Post-Game Talk: 5 and 0 on the road!

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
That has Eller hater written all over it. This is so much BS all rolled into one post.

No it doesn't. I'm one of Eller's bigger fans around here but I've always said that he's a prototypical 3rd line centre that this team has lacked for a while. Can he maybe step up and be a 2nd centre? Maybe.. but it wouldn't be on a winning team.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
No it doesn't. I'm one of Eller's bigger fans around here but I've always said that he's a prototypical 3rd line centre that this team has lacked for a while. Can he maybe step up and be a 2nd centre? Maybe.. but it wouldn't be on a winning team.

Agreed. He's best fit for a depth scorer in a 3rd line role.

Eller has some streaks where he looks like a top line kind of guy, but he tends to be inconsistent. Having him on the 3rd line is a luxury. Having him on the second line would make it a position of weakness, in my opinion.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
P.K. Subban is turning out to be a dominant defensive player. Is there anything this guy can't do? What a treat to have him for the next 7.5 years!

7.5 years + : subban will be 34 when contract is up, he will get a very affordable 4-5 year deal at 6 mill a year(maybe less if hometown discount) or so and live out his remaining days as a hab

where as drew doughty's 7.5 mill a year contract goes up when he turns 28 years old... he wont be getting a 5 year 6 mill a year deal thats for sure....

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
7.5 years + : subban will be 34 when contract is up, he will get a very affordable 4-5 year deal at 6 mill a year(maybe less if hometown discount) or so and live out his remaining days as a hab

where as drew doughty's 7.5 mill a year contract goes up when he turns 28 years old... he wont be getting a 5 year 6 mill a year deal thats for sure....

Frig that just sounds depressing, can we clone him?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Yeah, no... :laugh:

Unless you think he completely falls off the map by 34, he will be paid probably close to what he's paid right now on his next contract, albeit probably on a much shorter term.

The cap in 8 years could be north of 90M for all we know... I think the odds PK eventually resigning for somewhere around 12M are higher than him resigning for 6M, assuming he stays at an elite level for the duration of his contract.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
He was always good defensively, but he's becoming downright dominant. This evolution is a wonderful thing to watch for us, and painful for all the haters.

9milz amirite?

Crazy to think where he'd be at right now in terms of points if we had a decent PP :laugh: He'd be right next to Giordano in the Norris race.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
The tragedy seems to be MT's ego and his success...I want the Habs to win, not Therrien...I was a fan of the TEAM before Therrien, and will be once he is fired...not really that hard to grasp...
Go Habs Go!!!

So it's his ego you guys don't like now?

:laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What this thread is missing is some vitriol for Therrien and his coaching tactics. Yet in that department all I hear are crickets chirping in the middle of winter
If the team plays well, he won't be criticized. If it plays poorly he will. Seems like a pretty simple concept.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Yeah, no... :laugh:

Unless you think he completely falls off the map by 34, he will be paid probably close to what he's paid right now on his next contract, albeit probably on a much shorter term.

The cap in 8 years could be north of 90M for all we know... I think the odds PK eventually resigning for somewhere around 12M are higher than him resigning for 6M, assuming he stays at an elite level for the duration of his contract.

thats what you think, and i have what i think.

but who cares, its 8 years away

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He was always good defensively, but he's becoming downright dominant. This evolution is a wonderful thing to watch for us, and painful for all the haters.
He was actually more dominant before than he is now if you follow the fancy stats. In 2013 he was the best blueliner in the game. He's still very good but he's not as good as he was. Reason being that whenever he was on the ice before the puck was in the other team's end almost 100 percent of the time. Still a wicked player though and he made a few really nice defensive plays last night. Just a great player.
I think he'd be a pretty good 2nd line center. As a 3rd liner... he's awesome.
Eller is a great #3 C. Nothing has shown us he would be a great #2 C. at least, not with any kind of consistency.
His point production has been right in line with DD's at regular strength playing with scrubs and in a defensive role. He has the best possession numbers on the team this year and again has played mostly in a defensive role with rotating wingers. Give him PP time and Sekac... no reason this guy couldn't be a 50+ point 2nd line center.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Don't get me wrong, PK has talent but it will take a while before he becomes dominant defensively. The guy has been struggling at it all year. Let's cool off on the kool aid.

PricePkPatch*

Habs are doing well overall at the moment. Everything seems to be clicking just about right, at just the right amount. Beaulieu finally came into his own and is benefiting from Gonchar's mentoring. Desharnais is rediscovering himself as a polyvalent offensive threat, same for Pacioretty who found out again about his long-lost playmaking skill.

Our current rate of victory will probably not last forever, but it's good to see while it lasts.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Habs are doing well overall at the moment. Everything seems to be clicking just about right, at just the right amount. Beaulieu finally came into his own and is benefiting from Gonchar's mentoring. Desharnais is rediscovering himself as a polyvalent offensive threat, same for Pacioretty who found out again about his long-lost playmaking skill.

Our current rate of victory will probably not last forever, but it's good to see while it lasts.

I know you'll find the odd reporter that thinks we still suck, but I think we're gaining some respect in hockey circles outside of Montreal. A perfect road trip is always impressive.

PricePkPatch*

I know you'll find the odd reporter that thinks we still suck, but I think we're gaining some respect in hockey circles outside of Montreal. A perfect road trip is always impressive.

Oh, do not think I meant that I believe that we do not deserve our standing.

In fact, I believe for the first time this year, we actually do deserve it. We had early-season luck; but that luck came from the fact that we had a very solid core that still was trying to work out some clinks.

Our team is coming on together very impressively. Although I do not think a 90% success rate is sustainable, I do believe we will continue on having successes. Hell. With barely a 0.500 record, we'll make the playoffs nice and easy this year.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If the team plays well, he won't be criticized. If it plays poorly he will. Seems like a pretty simple concept.

Read the other quote in my post and then answer me: Aren't you tired of being consistently wrong?

The tragedy seems to be MT's ego and his success...I want the Habs to win, not Therrien...I was a fan of the TEAM before Therrien, and will be once he is fired...not really that hard to grasp...
Go Habs Go!!!

The Habs could win a Cup 5 of the next six years and there will be many who will complian about that sixth year and if that will eventually strike them as unreasonable they'll complain about the fact that it was Therrien who won them.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
If Eller wanted to, he could be one the best, if not the best, shutdown forwards in the world.

All he needs to do is accept it!

Pricef*

Go Habs Go!!!

This post is disturbing on so many levels. Blind irrational hate! LOL

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The Habs could win a Cup 5 of the next six years and there will be many who will complian about that sixth year and if that will eventually strike them as unreasonable they'll complain about the fact that it was Therrien who won them.

There are 82 games over 7 months. If you include pre-season and playoffs, you can go as far as discussing hockey from September - June. That's about 10 months of hockey decisions being discussed and argued over.
Over that span, the coach will be taking so many decisions and doing so on a daily basis. It's completely normal that a coach will regularly get criticized.
Compare it to politics if you want. Whatever candidate you have voted for will take decisions that you will be completely against. If the guy in charge wasn't even your guy to begin with, then chances are you'll be less patient.

If we win 5 cups over the next 6 years, then you'd be talking about one of the best team of all time. It's one thing to criticize day to day decisions, it's another to look at the whole picture.
I don't think there's anybody except the odd person that would look at us winning 5 of the last 6 cups and complain.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Don't get me wrong, PK has talent but it will take a while before he becomes dominant defensively. The guy has been struggling at it all year. Let's cool off on the kool aid.

I really don't know what games you're watching. Struggling? For real?

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I really don't know what games you're watching. Struggling? For real?

Yeah he was when he was paired with Emelin at the begiining of the year. There were few people even able to defend it, however that always goes down the memory hole. Markov makes him better by picking up when subban gets caught. If we paired subban with someone else you would see a shift even if you don't remember him not playing top notch.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah he was when he was paired with Emelin at the begiining of the year. There were few people even able to defend it, however that always goes down the memory hole. Markov makes him better by picking up when subban gets caught. If we paired subban with someone else you would see a shift even if you don't remember him not playing top notch.

I'm sorry, but this is nothing short of a lie.

Subban had all but a very few *bad* games at the beginning of the season. People complained mostly for the same reason they complain now, he's less noticeable and doesn't carry the puck as much as before.

But I can tell you one thing, I've watched his game very closely since the beginning of the season, and the way he's playing right now has been the norm for the most part. Markov isn't the one carrying that pairing. He's more prone to mistakes than Subban, believe it or not.

Before you ask, I specifically paid careful attention to Subban's overall game since the beginning of the season for one very good reason, he gets unfairly criticized by many, even Habs fans.

I'll reiterate what I said earlier, and been saying at the end of most games this season: he's our best defensive defenseman, and our most consistent to boot. Saying he was "bad" when he wasn't playing with Markov isn't true. At all.

Pricef*

He must be your uncle...sorry to hear that...:help:

It's not blind, and irrational...take a look at yourself...;)

So let me get this straight. You where a fan of the Habs BEFORE he was hired and will be again AFTER he is fired. That is what you posted. Sounds like blind irrational hate to me.:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad