5 best 5 worst

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Adam Henrique had a pretty good year on paper, but the consistency has been a problem.

On what premise? He had 11-5-16 E in 39 games. That's basically 35 points for a full season, terrible really considering he scored mid-50's last year. He would have barely hit 20 goals prorated, maybe close to 25 but a lot of them came early too when he was more in gameshape than most (injury or no injury).

To go off the original thread title I'd say based on my grades above:

Most dissapointing: Moose, Sal, Josefson, Zajac, Henrique
Best bang for the buck: Greene, CBGB, Loiktionov

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
5 worst
Volch contract and on ice performance
Salvador as captain
Mis-use of Kovy
Shaw's PP
Lou's failure to replace Zach
Honorable mention is Pete's stubbornness to not give Kinkaid or Frazee a start when Moose was a disaster.

Scoring woes due to subpar seasons from just about every forward did not help.
We are in dire need of Lou magic this summer.
Does he still have it in him?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
There's still something wrong with what's going on with Kovalchuk. First, he was flexing his shoulder in the penalty box today... he better sit if he's not 100%.

Also, 10 goals in 34 games.... even if he's excelling in other areas (which he is) this is not enough. That's a pace of under 30 goals for an 82 game season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
On what premise? He had 11-5-16 E in 39 games. That's basically 35 points for a full season, terrible really considering he scored mid-50's last year. He would have barely hit 20 goals prorated, maybe close to 25 but a lot of them came early too when he was more in gameshape than most (injury or no injury).

To go off the original thread title I'd say based on my grades above:

Most dissapointing: Moose, Sal, Josefson, Zajac, Henrique
Best bang for the buck: Greene, CBGB, Loiktionov
Alright I'll say an okay season on paper. He seemed to score in bunches. Like two different streaks of goal/point scoring with long stretches in between of nothing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's still something wrong with what's going on with Kovalchuk. First, he was flexing his shoulder in the penalty box today... he better sit if he's not 100%.

Also, 10 goals in 34 games.... even if he's excelling in other areas (which he is) this is not enough. That's a pace of under 30 goals for an 82 game season.

Kovalchuk was on pace for less than 30 goals last year around the 30 game mark too. He heated up around the 20-30 game mark somewhere.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I have to say I do admire the fact you have to drag Kovy out of the lineup, as opposed to Zach who basically didn't fight being scratched when he was 'more' healthy in the same situation two years ago. And he's got four months to rest before preseason next year anyway. But yeah, I'd rather not see him play if he was fibbing about stretching his shoulder.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Adam's shot lost a lot in accuracy this season. How many times did he miss the net lately ?

He'll bounce back though.

Thank his stupid ****ing high curve on his stick. He changed it for this season and its really bad He is not a sniper, yet is using a blade similar to Kovy's. While I don't think that's entirely why, it's a huge part of it.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I have to say I do admire the fact you have to drag Kovy out of the lineup, as opposed to Zach who basically didn't fight being scratched when he was 'more' healthy in the same situation two years ago. And he's got four months to rest before preseason next year anyway. But yeah, I'd rather not see him play if he was fibbing about stretching his shoulder.

Oh I love the guy. One of the biggest things anyone could say against him was that he was selfish and didn't care... but man has he proved that wrong. He's the ultimate team player and the ultimate competitor and we are damn lucky to have him in black and red every game. I just hope he doesn't hurt himself this coming week... and I kind of hope he sits out the World tourney. I know how passionate he is about his country but we need a 110% healthy and ready to go Kovy in September.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey

He was also slammed into the boards and got up very slowly later in the third after that penalty. He never should have played under 100%, this team was going nowhere.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Oh I love the guy. One of the biggest things anyone could say against him was that he was selfish and didn't care... but man has he proved that wrong. He's the ultimate team player and the ultimate competitor and we are damn lucky to have him in black and red every game. I just hope he doesn't hurt himself this coming week... and I kind of hope he sits out the World tourney. I know how passionate he is about his country but we need a 110% healthy and ready to go Kovy in September.

Oh geez I forgot about that. So he won't have four months to rest then.

I do think the Olympics in January are obviously going to take precedence over any World Championship now though.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
If Henrique had a Parise like blade on his stick, he'd be able to handle the puck better and not shoot the puck high and wide nearly as often.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Also does Kovy really ever rest? Doesn't he go to Russia and run with weights in the mountains almost every day? That is dedication.

Last edited:

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Wonder if he yells STANLEY CUP! when he gets to the top of the mountain like Rocky yelling Drago!:laugh:

Kovy yelling anything is hilarious. In that 2012 Devils Flyers playoffs Mic'd up video on YouTube, when he scores he belts out a yeah that's outta this world. I can't link the video from my phone but I'm sure you've seen it.

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
honestly zidlicky has been one of the worst players on this team. yes he is an offensive defenseman and that is great, but i think he forgets sometimes that he is a defenseman. and if he can't play defense, all he is is a man. if he's just gonna pinch at bad times, force odd man rushes, and play bad defense why can't he just play forward?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kovy yelling anything is hilarious. In that 2012 Devils Flyers playoffs Mic'd up video on YouTube, when he scores he belts out a yeah that's outta this world. I can't link the video from my phone but I'm sure you've seen it.

Yeah I remember it! I kinda wish we could give the C to Kovy. No offense to Salvador.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Ill do top 3.

Best:
1. Greene: Solid D for most of the season, found some of that offensive magic he had lost.
2. Loktionov: Great acquirement, i hope he makes it as a regular
3. Pete Deboer: The system was there during losing streak. We controlled the play, but lack of individual skill resulted in poor scoring.

Worst:
1. Zajac: Not playing at his level, not a superstar
2. Henrique: Last year was a fluke
3. Volchenkov: You all know why.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
honestly zidlicky has been one of the worst players on this team. yes he is an offensive defenseman and that is great, but i think he forgets sometimes that he is a defenseman. and if he can't play defense, all he is is a man. if he's just gonna pinch at bad times, force odd man rushes, and play bad defense why can't he just play forward?

There are times when when I love Zid and times when I hate him. He makes offensive plays and has an offensive eye that no other d man on the team comes close to matching. That said, his defence is questionable at the best of times. Overall, for me, its a wash. If he's back that's fine with me. If not that's cool too.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Best....,Bernier..Greene...Loki...Carter...Elias...

Worst..Zajac...Poni....Clarkson last 30g..Tedenby...Larsson

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What was wrong with Larsson exactly? I thought he was fine for the most part. Not great but not bad either. Certainly way way way better than Volch who didn't make your worst list.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
What was wrong with Larsson exactly? I thought he was fine for the most part. Not great but not bad either. Certainly way way way better than Volch who didn't make your worst list.
The question was to expectation,,,,not overall play,,,Larsson has not progressed much and may suffer from Xavier LaFlamme syndrom since the Subban hit, I have never been a huge Volch guy so my expectations werent high

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The question was to expectation,,,,not overall play,,,Larsson has not progressed much and may suffer from Xavier LaFlamme syndrom since the Subban hit, I have never been a huge Volch guy so my expectations werent high

Understandable. I happen to think this has more to do with Pete putting a massive leash on him and crushing his confidence by benching him if he makes even a single mistake than the Subban hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad