U18: 5-Nations Tournament, Sochi, Russia 5-9 feb

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
Well, coaching has everything to do with lines never staying together for more than a shift(and some centers double shifting on the wing, for reasons I have no idea), PP lines, & how players should play/what areas they should go to. Also when we did have set lines: what lines we're playing.

Ok, let's say you have identified what pulls the train. Let's say you have set up your team based on that insight. Let's then say you're down 0-4 after 1/3 and your locomotive is not working. You're the coach, what do you do?

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
6-2 Finland

Sweden finnishes 2nd last ahead of czechs. Bad tournament other than the US win.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
So many players on this Swedish team who clearly lacks hockey sense. Four guys staring at the puck on that last goal, nobody picks up the trailing player. There will be key players added but this age group just isn't good enough.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
So many players on this Swedish team who clearly lacks hockey sense. Four guys staring at the puck on that last goal, nobody picks up the trailing player. There will be key players added but this age group just isn't good enough.
Future looks grim? How is the 03 age group?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Ok, let's say you have identified what pulls the train. Let's say you have set up your team based on that insight. Let's then say you're down 0-4 after 1/3 and your locomotive is not working. You're the coach, what do you do?
Well, get rid of the system the coach is currently employing(start attacking the front of the net, stop dumping in when there's players on the opposing team close to where the puck would end up, and there's nobody there to forecheck), start to not change up lines every shift. Also this particular game; play Raymond on a lower line. I'd actually have tried and split Raymond, & Holtz up for the whole tournament.

I'd have liked to see a top 6 like this:

Gunler - Costmar - Holtz
Raymond - Henriksson/Bjerselius - Nybeck (I'd prefer Bjerselius, but Henriksson has chemistry with Raymond from Frölunda)

----

Also: Nybeck ends the game with 3 points(1G, 2A).

Reactions: perolofbrasar

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
Well, get rid of the system the coach is currently employing(start attacking the front of the net, stop dumping in when there's players on the opposing team close to where the puck would end up, and there's nobody there to forecheck), start to not change up lines every shift. Also this particular game; play Raymond on a lower line. I'd actually have tried and split Raymond, & Holtz up for the whole tournament.

I'd have liked to see a top 6 like this:

Gunler - Costmar - Holtz
Raymond - Henriksson/Bjerselius - Nybeck (I'd prefer Bjerselius, but Henriksson has chemistry with Raymond from Frölunda)

----

Also: Nybeck ends the game with 3 points(1G, 2A).

Your answer has a lot of validity from now on (post game). I am surprised how long this has been going on with the 01's since what we saw today has happened so many times the last couple of years. But I see this just as much as a roster issue.

You could have a point with your line suggestions, but there needs to be more depth and "secondary scoring". Come World Juniors, more than half the team should be underaged, could be as much as 65%.

Weak and narrow age group, topped with too many players who are being bred as "the guy" at their HG not showing signs of being "that guy".

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this coach wants to get all his players drafted. How else could you explain these lines? He’s done it all season, also. It hurts the team when players without skill drag down our best players.

Reactions: perolofbrasar

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vlasic needs to learn to be less aggressive, given the way he skates. He creates too many defensive problems for his own team because he tries to always make plays up the ice and can’t get back.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Your answer has a lot of validity from now on (post game). I am surprised how long this has been going on with the 01's since what we saw today has happened so many times the last couple of years. But I see this just as much as a roster issue.

You could have a point with your line suggestions, but there needs to be more depth and "secondary scoring". Come World Juniors, more than half the team should be underaged, could be as much as 65%.

Weak and narrow age group, topped with too many players who are being bred as "the guy" at their HG not showing signs of being "that guy".
Yeah the 01 forwards are a weak group. There's really only Gunler, Holmström, & Grewe(the last 2 who didn't play this tournament, well, Grewe played one game, got injured, and played another game injured. You could make an argument for Costmar imo). The 02 and 03 forwards are looking really strong & deep, though.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Agree. I would have liked to see them try more players in these tournaments. Bendelin kept the same group over the entire season and it looks like Hävelid is sticking to that strategy. The depth forwards in particular have not contributed offensively at any point. Hävelid should also have tried some new centers, that position is a clear weakness on this team and has been for a while now. Nybeck came in and looked good and I'm sure there are other options like him out there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Knight has been outplayed by Askarov today. As good as Knight is, Askarov is better.

If Knight is a top 20 pick, how high will Askarov be picked in 2020?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good of Turcotte to show up in this tournament, at least, since all the others have decided not to.

And as I say that, Russia answers his goal quickly. Worst game this age group has ever played, and this’ll be their second loss in international competitions.

Reactions: trufflepiggy

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Kakko would've played with men if not his injury, but he is playing with TPS. Lundell probably is just getting some rest. And like previously someone said, Honka is an overager.
I didn't know Kakko was out injured. Would have been fun to see Kakko vs Hughes but too bad they were both out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad