GDT: 5/9/15 - 7:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #1 Montréal [ECSF GAME 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think that made a good story for the media, but it's really overblown. Callahan didn't "bring" anyone to Tampa Bay. Money, low taxes, sunshine, and the chance to play on a winning team with a good future had a lot more to do with it than one guy's vote of confidence. Otherwise we'd all be crediting Sami Salo for getting Jason Garrison to waive his no trade clause.

A lot of players need to be better right now. The coach needs to put them in better situations where they're more likely to succeed. But it's completely fair for people to criticize Callahan right now, and heavily, because he hasn't been good enough in this series.

Stamkos gets his face torn off here when he under-performs, and deservedly so. He's our highest paid player. But Callahan's our second highest paid. So when he disappears, he'll catch some well-deserved heat too.

Don't even get me started on our third highest paid.

It sucks, he needs to be better , but stll think people are overraxting. I love this team abd players but sometimes yoou hvave to hope gfor the best, yak now ?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It sucks, he needs to be better , but stll think people are overraxting. I love this team abd players but sometimes yoou hvave to hope gfor the best, yak now ?

We always overreact. It's just Callahan's turn to be in the cross-hairs. We're not winning right now. We're all fearing an embarrassing MTL comeback, and we're looking for issues with how we've played. Callahan's not the only issue, for sure. But neither is Stamkos. And Callahan's play has been an issue. I don't think anyone's unfairly targeting Callahan any more than we're unfairly targeting Stamkos.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We always overreact. It's just Callahan's turn to be in the cross-hairs. We're not winning right now. We're all fearing an embarrassing MTL comeback, and we're looking for issues with how we've played. Callahan's not the only issue, for sure. But neither is Stamkos. And Callahan's play has been an issue. I don't think anyone's unfairly targeting Callahan any more than we're unfairly targeting Stamkos.

He had a great regular season , we expect that to carry over, it did against Detroit, but has gone cold now, and we need it more than ever for him to score.

Some people are just taking lashes at me because of my situation, and I'd be an idiot to say he has been perfect or has been more than fine, because he has not.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Stamkos at least has potted a pair this series, so the scrutiny, in part, will fall elsewhere. Cally's not doing much offensively, and we need everyone in our top 6 to step up.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Stamkos at least has potted a pair this series, so the scrutiny, in part, will fall elsewhere. Cally's not doing much offensively, and we need everyone in our top 6 to step up.

I'll throw Palat under the bus long before Cally based on performance this postseason. Everytime I look up Cally is putting it to Subban or grinding in the boards. Palat not only isn't doing jack offensively but is soft clearing or passing it to the other team more than his. Where in god's name has his physical game gone??

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'll throw Palat under the bus long before Cally based on performance this postseason. Everytime I look up Cally is putting it to Subban or grinding in the boards. Palat not only isn't doing jack offensively but is soft clearing or passing it to the other team more than his. Where in god's name has his physical game gone??

Nah, Palat's had some bad games, and hasn't been up to his regular season standard, but he hasn't been bad over all. Not as good as he was in the regular season, for sure, but not bad. His defensive game is still there and he's made some offensive plays. He's also tied with Callahan for the team lead in hits.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Ultimately, and I'm being honest and measured now, I'm just sour on the whole Jon Cooper thing by now. I'll preface by saying that I know he won't be fired under any circumstance; maybe he shouldn't be, and maybe a better coach for this franchise doesn't currently exist out there, and I'm a reasonable enough person to understand that and not be a blowhard in the face of it.

However, this is now three playoff series' in the NHL that has been a head coach in. This is his second time facing the same team and the same coaching staff, against Montreal. What have I seen in his time behind the bench in playoff situations:

2014 vs. Montreal: Therrien and his staff coached circles around him

ok, fine, first go-around, green team, significant injuries. What-effin'-ever

2015 vs. Detroit: Babcock and his staff coached circles around him

umm...I guess Babcock outdoes most coaching staffs in the league? Flimsy but I'll go with it for the purposes of playing along

2015 vs. Montreal: Therrien and his staff are coaching circles around him

What the hell is the excuse this time? Therrien is dragged through mud across this website, and for good reason, and yet, in Cooper's second time going head-to-head with that much maligned coaching staff, he's once again being completely outdone. If this is the case, then, win or lose this series, it gives me little hope about being able to adjust tactically to future Habs teams coached by Therrien (if there are any), and it also gives me little hope in general because he's been outdone by other coaches as well and if he can't adjust to Therrien's tactics, then who's tactics *can* he adjust to?

I've *****-footed on this issue, sure, but if it sounds like I'm saying that Cooper is the problem, then I guess I'm saying Cooper is the problem. I can't apologize for what my eyes are telling me and what my brain considers to be problematic from both a short-term and long-term perspective. Some head coaches don't match up as well as others in a playoff setting where you can tailor an approach for one specific team in mind. It certainly can't be a personnel issue when Tampa Bay can boss the play in five regular season games, and then Montreal bosses the play in the first five postseason games. The personnel is the same. This smacks of a coaching issue to me, and if this is a persistent issue for this franchise, which at this point it's really starting to look like to me, then that really lowers the ceiling we all have for this core considerably, because these issues won't just go away if you snap your fingers and wish it to go away.

One other point of contention - I'm not calling anyone specifically out here, but in general I do see the notion of "our window not being *really* open yet". Well, ****, was our window supposed to be open in 2004? A team that had only made the playoffs the previous year, in a league that still had virtual all-star teams comprising regular season rosters? Or, if that's a bit too close to home, what about the Crosby/Malkin Penguins, a team that only came together in 2006-'07, and made it to the Cup Final in the following two seasons afterwards? Were we expecting the Penguins window to open up when Sid was only 20-21 and Geno a year or so older than that? More importantly, were we supposed to expect that those two would have won their only Cup in now nearly ten seasons in the league when they were both still under 23 years of age? Windows open unexpectedly. They also close unexpectedly. Furthermore - it's not like a reasonable expectation going into any given season is "win the Cup or bust". The best you can reasonably ask for is a strong contention for the Cup. To me, it would appear that the window for this team opened earlier than expected. EMBRACE THAT. It should mean even more hopeful things. To me, taking the gravy approach is just expecting the worst and hoping to be surprised, and, frankly, that smacks me as a losers mentality. It certainly isn't the road that leads to the most reward. There's also every opportunity that the window for this core will slam shut faster than expected, and then what?

Surely, however, if we are going to take such an approach that I just admonished, then I only request one thing - if we aren't in it "to win it", per se', then please, g-d, get Brenden Morrow the hell off my TV screen during these games, because he sure as hell won't be around if or when this Lightning team does ascend to the next step. His whole "thing" is his veteran experience. Well, ****, how the hell is Jonathan Drouin ever going to get his veteran experience if Brenden Morrow is still around, hogging it, while he takes his nightly penalty and flubs a golden scoring chance in a low scoring game?

--

Apologies for the length. I just took a walk for about an hour and much of this same content was on my mind, so once I started typing, it all just kinda fell into place.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Nah, Palat's had some bad games, and hasn't been up to his regular season standard, but he hasn't been bad over all. Not as good as he was in the regular season, for sure, but not bad. His defensive game is still there and he's made some offensive plays. He's also tied with Callahan for the team lead in hits.

The hits stat is surprising. Palat seems invisible out there to me at times, and when he does stand out it's for the wrong reasons.

Cally just seems to be more prominent in his mixing it up. Not saying that makes up for his offensive tanking. I think I just expected more out of Palat offensively going into the postseason compared to Callahan.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The hits stat is surprising. Palat seems invisible out there to me at times, and when he does stand out it's for the wrong reasons.

Cally just seems to be more prominent in his mixing it up. Not saying that makes up for his offensive tanking. I think I just expected more out of Palat offensively going into the postseason compared to Callahan.

Callahan throws bigger hits. Palat just kind of rubs guys off the puck along the boards. But he finishes checks.

Palat is struggling to find space, I think, same as everyone else, but he doesn't have the quickness of his linemates to jump into holes or blow by guys wide. He's been robbed point blank a few times in this series.

Everything is just so tight now, particularly when TKO is on the ice. Which is why I think it's time to break them up. We'll never be able to make a line as good as TKO again, but Montreal will have a tougher time defending 2-3 good lines than one great line.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Everything is just so tight now, particularly when TKO is on the ice. Which is why I think it's time to break them up. We'll never be able to make a line as good as TKO again, but Montreal will have a tougher time defending 2-3 good lines than one great line.

I think you have to throw TJ and Stamkos together. I've felt that way since I first mentioned possible line changes and still do.

HotPaquette

Apr 7, 2012
Sarasota, Fl
I would go with these lines if we want Johnson and Stamkos together

Palat-johnson-Stamkos
Killorn-filpulla-Callahan
drouin-Paquette-kucherov
morrow-Boyle-brown

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013

How do you let people get to you about Cally. He's been fine, disappeared the past few games but it's whatever. That bum Paquette has been nonexistent for 11 games straight. HF is where people come to overreact. You should try it some time

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
This should be no surprise to anyone.

You could see this coming from a mile away. We have played like **** all playoffs. We were lucky to best Detroit and super lucky to be up 3-0 on Montreal.

All you had to do is watch the games and judge the play. We've sucked ass.

Even up 3-0 I was as unconfident as anyone could be in that position. I knew that if Montreal got ANY momentum we were in trouble.

I hope I'm wrong but this series is over. Someone give me one legitimate reason (other than how unlikely a 3-0 comeback is) that this series is not over?

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This should be no surprise to anyone.

You could see this coming from a mile away. We have played like **** all playoffs. We were lucky to best Detroit and super lucky to be up 3-0 on Montreal.

All you had to do is watch the games and judge the play. We've sucked ass.

Even up 3-0 I was as unconfident as anyone could be in that position. I knew that if Montreal got ANY momentum we were in trouble.

I hope I'm wrong but this series is over. Someone give me one legitimate reason (other than how unlikely a 3-0 comeback is) that this series is not over?

same thing I have been watching all year we are a young team still learning! I think we win the series because we are due a 5 goal game in the next two games. I really think having the two days off might throw montreal off their game a bit.

JS91

May 14, 2014
I don't really care if we let them get to game 7 as long as we win. However, if we pull a San Jose level chokejob...

The best situation would be to just finish this at home. If we drop game 6 it will be really tough to finish this in Montreal with their fans finally going and everything. We've been pretty bad but we still have one T. Johnson who has shown in the past that he can pull off some pretty clutch stuff. If there is ever a moment we need him, it's on Tuesday.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I don't really care if we let them get to game 7 as long as we win. However, if we pull a San Jose level chokejob...

The best situation would be to just finish this at home. If we drop game 6 it will be really tough to finish this in Montreal with their fans finally going and everything. We've been pretty bad but we still have one T. Johnson who has shown in the past that he can pull off some pretty clutch stuff. If there is ever a moment we need him, it's on Tuesday.

the lightning are so up and down it would not shock me if they won in game 7 when everyone says it's over after tuesday.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Guys, let's be reality.

This team got too confortable, it's not the first time and it will not be the last one. Happened all RS season long losing against the Buffalo's and Edmonton's of the league.

We are up 3-2 and going back to Tampa.
I expect a huge game from us (just like when we were down 3-2 in Detroit) and win game 6 at home.

I understand your negativity but really, the series against Detroit looked much worse than this.

ffenliv

Jan 2, 2009
As a Habs fan, I watched a lot of threats to slit wrists, and prognostications that the team was doomed after losing game 5 against Ottawa. The reality is, teams good enough to win three straight, are almost always good enough to get one of the next four. It might not say pretty things about the team if that's how a near-sweep ends up, 'just getting one of four', but in the end, ya'll are probably going to advance.

And I'll be watching. Tampa is a very hard team to dislike (from the outside anyway, saw a fair amount of dislike for your own players floatin' around in here!). Johnson is fun to watch, so is Stamkos, and that lovable beast you have in net.

Frankly, a Tampa/Washington series feels like a pretty good consolation for my own team probably losing out in the second round.

So don't fret, I'm as certain as I ever am that your boys have this one almost all sewn up, they're just looking for the needle they dropped somewhere.

Enjoy the ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad