitting ducks.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
It did come from left field! :sarcasm:

Surfrat

Feb 16, 2013
NJ

Thank you sir, a voice of reason. Cant blame the goaltender for this one.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I can tell you most goalies will have a tough time with that rocket on goal three. I was in awe.
I have to disagree. If you look where Nabokov is in the net he should have been out a little further. He should have been a little further out to take up the net. As the guy who rode a great technical game to be starter for the Sharks for so many years I believe he'd say as much. The problem for this club is that the general team defense issues pretty much require a good goaltender to make up the difference, and every wart on an average to below average goaltender is going to get exposed.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I have to disagree. If you look where Nabokov is in the net he should have been out a little further. He should have been a little further out to take up the net. As the guy who rode a great technical game to be starter for the Sharks for so many years I believe he'd say as much. The problem for this club is that the general team defense issues pretty much require a good goaltender to make up the difference, and every wart on an average to below average goaltender is going to get exposed.
The way Nashville played, they had three guys ready to rush in the net, past our "crease clearers" so....ca you blame him for not venturing out far? Yes, technically cutting down the angle on a laser is good, but a hard shot like that WHICH HE'S KNOWN FOR....he made the right play. I was more unsettled on the second goal....not getting over in time.

I don't think our D is THIS bad....but for some reason, the better efforts have our guys scrambling and not executing. Nash and Chi both gave us the business end and we still hung in.....but CLEARLY did not look like we were able to give an all out effort for forty minutes, nevermind sixty.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The way Nashville played, they had three guys ready to rush in the net, past our "crease clearers" so....ca you blame him for not venturing out far? Yes, technically cutting down the angle on a laser is good, but a hard shot like that WHICH HE'S KNOWN FOR....he made the right play. I was more unsettled on the second goal....not getting over in time.

I don't think our D is THIS bad....but for some reason, the better efforts have our guys scrambling and not executing. Nash and Chi both gave us the business end and we still hung in.....but CLEARLY did not look like we were able to give an all out effort for forty minutes, nevermind sixty.

In part because the forwards aren't doing their jobs in the defensive zone as well as when they finished the year. There is a fine line between collapsing back as a system in the defensive zone and getting trapped deep in your own end so your opponent's points have all day to line up shots/keep you trapped/wear you out.

It feels like the club forgot how to play together over the summer. Maybe it is a personnel thing, too many players who take the first few months to get their game and legs back - it seems like we have more than the average amount of those guys, and in critical roles.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
In part because the forwards aren't doing their jobs in the defensive zone as well as when they finished the year. There is a fine line between collapsing back as a system in the defensive zone and getting trapped deep in your own end so your opponent's points have all day to line up shots/keep you trapped/wear you out.

It feels like the club forgot how to play together over the summer. Maybe it is a personnel thing, too many players who take the first few months to get their game and legs back - it seems like we have more than the average amount of those guys, and in critical roles.
I think they looked like they weren't expecting such a showing and did not/could not find a game to counter in both matches.

Like they could not adapt to a tight checking, well executed passing game.

Like they lacked the talent to counter.

Don't tell them they have that talent, but have to HIT and CHECK to get the opposing players off their game to turn the tide in their favor and take the play.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

I agree 100%. Nashville was simply the better team. Period. they showed up to play-we didn't. Is it any surprise that we lost?

edit: And we can't blame Nabby when Nashville outshoots us by about 100%.

And yes the D really is this bad-it was obvious preseason, and it still is.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree 100%. Nashville was simply the better team. Period. they showed up to play-we didn't. Is it any surprise that we lost?

edit: And we can't blame Nabby when Nashville outshoots us by about 100%.

And yes the D really is this bad-it was obvious preseason, and it still is.

I'd respectfully disagree - they spent enough time locked in their own zone against the Hawks to lose by a lot more than just one goal, and the Preds weren't different. They can turtle okay - and once they get their legs back, even that will improve - but they can't counter at all as it stands. If they could hold the puck successfully for more than half a second, they may be able to sustain an attack and start shooting more.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Nabby got beat on a fantastic shot. Sure, he could have made the save but it was a well placed shot. Let's play devils advocate here. He makes that save, and Tavares doesn't score that garbage goal. We lose. The blame should be distributed equally. No shots on a Power play and not scoring on a 4 minute power play is inexcusable

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
I think the players were much more to blame than Nabby was last night. We looked like we were trying to finesse our way around Nashville, who said "NOPE" and constantly shutdown any attempts at offense. We lost that game last night because we didn't play a chippy game, we played a "lets try to be fancy going through the neutral zone and then make a pretty pass in their zone for a goal" kind of game. Because of the offensive talent on the team, I feel sometimes the guys get carried away and try to be too fancy rather than simplifying the game and playing a physical style like they did in the playoffs. I hope that Nashville game taught them a lesson, they have to do the dirty work if they want that offense. If a team is shutting you down in the neutral zone? Dump, chase, hit, get shots on net and crash exc.

We played right into Nashvilles hands IMO

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
does it seem like the team is collapsing deeper into their own end, than they did last year? i don't know. maybe the opponents are adjusting to our style?

but, playing a collapsing style, our guys better be able to block shots (we are mediocre, IMO), take care of business in front of our own net (below average, IMO), and effectively break out (mediocre, IMO).

our PP is killing us too, IMO. awful, awful, awful... Nelson and Donovan should be out there. Regin and CMcD on pk.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
An addition to this game's GDT! A word cloud from the whole thread showing what we were talking about.

fk3a.png

There are some obvious ones in there. Found it interesting how much 'enough' came up. A lot of this was negative talk about Moulson's play (his name came up a lot too). 'Enough' also came up in terms of 'not physical enough'.

Line/lines stood out a bit, as we continue to see a lot of complaint about lines, and then obviously a bit of talk about it after they were changed.

Jones came up the most out of any Nashville player (unless I'm not seeing someone else).

Outside of Tavares/JT, Nabby, and Moulson... Nelson came up the most. Take that for what it is worth, but I for one know I want to see the kid get more ice time.

Enjoy!

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Nabokov made some great saves in this game, but also let in some goals that he should have had. This is nothing new, didn't you guys watch last season? Very bad game, hopefully they get it together against Buffalo and get on a roll.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I'm glad you're not the coach.

Above average goaltending?

Save percentage isn't everything, especially when you're letting in softies that cost you the game. All three of those goals should've been saves.

Nabby is an average/below average goalie, who can occasionally get hot. He lets in a lot of really bad goals and his 'unbelievable' and 'amazing' saves often happen because he takes himself out of position. He's a floppy fish.

I wouldn't say the team deserved to win this game with the effort everyone put in, but lets not cover up Nabby being awful by his save percentage. There are just some shots you just have to have.

I agree he could have easily made those saves especially the last goal, but what about the great saves he made that should have been goals? I disagree that his amazing saves only happen when he's out of position, that's just not true.

Last edited:

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
In part because the forwards aren't doing their jobs in the defensive zone as well as when they finished the year. There is a fine line between collapsing back as a system in the defensive zone and getting trapped deep in your own end so your opponent's points have all day to line up shots/keep you trapped/wear you out

100000x this. it's happened in both games, possibly before then. we give the other team's points SO much time.

but i agree with OTH this isn't on nabby it's on the players, possibly coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad