Post-Game Talk: #5 | Flyers at Stars | October 21, 2023 | OT LOSS 5-4

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Atkinson Tippy Hot Rod 3 worst fwds , wonder who comes out next game ?

Obviously Shit Truck doesn’t count , his worst in awhile.
Frost of course .

I ask again how many Charlie Brown's are out there over the start?
Missed Kick GIF - Missed Kick Kick Missed GIFs

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Brink and Foerster are making it hard to send them down.
Cates may be a mediocre offensive player, but all he does is make plays that help you win.
Tippett is struggling, not sure b/c he's on his off side or he's a bad fit with Couts. Put him back with Frost and see what happens.
Zamula should start, Andrae should also start on the first pair in LHV.

Ersson gave up 3 stopable goals.
those goals he let up from the right side, except for maybe the first one? where he was too far left, i cant blame him too much for. dallas players flying in with speed and ripping them from the dots on the off wing is a tough shot in the nhl these days, especially when two of the guys, if i remember correctly because i was watching on and off were benn and hintz. you want them stopped, but still tough shots.

hockeynormy

Oct 21, 2023
Frost has to be healthy scratched for 2 more games to be eligible for a conditioning assignment, without requiring waivers.

The exception is the one-time exception for a two-week or 3 game conditioning assignment if healthy scratched for 5 consecutive games.
Is this their plan for Frost?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Is this their plan for Frost?
Probably not… doesn’t seem like there’s a plan for Morgan Frost.

Torts doesn’t like Frost’s defensive game from what I’m taking of the healthy scratches.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Morgan isn’t apart of the Flyers organization after the deadline as picks and prospects will take priority over players who don’t fit Briere’s/Torts mold as hockey players.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

hockeynormy

Oct 21, 2023
Probably not… doesn’t seem like there’s a plan for Morgan Frost.

Torts doesn’t like Frost’s defensive game from what I’m taking of the healthy scratches.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Morgan isn’t apart of the Flyers organization after the deadline as picks and prospects will take priority over players who don’t fit Briere’s/Torts mold as hockey players.

while I’d like to see Frost succeed here, Torts evaluations of players has been fairly accurate in my mind, at least in the case of Hayes and Deangelo. We shall see

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think they know that Cates is an upgrade over Laughton, but still a 3C/LW hybrid who can be used as a role player.

They need a 2C to go with Couts in the short-run, and a 1C down the road.
I think that Torts wants someone like Dubois.
Frost has to score at a high 2C level to keep him there, because defensively he doesn't fit the way Torts uses his centers.
If the had that big two way center, they might move Frost to LW.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Briere is in a tough spot, except that they're rebuilding.
They have 5 RWs on the roster, and only one "true" LW in Farabee.
Laughton, Cates and Frost could play LW, but two have to play center.

If they were a playoff team, Briere would be on the phones looking for a LW/C, and to move out a RW.

But since they're rebuilding, he's not going to eat assets to move Atkinson, nor would he want to move TK, Brink, Tippett or Foerster unless he gets a really good offer. No fire sale.

Andrae is not ready for prime time, things will settle down once they get Risto back.
York - Sanheim
Zamula - Walker
Seeler - Risto

Seeler - Risto were a solid pair last season, FF 51.79%, xGF 57.69%, GF% 54.59%
Seeler seems more comfortable on the left side, and Zamula would benefit from being paired with Walker on a regular basis.
Unless you think this team will be competing in 2 years or less, yes, Briere should be looking at moving TK. Especially considering the haul he would garner.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Game was a fun one. It seems like Dallas values the center of the ice, they took no shots from the points. Their defense was focused on cycling and not shooting from the point. They also did a good job at 5v5 limiting offensive chances from the middle of the ice.

The Flyers were stark contrasts, at least this game. They dominated the shot and shot attempt battle, but the xGF was slightly ahead for Dallas (per EH and NST). Dallas also had more scoring chances for (per NST). The Flyers don’t have the personnel to play a controlled cycle game, and the players that could do that are not deployed together consistently.

A few items:

-Love Brink, glad he’s here. Was one of the more electric skaters for the flyers
-Farabee looks miles better than last year. He and Brink are two guys who could play a cycle game. I’d love to see Frost b/t them, but we’ll see if that happens
-Couts still has the hands, but his legs still need some time. Not an attack, I just think he need more time
-Sanheim looked like a force out there, so awesome to see
-Tippett isn’t the same player as last season. He’s not as fast, last year he looked like the fastest skater in the league, with supreme separation speed. He doesn’t seem to have the exceptional top gear. He was taken wide and sent to the boards two or three times. It could be due to the side he’s on.
-Foerster is a player. I am not sure how much NHL offense he’s going to provide long term, but he clearly belongs in the NHL.

Tippett did outright win an entry and carried it deep on raw speed once. I forget when. But yeah, he didn't get completely free like he had.

Reactions: VladDrag

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think there may be changes down the road, going into camp, I think Briere didn't expect Brink to make the team, and he wasn't sure what he had in Foerster. Nor did he know what he had in Couts and Atkinson, and Farabee was coming off a bad season. So going into the season, he was probably reluctant to trade a veteran forward unless someone made him a great offer.

Now he has a potential logjam, but there's no rush, only 5 games, some of the performances might be "fool's gold."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad