GDT: #5 | New York Islanders @ Nashville Predators | October 12 | 8PM

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
But why this team doesn't just finally stick Bailey with Tavares for ten games and leave a Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo line together for that period of time as well is beyond me. For what it's worth, I feel Grabner has shown us some of his absolute best hockey to date this season, but he just isn't a guy whose style mixes well with JT. That just isn't logical having those two together. And yet he seems soooo good with Nielsen. Like, why go that route?

I agree re Nielsen and Okposo, because Okposo's and Nielsen's strengths & weaknesses are complimentary.

I also agree re Bailey. He helps keep the puck in the zone, and JT needs that.

In the past, I'd agree with you re Grabner. However, the way he's playing out there makes me think that maybe he can play with JT.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
New lines at practice:

Grabner-Tavares-Okposo
Nelson/Bouchard-Nielsen-Bailey
Moulson-Regin-Clutterbuck
Martin/Boulton-Cizikas-McDonald

and Radek Martinek on the ice.

GTO line!

pontiac-00025-1.jpg

Hyphistos

Jul 16, 2012
Vienna
I agree re Nielsen and Okposo, because Okposo's and Nielsen's strengths & weaknesses are complimentary.

I also agree re Bailey. He helps keep the puck in the zone, and JT needs that.

In the past, I'd agree with you re Grabner. However, the way he's playing out there makes me think that maybe he can play with JT.

I too think that this whole "Grabner doesn't fit to JT" statement deserves a chance to be reevaluated. It was true in the past (although Grabner got a lot less chances to prove otherwise compared to other wings with equal or less production) but the way he plays now, I'm not sure anymore. He passes more, is more involved in the game... even if they don't click 100 percent, it's still more than Moulson does to help JT. I think they could work if they get enough time to get used to each other, but I'm not sure if Okposo is the right wing on the other side. Personally, I would prefer Bailey.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I too think that this whole "Grabner doesn't fit to JT" statement deserves a chance to be reevaluated. It was true in the past (although Grabner got a lot less chances to prove otherwise compared to other wings with equal or less production) but the way he plays now, I'm not sure anymore. He passes more, is more involved in the game... even if they don't click 100 percent, it's still more than Moulson does to help JT. I think they could work if they get enough time to get used to each other, but I'm not sure if Okposo is the right wing on the other side. Personally, I would prefer Bailey.

Grabner has improved his game and is not the same player he was during his stellar rookie year. I think Grabner with JT was tried back then for a game or two and it didn't really work. JT has also improved his game since then and I think it could really work now.

Grabner's speed through the neutral zone is a killer and everyone knows it. He's able to enter the offensive zone at will because the d-men must respect his speed and that would take a huge burden off of JT's shoulders. Grabner's playmaking ability is also vastly improved and he could streak into the zone and dish it off to JT who would have plenty of time and space - not to mention the defensemen skating backwards and in a purely defensive posture. No one else on the team is really capable of doing that for Johnny on the rush. KO's ability to possess the puck and be the 1st forward in on the forecheck would also help out the 'Chise. Theoretically, the line makes sense. Hopefully it works out in real life.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Martinek is probably the 8th dman on the depth chart, they jsut don't want to sign him and PAY him until an injury happens
Maybe they are trying to send a message to the D, If you don't pick up your game we have a replacement at the ready. We could really use his shot from the point. We have two winnable games coming up so it's time to get off the passenger train.

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
New lines at practice:

Grabner-Tavares-Okposo
Nelson/Bouchard-Nielsen-Bailey
Moulson-Regin-Clutterbuck
Martin/Boulton-Cizikas-McDonald

and Radek Martinek on the ice.
Moulson in a checking role fills me with dread.

On the other hand, watching him get exposed by the other team's best players, and aaaaaaalllllll the excuses his apologists will be forced to invent in his defense will be immeasurably entertaining.

Could we get something for a Moulson-Bouchard package?

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

On the other hand, watching him get exposed by the other team's best players, and aaaaaaalllllll the excuses his apologists will be forced to invent in his defense will be immeasurably entertaining.

Doubt it.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I never liked Grabner with JT, their styles don't seem to mix. I wouldn't mind a Bailey-JT-KO top line. Grabner thrives with Nielsen.

Agree with RDC, Nelson should be in Bridge polishing his diverse skills; a better environment for that stuff.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
The 3rd line being bad makes the 4th line bad because their playing way too many minutes imo. I like Martin, but he shouldn't be averaging 14 minutes a game.

Martin- 14:01
Cizikas- 14:43
McDonald- 12:45

3rd line is pretty much the 4th line.

Nelson- 11:31
Regin- 12:40
PMB- 12:35
Clutterbuck- 9:01

Grabner is leading the team in points and only has 15:01 of ice time. Bailey only has 14:27 of ice time, which is absurd.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
The 3rd line being bad makes the 4th line bad because their playing way too many minutes imo. I like Martin, but he shouldn't be averaging 14 minutes a game.

Martin- 14:01
Cizikas- 14:43
McDonald- 12:45

3rd line is pretty much the 4th line.

Nelson- 11:31
Regin- 12:40
PMB- 12:35
Clutterbuck- 9:01

Grabner is leading the team in points and only has 15:01 of ice time. Bailey only has 14:27 of ice time, which is absurd.

In part because he only has 9 seconds of power play time for the entire season. Only players with less than him are Clutterbuck and Carkner -- each with 0 seconds. Every other player has more power play time than our leading scorer.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Bailey needs to shoot more!!! kid has a great shot and never uses it...

The whole team needs to shoot more for that matter.

We also need to rethink how we are setting up the PP...

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009

the 3rd line is not our checking line. whatever line nielsen is on is our checking line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad