GDT: #5 | Capitals at FLYERS | Sat. Oct. 14, 7:00 pm ET| NBCSP, NBCSWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
After Neuvirth was excellent in his game last week and Elliott was awful against the Preds, the answer who to start seems logical, but account for Haklogic, which comes down to: "Did my goalie battle hard last game?"

"We're starting Elliott tonight since you didn't battle hard enough last game, Neuvy."

"I didn't play last game."

"Exactly."

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
After Neuvirth was excellent in his game last week and Elliott was awful against the Preds, the answer who to start seems logical, but account for Haklogic, which comes down to: "Did my goalie battle hard last game?"
I hate to do it, but I agree with Hakstok on this one. Giving Elliott a chance to bounce back is probably a good move for his confidence. Opposed to the typical Hak style of benching people when they mess up and making them nervous about f***ing up in the future.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I wish I could go to this one. Home opener, Ovi's on fire, tailgate and there's some decent tix still available.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I hate to do it, but I agree with Hakstok on this one. Giving Elliott a chance to bounce back is probably a good move for his confidence. Opposed to the typical Hak style of benching people when they mess up and making them nervous about ****ing up in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a big issue with Elliott starting. He's been solid enough 2 games out of 3. I can get what you're saying. But.....

I doubt Hakstol would have had any issue starting Neuvirth over Mason in a similar scenario. Neuvirth had a very good pre-season and single game, but he's benched for 4/5 games, including after an Elliott stinker, and if Elliott does well enough tomorrow, I suppose another string of starts is ahead. After all this "platoon, platoon, PLATOON!" talk, I just find it funny that it doesn't seem like one so far.

bbfe5755-078d-4499-b6cf-b25dd1839014-giphy.gif

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Don't get me wrong, I don't have a big issue with Elliott starting. He's been solid enough 2 games out of 3. I can get what you're saying. But.....

I doubt Hakstol would have had any issue starting Neuvirth over Mason in a similar scenario. Neuvirth had a very good pre-season and single game, but he's benched for 4/5 games, including after an Elliott stinker, and if Elliott does well enough tomorrow, I suppose another string of starts is ahead. After all this "platoon, platoon, PLATOON!" talk, I just find it funny that it doesn't seem like one so far.

bbfe5755-078d-4499-b6cf-b25dd1839014-giphy.gif
True, but I wonder if last game changed the plans. Maybe Neuvirth was expected to get the call tomorrow but after Tuesdays game they want to get Elliott back out as soon as possible, for the reasons I mentioned.

Not that I think it's that vitally important, but I could easily see an NHL coach thinking this way.

Personally, I couldn't care less which started. Like I said, I kind of agree with starting Elliott, but I certainly wouldn't have been against Neuvirth.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Mason got off to a slow start last season and Hakstol kept feeding him starts to try and get him out of it. granted Neuvirth was arguably worse at the beginning last season. But he had no issue going back to Mason after some poor starts last fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad