Post-Game Talk: 5-4 ot win--the year of the one goal games

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I think the only reason Nurse is being "bashed" on the main board was due to the claim from an Oilers fan that Nurse will be the best from his draft, which deserves a little mockery.

Actually, that post from an Oiler fan was in response to the post saying that drafting Nurse was a huge mistake.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Oilers are still far from being a playoff lock team, but I can finally say that I am proud of the way that they are playing. Forgot how that felt during the entire Eakins era.

I'm ashamed to admit that I almost forgot what Nuge and Eberle can bring when put in a postion to succeed. The last month of hockey is the best that either of them have played in their careers. Nuge and Eberle are worth paying to see right now. Hall took a little while to get going tonight, but he looked in top form in the 3rd once he got going. Yak was also good as always lately. It hasn't been common when all 4 of those players have been healthy and playing good at the same time. Tonight I felt that there were glimpses of that.

Nelson is the best thing that has happened to this team in the last couple years.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Long overdue but the Oilers are actually fun to watch again thanks to Todd Nelson. Unless Babcock comes here for some reason, I'll be extremely pissed if Nelson isn't brought back. I didn't catch the entire game but saw the highlights and loved that he threw three forwards out in OT. Play to win, not to not lose.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be honest I don't really even mind being a balls to the wall offensive team. I mean that's the bill of goods we were sold with this rebuild, it's nice to finally see some signs of it.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
To be honest I don't really even mind being a balls to the wall offensive team. I mean that's the bill of goods we were sold with this rebuild, it's nice to finally see some signs of it.

Yeah, that's been one of the bigger disappointments for me regarding our roster. We're supposed to be this young hotshot run and gun team... But we have never been all that great at scoring goals consistently. Nice to see that we're finally figuring that part out it seems. Hopefully it continues into next season.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Loved the offense. RNH and Eberle were dangerous all game. D zone coverage leaves a lot to be desired. Scrivens made a lot of huge saves to allow the Oilers to win. The first goal wasn't great but it was Giroux in the slot. A decent blueline in front of Scrivens would be fine in my eyes.

Dansin

Feb 6, 2008
Edmonton
Why are they talking about Calgary when their game ended like 6 hours ago?

Because it's the old garbage CBC crew. Man I wish TSN got the hockey contract, I hate this sportsnet/CBC coverage. Let's have a bunch of ex backup goalies and ex 4th liners who got punched in the head 1 to many times to do in game analysis. And to top it off we'll have a former MTV hipster as the show anchor.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Because it's the old garbage CBC crew. Man I wish TSN got the hockey contract, I hate this sportsnet/CBC coverage. Let's have a bunch of ex backup goalies and ex 4th liners who got punched in the head 1 to many times to do in game analysis. And to top it off we'll have a former MTV hipster as the show anchor.

TSN has far superior production values, but TSN is filled with ***holes, and a horribly declining panel.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
TSN has far superior production values, but TSN is filled with ***holes, and a horribly declining panel.

their bias for the leafs is the only thing I dislike about their coverage along with employing guys like Aaron Ward. The guy blocked me for calling him a joke without his @ involved. Funny how he searches up his own name.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Except its rarely going to result in W's in the WC. Right now Eberle, RNH are padding their pts, which is fine for their confidence provided they carry it into next season. But this team has been playing abysmal defensive hockey the last few weeks.

As illustration last night Eberle is behind the Flyers net and intentionally flips the puck into the slot. Except the low percentage pass (I don't even know what he was thinking there) hops to the blueline and is picked up by the Flyers who get a breakaway. This occurring in 4 on 4 play. Only a spectacular save by Scrivens keeps the game from being over.

That pass can't ever be made in that situation on a 4 on 4. Its the type of thing this club still does so routiney that if I was goalie on this club I would break 3 sticks a game in disgust at how many times the team abandons me.

Last night was a fun game, I get that. But its a game that beats good teams almost never.

Last edited:

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Except its rarely going to result in W's in the WC. Right now Eberle, RNH are padding their pts, which is fine for their confidence provided they carry it into next season. But this team has been playing abysmal defensive hockey the last few weeks.

As illustration last night Eberle is behind the Flyers net and intentionally flips the puck into the crease. Except the low percentage pass (I don't even know what he was thinking there) hops to the blueline and is picked up by the Flyers who get a breakaway. This occurring in 4 on 4 play. Only a spectacular save by Scrivens keeps the game from being over.

That pass can't ever be made in that situation on a 4 on 4. Its the type of thing this club still does so routiney that if I was goalie on this club I would break 3 sticks a game in disgust at how many times the team abandons me.

Last night was a fun game, I get that. But its a game that beats good teams almost never.

Totally agreed. They were very lucky to come away with a win. A top team would have destroyed the Oilers last night.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

As illustration last night Eberle is behind the Flyers net and intentionally flips the puck into the crease. Except the low percentage pass (I don't even know what he was thinking there) hops to the blueline and is picked up by the Flyers who get a breakaway. This occurring in 4 on 4 play. Only a spectacular save by Scrivens keeps the game from being over.

After the last 2 years where watching an Oilers game would having you contemplating suicide half the time .... I'll take it.

At least now we look like we have some kind of forming identity ... a team that scores in bunches with a strong powerplay.

Before we just sucked at everything.

Under Eakins the team also would've just collapsed after allowing 3 straight 1st period goals vs. the Flyers and called it a night. There's much more push back under Nelson.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
After the last 2 years where watching an Oilers game would having you contemplating suicide half the time .... I'll take it.

At least now we look like we have some kind of forming identity ... a team that scores in bunches with a strong powerplay.

Before we just sucked at everything.

Under Eakins the team also would've just collapsed after allowing 3 straight 1st period goals vs. the Flyers and called it a night. There's much more push back under Nelson.

I feel your pain of course. But when we have RNH coming on HNIC postgame talking about how much better the team is because we know we can give up a few goals and come from behind now because we can score goals I'm all kinds of worried that the kids haven't learned a thing.

Right now they're learning how not to play a WC game and thankfully it was an EC contest against a weak opponent. Witn nothing on the line for that opponent.

Heres the worry. The Oilers are kings of playing meaningless games because they're so used to playing them. When other teams are eliminated from the playoffs they are actually forlorn and distraught and no longer playing very well. So we fill the net with pucks at that specific time. The same Oiler team will have several games next year where they can't buy a goal, like they always do when competition is more intense.

These games right now could easily be illusions.

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009
Being able to come back in a game is a great chacterstic for a team. Especially since we've been watching 9 years of rolling over and dying after going down.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Being able to come back in a game is a great chacterstic for a team. Especially since we've been watching 9 years of rolling over and dying after going down.

Its better than laying down and dying. It isn't a recipe for consistently winning games in the WC the Calgary Flames notwithstanding..

We have 5 W's this season against WC opponents. WE play in the WC. That is absolute failure.

To put in perspective how bad our WC record is the Buffalo SAbres have more W's against WC opponents. While playing half the games.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Its better than laying down and dying. It isn't a recipe for consistently winning games in the WC the Calgary Flames notwithstanding..

We have 5 W's this season against WC opponents. WE play in the WC. That is absolute failure.

To put in perspective how bad our WC record is the Buffalo SAbres have more W's against WC opponents. While playing half the games.
I guess that means they're not one of the teams Lowe said wanted to trade their roster for ours. :D

Jmask83

Oct 3, 2009

Yes and I highly doubt RNH meant that its a recipe for success. Its just something that show character. Of course it would be best to dominate the game.

Anyway I'm not sure what to say about this year's team. One period they look like world beaters and the next they look like the worst team in the league. In the same game.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The boys believe they can come back in games even when they are down a goal or two. I don't believe it means that they now believe they can now do whatever they want.

Improve the defense and this team is miles and miles better. Until then I don't believe Babcock could get more out of this roster.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Totally agreed. They were very lucky to come away with a win. A top team would have destroyed the Oilers last night.

I agree that the team played very disjointed last night. The powerplay was bad and Hall was all over the place. The ice was extremely bad, which only added to the chaos, and of course both teams are very similar in that we have strong offense but weak D, and so of course it would be all about trading chances as well as screw ups, only amplified.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
The boys believe they can come back in games even when they are down a goal or two. I don't believe it means that they now believe they can now do whatever they want.

Improve the defense and this team is miles and miles better. Until then I don't believe Babcock could get more out of this roster.

Defense is the biggest anchor on the team right now. Some people may argue goaltending, while yes it needs improving, having better/smarter D does wonders for a goalie.

The energy the team has is rather infectious, Nelson better be back, he's given this team a heart beat now

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's not only the 6 dmen though... the forwards collectively still aren't a decent group defensively. I know we all like to beat down Ference, Nikitin, Schultz and the rest of the D along with Scrivens when he lets in his softies but the 12 forwards share a large part of the blame as well.

The team collectively isn't gritty or solid enough away from the puck which still leads to more quality chances against than they should be giving up... then of course that defensive weakness exposes the issues with the dmen and the goalies being mediocre... it's a snowball effect and the reason the team gives up on average ~1 more goal per game than they score.

That's a hell of a hole to dig out of when the team obviously needs to be closer to even in goal differential in order to have a shot at a wild card spot someday.

It really does feel like 1 step forward and 2 steps back with this team.

Better coaching. Better offense.

Now the team defense/goaltending has to make progress which is very slow to take shape because that really does require the entire roster to gel and collectively buy in which I think the team can do... but it will take a hell of a lot of work by the looks of their disjointed play out there.

Even if this team improves in that area I don't think they are ever going to be a consistent 2-1 type team... they are going to have to win more than their share of 4-3 and 5-4 type games because the way they are set up they will never be elite or likely even above average defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad