5 best 5 worst

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Best

1. Greene - The calmest head on the ice and the guy who tried to make something happen at the worst of times.
2. Bernier - Maybe he missed a ton, but he put himself in a position to have chances more than any other guy on the team.
3. Loktionov - A nice start. Let's hope he shows even more going forward.
4. Kovy - Someone who can occasionally do more than cycle. Yay.
5. Elias / Carter - When they were on, they were on.

Worst

1. Volchenkov - Doesn't bring anything. His so-called physicality has cost us more games in the past three years than any defenseman on the team.
2. Zajac - My favorite player, but he has to produce. Battle level is not enough. I think he's capable of thinking the offensive game better than he has.
3. Hedberg - A backup with a lot of playing time has to steal some of those games. Not sure what happened, but maybe we asked too much. More than a few softies.
4. Clarkson - Disappeared. Plain and simple. Again, maybe we asked too much.
5. Henrique - I'm not sure why he doesn't have the same confidence 5-on-5 that he has on the PK. I wonder if he should be more selfish.

What's clear is that you cannot disrespect the idea of top end talent. It has a cumulative effect on your whole team.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Understandable. I happen to think this has more to do with Pete putting a massive leash on him and crushing his confidence by benching him if he makes even a single mistake than the Subban hit.

I still think Larsson will be a solid D guy but more Victor Hedman than Erik Karlsson and many felt we were drafting the latter than the former

yehyeh

Devils. Devils? Yeah, Devils.
Dec 17, 2011
NNJ
2. Bernier - Maybe he missed a ton, but he put himself in a position to have chances more than any other guy on the team.

IMHO I think Bernier played fantastic this year. I think he (along with the often frustrated Elias and the magical Loki) generally was trying to "fill the Zack gap" and it really showed when he was on the ice.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I think he'll be in between. Better than Hedman but not as impactful as Karlsson.

He's got great transition ability and when things are going well, he has a confidence that seems to push him to controlling the game. I see a young kid who's slowly learning how to be economical with his movements.

I'm really not worried about our defense going forward. I just don't see the whole group of Fayne, Larsson, Merrill, Urbom, Gelinas, Burlon, Severson and Scarlett becoming nothing.

DevilChuk*

5 good
1. Greene- the only defenseman who regularly impressed, I was annoyed we kept him a few years ago but he's been great the past few years.
2. Loktionov- cheap pick-up and the kid can certainly play. Hopefully he slots in as a very good 2C for us for a few years to come.
3. Bernier- really good season for him. Of that entire line, he's the only one who probably deserves more playing time.
4. Kovalchuk- His even-strength numbers suffered but we didn't help with his line-mates. Regardless of his numbers, Kovalchuk has proven to be the heart and soul of this team. That, to me, is something positive because he's the type of guy who seems to be able to get a team going (i.e. not Salvador). I'm worried that he hasn't really been able to deke a guy out cleanly as of late but his speed and shot are still superb.
5. Larsson- when he was allowed to play his game, the guy has looked impressive. his stick work is top, his foot work and shot need work. I'm still looking to see some offensive development but I don't really put that on Larsson's head right now.

HM: 1st half of the season Elias, Gionta, Carter

5 worst
1. Volchenkov- Becoming the scapegoat around here but he was absolutely atrocious. Flatfooted and bone head plays. He needs to be out of here though I'll certainly miss the guy.
2. Zajac- His defensive game was superb but his offense struggled out of the gate. It certainly got better but we need more from him. We're not going anywhere if he's incapable of being our 1C again.
3. Henrique- His goal scoring numbers were okay but his play making completely non-existent. I like how he continues to play with a mean streak but he didn't work well with his linemates this year.
4. Salvador- When you have a team that struggled like this one after showing they can be competitive, I blame leadership. His on-ice play certainly didn't redeem his inability to have his finger on the pulse of the team.
5. Clarkson- Guy came out blazing hot and disappeared down the stretch. I don't really fault him, we have crazy expectations for him and considering where we came from a few years ago, it's our fault more than anything else in this case. But he used to be a guy who can get our offense going with a spark and he's seem to lost that asset in his game. I'd rather that than the Clarkson who has the 3rd most shots in the NHL.

HM: Hedberg. Deboer.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I still think Larsson will be a solid D guy but more Victor Hedman than Erik Karlsson and many felt we were drafting the latter than the former

I never thought that he'd be anything like Karlsson and anyone who did wasn't watching him. He's not even in the same league skating wise as EK. His offense isn't on the same level either. That said, you could say those same things about Lidstrom and he was pretty impactful. Not to say I think Larsson has the potential to be that impactful, but a poor mans Lidstrom is something I could see him becoming.

Hedman is underrated too. Nothing wrong with being as good as him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Oh I love the guy. One of the biggest things anyone could say against him was that he was selfish and didn't care... but man has he proved that wrong. He's the ultimate team player and the ultimate competitor and we are damn lucky to have him in black and red every game. I just hope he doesn't hurt himself this coming week... and I kind of hope he sits out the World tourney. I know how passionate he is about his country but we need a 110% healthy and ready to go Kovy in September.

It is why I wanted him to wear the C, and want him to wear it next year. This team seems to really be lacking that fiery on ice leadership, but as fiery as Kovy is I think he tempers it with the team out of respect for the current captain (in this case Sal). I honestly think if Pete and/or Lou gave Kovy the team with the C he would rise to the occasion and lead this team and not let them sag like they did all year.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
The good, in no order: Greene, Loktionov, Carter, Bernier but after that I honestly come up empty. I could say that Larsson started to grow as a player in the last games, and the fourth line is still a bright spot but it feels like grasping at straws.

The bad: Volchenkov, Ponikarovski, Henrique, Our goalie duo yeah both of them, and I give fifth spot to Lou. Watching Parise walk and do nothing to replace him but to fill with bottom six players is the biggest one thing that sunk this team out of playoffs this year.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Bernier has been awesome, for his role. He's got enough talent to be able to be slotted up in any line, and still does his job as a 4th liner. He's been great.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
The question was to expectation,,,,not overall play,,,Larsson has not progressed much and may suffer from Xavier LaFlamme syndrom since the Subban hit, I have never been a huge Volch guy so my expectations werent high

I totally agree that Larsson has not been the same since that hit by Subban, but also DeBoer benching and scratching him for every mistake, it kills confidence and development, I thought he played well this year, give him time and I think he will prove a lot of doubters wrong.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Zajac was the worst this year, I am also certain he rushed his contract because he knew Parise made him good. Maybe it's far fetched but at this point you have to wonder why he decided to resign so early...

Last edited:

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
Best moment of 2013 season

Worst moment of 2013 season

- Blowing leads to both teams in the Sunshine State in one weekend

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think Larsson is going to be the better defenceman long term.

why though? hedman is pretty much better than larsson in every way as of now except for maybe being slightly less physical(larsson isnt that physical either). he's an elite skater, shuts down other teams top lines, has a booming shot, great positionally...the list goes on. i think larsson can be as good as him, but i dont see anything that would indicate he'll be better. hedman definitely has more in the toolbag, but larsson may have a more cerebral game. we'll see i hope he's better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Zajac was the worst this year, I am also certain he rushed his contract because he knew Parise made him good. Maybe it's far fetched but at this point you have to wonder why he decided to resign so early...

He got eight years, there was no reason not to rush it. He wasn't going to get more in FA unless he got close to $7 million over 7 years from another team, which was extremely unlikely with a 'good' year. People don't realize how much the new system affected things. Perry/Getzlaf don't sign deals in-season under the old system either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad