Post-Game Talk: 5.5.13| Penguins Topple Islanders in Overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Third period, one goal lead, Eaton needs to block that Tavares shot, and if JT fakes and goes around well at least Fleury can see the puck.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The fact that nobody ever calls out Milbury for his own past as a goon, (and, you know, beating a fan with a shoe during a game) when he *****es about clean playing shows you how worthless hockey writers are.

But hey, it sells, I guess.

People always talk about the shoe with Milbury and think it is kind of a sign how tough he was. That he beat a fan down so bad he whipped off his shoe and clubbed him! Omgodztuffeddkeshorez!

The reality is his teammate beat down the fan and tough guy Milbury came in AFTER the fan was being beat down and ripped off his shoe and beat him with it.

Of course, he topped that cowardice by beating up a 12 year old.

Why do people take that clown seriously?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And that isn't even taking into account what an absolute disaster zone he turned a once-proud franchise into, as GM. Something they have only recently started to rebound from.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
People always talk about the shoe with Milbury and think it is kind of a sign how tough he was. That he beat a fan down so bad he whipped off his shoe and clubbed him! Omgodztuffeddkeshorez!

The reality is his teammate beat down the fan and tough guy Milbury came in AFTER the fan was being beat down and ripped off his shoe and beat him with it.

That and the fact that he ruined the Isles for how many years? Horrible GM, horrible human.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That and the fact that he ruined the Isles for how many years? Horrible GM, horrible human.

The 12 year old he beat up probably could of run the franchise better.... Even if he traded Luongo for some X-box games and candy.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Milbury is a moron. The most mind boggling thing to me is that a league/network that ostensibly wants to grow the sport of hockey in the US continues to employ "experts" like Milbury, Jones, Roenick, etc. That group of clown****ers makes Pierre McGuire look like a genius.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
Milbury is a moron. The most mind boggling thing to me is that a league/network that ostensibly wants to grow the sport of hockey in the US continues to employ "experts" like Milbury, Jones, Roenick, etc. That group of clown****ers makes Pierre McGuire look like a genius.

Pierre is a little creepy and overzealous, but he's very knowledgeable about hockey and is far from boring. I don't understand why people hate him so much.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Pierre is a little creepy and overzealous, but he's very knowledgeable about hockey and is far from boring. I don't understand why people hate him so much.

and he knows every team that every player ever played on, who coached those teams and who else played on those teams. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him reel off how much Crosby weighed when he was born.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
and he knows every team that every player ever played on, who coached those teams and who else played on those teams. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him reel off how much Crosby weighed when he was born.

Don't forget who won the pillow fight at the WJC...

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Some positives here:

1. with a bullet... we are up 2-1. winning is the bottom line
2. None of the problems are talent based. they do have an edge on speed, but ultimately not on skill. no team left will have as much speed as the isle currently do. All of our issues are system and effort based and all can be corrected by playing as we did during most of the last two months of the season.
3. Bennet has done better than most rookies for his first playoffs. he will be a keeper, and likely get better with experiance.
4. Neal and Orpik will eventually be back.
5. The offense, as scary as it has been, can be vastly better at 5 on 5. there are still some chemistry and comfort issues to work through.
6. Getting tested early is a good way to pull a team together. Its better than cruising while playing subpar hockey then getting body slammed in the second round by a tested opponant
7. Despres had some really good shifts in the third. Yes he was a -2 on 9 shifts, and caused a goal, but he still is a very promising defenseman and might be more of a contributer if he wasnt scratched for weeks at a time. If he is allowed to get any sort of experiance, he can add physicality and skill to the lineup for years to come.
8. for all the Isles love they got the last two games, they are still a few bounces off the board not going in their favor from being down 3-0.
9. Crosby is the best player on the ice... in the whole NHL.... and he is on this team.
10. Malkin cant shoot, has little chemistry with his linemates, but is still leading the league in points.
11. Sutter is slumping. if he can get going we will have a very dangerous third line.
12. The physical insanity the Isles have been bringing lately is beginning to cost them in penalties and PPgoals. They have done well for an inexperianced team, but still dont know when to toe the line and when to pull back... for all the hype they are getting, they only have 10 more hits than the Pens this series.
13. The ises still have to beat us 3 out of 4 games. only once this season have the pens lost 3 out of four games... and they havent lost 4 out of seven at any point this season. 14. Even when they have played bad hockey for a three or four game stretch, they have turned it around with a solid defensive game that typically has lasted for some time. We can all agree that if they can get back to solid defense, there is more than enough offense to spare on this team to win a lot of playoff games.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Pierre is definitely a little too anxious to share his praise sometimes / a little too hyper, but at this point it's pretty tough to question his knolwedge of prospects, players and their game / strengths and weaknesses. And he's obviously got some Penguin connections so for us (anyway), at the draft and deadline, he's a useful guy to listen to. Especially compared to clueless Pittsburgh beat reporters who have no inside knowledge of anything.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

Way to go Jiggy. I'm probably older than most of you guys, and I can tell you without hesitating that he was one of the biggest pusses of his era. To this day Chris Nilan still calls him Mary Milbury.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I like McGuire. The only thing that bothers me, aside from the creepiness, is him saying "X is doing Y, he really is". He says "he really is" over and over again.

ds246pit

Dec 21, 2006
+ Jussi Jokinen got more icetime. He seemed steady on every shift and created a few chances.

I think once healthy this team should have the below lines for the postseason

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis (What Sid wants, Sid gets)
Bennett-Malkin-Neal (Malkin and Neal just gel)
Morrow-Jokinen-Iginla (Anyone else notice how the chemistry on the few shifts Jokinen was with Iginla)
Cooke-Sutter-Adams (Good shut-down, matchup line)

Eaton-Letang
Orpik-Martin
Murray-Niskanen

Iginla is too talented to be on line 3 but he gels better with Jokinen than Malkin and Sid wants his buddies on his line. There are enough minutes to go around and really rotate all 4 lines. Personally i'd rather have someone like Vitale in for energy instead of Adams but DB will never sit him in the postseason.

Orpik, although crappy this year, will settle down the defense a bit. He has a better breakout pass than Engo and has a bit more speed as well. He is more physical than Despres and it gives Martin a bit more leeway to make the breakout passes.

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm confused,

Is the sky falling or are we in a great position being up 2-1 and having not played our best hockey in the past 2 games.

I need to get on the correct side of this before people point and laugh at me for being on the wrong side :(

BTW liked the mega post.........It was a little scary at first but I read it all and am a better hockey fan for having read it :)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Pierre's great, he loves hockey so much and his level of creepiness is hilarious.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
they're definitely lucky to be up 2-1, but if they don't turn it around they're going to struggle to win 2 of the next 5. They need to put on the brakes and slow down the Islanders tomorrow.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I like McGuire. The only thing that bothers me, aside from the creepiness, is him saying "X is doing Y, he really is". He says "he really is" over and over again.

He also likes to throw around "leadership" and "he gets it" too much for my liking.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
I thought there was a period of time in the action where we slowed the game down, possessed the puck, penetrated their zone, and limit their chances, namely in the second. The pens need to stick with that simplified game plan. The immediate "going north" philosophy seems to fall right into the Isles hands and they play "track-meet" better than any team in the league.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Regarding the speed issue...

The fourth line has abysmal speed. They are simply too slow to retrieve pucks and bear down on the blueliners. JJ is slow.. Adams is a glacier... Glass is useless. How DB thinks this isn't a problem mystifies me.

So this is exactly where my problem with DB comes in. I dislike his line matching and the way he utilizes his fourth line. It absolutely boggles my mind that Glass is playing over Vitale when his speed and tenacity is so desperately needed. He has proven time and again that he can cause havoc, score big goals/set them up, grate on the other team, get in the goalie's kitchen and hit.

Then you have Glass... Why bother to break it down when everyone can see it but DB. We can all see it... It's so frustrating to watch Glass... He is borderline useless and took a selfish penalty that would get BB or Vitale (if he ever played) benched.

This is the one situation that is really, REALLY bothering me.

If people are still foolish enough to think the fourth line doesn't matter, just watch the Caps-Rags game from the other night. The Caps fourth line had a great shift in OT, drew a penalty and Green ended it on the PP.

When that unit is out together for the Pens, they accomplish zilch.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I thought there was a period of time in the action where we slowed the game down, possessed the puck, penetrated their zone, and limit their chances, namely in the second. The pens need to stick with that simplified game plan. The immediate "going north" philosophy seems to fall right into the Isles hands and they play "track-meet" better than any team in the league.

Yes, there were a couple of plays where I was praising the Pens’ d for holding onto the puck and constantly regrouping in our own zone. I think it was Martin.

It was reminiscient of when Pronger refused to skate the puck up against Tampa a few years ago. Martin kept circling back when he realized there was little pressure and a clogged neutral zone to force a pass through.

The problem is every time he circled back Geno had to restart his horses, and that has a lot to do with defensemen feeling pressured to get the puck moving north. It was like almost like Martin was telling Malkin, “No, come back HERE no and we’ll try it together!”

When that unit is out together for the Pens, they accomplish zilch.

Seems easy, right? But you know it's going to be Bennett removed from the lineup, not Glass.

Canbacon

Mar 29, 2013
Calgary
Iginla contributing, but looking old and slow. Chemistry with Malkin clearly not there. Have strong doubts that Pens will offer him a contract off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad