Post-Game Talk: #5 | Flyers at Stars | October 21, 2023 | OT LOSS 5-4

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Atkinson Tippy Hot Rod 3 worst fwds , wonder who comes out next game ?

Obviously Shit Truck doesn’t count , his worst in awhile.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Entertaining, rough one for Ersson.

I wanna shout out how utterly ineffectual the 4th line is. Poehling is fine. Hathaway can be fine, but is playing like he was told to just hit stuff. Deslauriers is Jody Shelley-tier irrelevant.

They are either one and done or BANGIN BODIES IN THA CORNERS, but never actually holding possession in any way. And they are a disaster in their own end.

Don't give me a stupid-ass nickname. Laughton at 4LW straightens that situation out, and then you can get Frost in your top 9 like a normal NHL team.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Three SHGs in a game for Flyers:
  • vs. Washington 1983 -- Howe, Dvorak, Sinisalo
  • vs. Calgary 1985 -- Poulin, Propp, Propp
  • at NY Islanders 1996 -- Podein, Otto, Brind'Amour
  • at Dallas 2023 -- Konecny, Konecny, Walker
Quickest two SHGs (unofficially) from what I can find:
  • Craven/Howe 26 seconds at New Jersey 1986
  • Barber/Barber 27 seconds at Los Angeles 1978 (the game Rick MacLeish had 80 stitches across his throat and then had a drag from a cigarette... bleep ya!).
  • Howe/Barber 32 seconds vs. Hartford 1983
  • Konecny/Walker 47 seconds at Dallas 2023

Last edited:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
They were heavy turnovers though. 20 pounds of muscle turnovers.
He needs to get used to putting a little extra zip on his passes. He needs to take into account his own massive gravitational pull now.

Also I'm starting to think the Flyers clips guy on Twitter is a sleeper agent set up by the team. He is fluffing the rookies a little too vigoursly for me to trust him at this point.

Reactions: Magua

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Fun game. Flyers actually played well.

Ersson wasn't great today, but he hadn't played in a while.

Good candidate to get benched in Tippett, but he was out there in OT, so I doubt Frost comes in for him. Laughton or even Frost would be better LW options than Tippett.

The Flyers just need to keep with the rebuilding/"retooling" plan. They do need to add a few additional pieces to the pipeline (although Cutter and Michkov look to be decent adds to me), I'd be more concerned that this team ends up as a borderline playoff team and they spend assets.

The NHL really seems to be more about not screwing up your team and cap space rather than anything else. They should probably ship Laughton off and keep going since I'm ok with re-signing TK.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
The Flyers just need to keep with the rebuilding/"retooling" plan. They do need to add a few additional pieces to the pipeline (although Cutter and Michkov look to be decent adds to me), I'd be more concerned that this team ends up as a borderline playoff team and they spend assets.

The NHL really seems to be more about not screwing up your team and cap space rather than anything else. They should probably ship Laughton off and keep going since I'm ok with re-signing TK.
theyll have to start making hard decisions soon. cates is just not the guy for 2C, he can do everything he's good at further down the lineup and on the penalty kill and still be a really consistent defensive player, but we need to identify our most consistent and effective offensive players to keep building around. its nice that brink is playing so well, but outside of konecny couturier farabee everyone else has been hit or miss and the top line isnt always going to have big games. 2nd lines by virtue of being the 2nd most consistent players on a given team are going to make mistakes, teams will always turn over pucks at shitty times, but Noah Cates cant score between the legs goals in close through tight checking, hes not a weapon in overtime, he doesnt have the foot speed to push defenses back, and we've already seen how many chances have died on his stick. Its not even fair at this point to send Tyson down or bring anyone else up if the centers they play with are Laughton and Cates. If the the 4th line is built to score less than 10 goals this season we gotta make that up somewhere else.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Brink and Foerster are making it hard to send them down.
Cates may be a mediocre offensive player, but all he does is make plays that help you win.
Tippett is struggling, not sure b/c he's on his off side or he's a bad fit with Couts. Put him back with Frost and see what happens.
Zamula should start, Andrae should also start on the first pair in LHV.

Ersson gave up 3 stopable goals.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Three SHGs in a game for Flyers:
  • vs. Washington 1983 -- Howe, Dvorak, Sinisalo
  • vs. Calgary 1985 -- Poulin, Propp, Propp
  • at NY Islanders 1996 -- Podein, Otto, Brind'Amour
  • at Dallas 2023 -- Konecny, Konecny, Walker
Quickest two SHGs (unofficially) from what I can find:
  • Craven/Howe 26 seconds at New Jersey 1986
  • Barber/Barber 27 seconds at Los Angeles 1978 (the game Rick MacLeish had 80 stitches across his throat and then had a drag from a cigarette... bleep ya!).
  • Howe/Barber 32 seconds vs. Hartford 1983
  • Konecny/Walker 47 seconds at Dallas 2023

Man do I miss Simon Gagne, and when the team was a legit contender every year. Feels like a lifetime ago.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Game was a fun one. It seems like Dallas values the center of the ice, they took no shots from the points. Their defense was focused on cycling and not shooting from the point. They also did a good job at 5v5 limiting offensive chances from the middle of the ice.

The Flyers were stark contrasts, at least this game. They dominated the shot and shot attempt battle, but the xGF was slightly ahead for Dallas (per EH and NST). Dallas also had more scoring chances for (per NST). The Flyers don’t have the personnel to play a controlled cycle game, and the players that could do that are not deployed together consistently.

A few items:

-Love Brink, glad he’s here. Was one of the more electric skaters for the flyers
-Farabee looks miles better than last year. He and Brink are two guys who could play a cycle game. I’d love to see Frost b/t them, but we’ll see if that happens
-Couts still has the hands, but his legs still need some time. Not an attack, I just think he need more time
-Sanheim looked like a force out there, so awesome to see
-Tippett isn’t the same player as last season. He’s not as fast, last year he looked like the fastest skater in the league, with supreme separation speed. He doesn’t seem to have the exceptional top gear. He was taken wide and sent to the boards two or three times. It could be due to the side he’s on.
-Foerster is a player. I am not sure how much NHL offense he’s going to provide long term, but he clearly belongs in the NHL.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No one... could've predicted this start.....
Really? They started 5-2-1 in October last year, and this season they removed Provorov and Angelo while returning Couturier and Atkinson. Now they are 3-1-1 with the following games left this month:

at VGK
vs Min
vs Ana
vs Car

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
-Tippett isn’t the same player as last season. He’s not as fast, last year he looked like the fastest skater in the league, with supreme separation speed. He doesn’t seem to have the exceptional top gear. He was taken wide and sent to the boards two or three times. It could be due to the side he’s on.
He also missed a day of practice, so he might be carrying a knock. Unfortunately, they don't have anyone on the roster who could replace him in the top 9, so he has to play every game and possibly make the injury worse.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Briere is in a tough spot, except that they're rebuilding.
They have 5 RWs on the roster, and only one "true" LW in Farabee.
Laughton, Cates and Frost could play LW, but two have to play center.

If they were a playoff team, Briere would be on the phones looking for a LW/C, and to move out a RW.

But since they're rebuilding, he's not going to eat assets to move Atkinson, nor would he want to move TK, Brink, Tippett or Foerster unless he gets a really good offer. No fire sale.

Andrae is not ready for prime time, things will settle down once they get Risto back.
York - Sanheim
Zamula - Walker
Seeler - Risto

Seeler - Risto were a solid pair last season, FF 51.79%, xGF 57.69%, GF% 54.59%
Seeler seems more comfortable on the left side, and Zamula would benefit from being paired with Walker on a regular basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad