Post-Game Talk: 5-4 ot win--the year of the one goal games

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Have to admit, that was a fun game to watch. Reminds me of the 80's team, all offense, and gives no damn about defense.
I wonder if Hall and Lander will be joined by Yak soon as a new 2nd line. I like Roy, but his lack of face off ability and weak defensively really shows.

They (Roy line) were matched up against the Giroux line a lot, and it showed. I can't believe Roy is that weak on the dot, being a veteran and all.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
He took everything away from the table, donuts, ping pong balls, etc. He brought zero to the table.

He controlled their diet; he wanted them to give up their summers. He used the shootout as a reward system and not an opportunity to win a game.

the guy was a little tyrant, and I believe he's had his fifteen minutes.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Wow. Can't say I'm surprised that a thread on the mainboard about Nuge, and Eberle playing well is filled with people claiming it doesn't matter because it's late in the year, people ******** on the team for getting high picks, and laughing at Oiler players not mentioned in the OP.

****ing mainboards. :shakehead

Edit: At least the post ******** on the team for high picks, and giving us the gears about McDavid was deleted.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Ah, if. The buzz word for 9 years and the most dangerous word in English.

Consider me highly skeptical.

Haha, I don't disagree with you. I just want to remind people what Hall is capable of when on top of his game, because it seems that a lot people have forgotten already.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Wow. Can't say I'm surprised that a thread on the mainboard about Nuge, and Eberle playing well is filled with people claiming it doesn't matter because it's late in the year, people ******** on the team for getting high picks, and laughing at Oiler players not mentioned in the OP.

Not to mention someone calling Taylor Hall an "anchor" lmao

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

if it was about any other fanbase/player, it would be praised.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Not to mention someone calling Taylor Hall an "anchor" lmao

Yup. Also Nurse is getting bashed too. :rolleyes:

if it was about any other fanbase/player, it would be praised.

Any other good young player wouldn't be held to that stupid standard. When Tavares was ripping it up when the Islanders were in the basement I'm sure no one gave a flying **** that it was when the playoffs were out of reach.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I disagree with those that think Hall and Yak don't make good linemates. I think they would give teams fits trying to control both Yak and Hall on a line together. When they are "on" and playing well that is.

Hall has speed and drives offense and Yak has a super shot when he can get it off... give those two a solid creative 2 way centre and I think that would be an excellent #2 line.

Hopefully Draisaitl develops into that because with his size and smarts... playing with Hall and Yak could be a deadly line.

In the interim Roy is ok... but not really ideal because he's not as solid defensively or big enough imo to play #2C longer term... but as a transitional player... he'll do.

Lander hopefully continues to produce and develop in a 3rd line role... and hopefully Yakimov can also be an option up the middle.

Hall-Yakimov-Yakupov could be a decent future trio as well.

Any solid line needs a combo of speed, size, shooting and solid defensive skill... and optimistically we hopefully have that in the pipeline.

The 1st line has that to a degree already with Pouliot-RNH-Eberle... now just to make 2 more lines similar to that plus add about 3 more decent dmen... and a couple goalies... and we're golden. :)

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yup. Also Nurse is getting bashed too. :rolleyes:

Any other good young player wouldn't be held to that stupid standard. When Tavares was ripping it up when the Islanders were in the basement I'm sure no one gave a flying **** that it was when the playoffs were out of reach.

its just one sided crap. Yak bash fest months ago? All fine! Thread of Eberle and RNH playing well? Still bashing. You can never keep the mainboard fans happy. Its like they're scared of oilers being successful.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Edit: At least the post ******** on the team for high picks, and giving us the gears about McDavid was deleted.

If the Oilers win the draft and draft first overall? Stay away from the main boards

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If the Oilers win the draft and draft first overall? Stay away from the main boards

I bet it would go like this :
Oh great, now they will ruin McDavid.
THEY DON'T DESERVE IT!
Buffalo and Arizona deserve it more.
CONSPIRACY!
The oilers do not deserve another top pick!
McDavid's a bust. Eichel's better now!
Eichel > McDavid AINEC!
McDavid should pull off a Lindros!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
BBO, your avatar bet is looking more promising every game RNH plays. Great to see him emerge as a #1 center in terms of point production as of late.

I also have another one that he'd outscore Landeskog by 10 points so at best I'll be 1-1 unless RNH keeps up his tear and Landeskog starts to slow way down.

RNH is currently 4 points up on Landeskog having played 1 less game. It's possible but not likely unless RNH keeps rolling and Landeskog slows down.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Are you kidding? We win the lottery and draft first overall I'm making the following post:

Title : BAHAHAHAHA

Body:

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSUCKITFANSOFOTHERTEAMSAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHYOURTEARSAREDELICIOUSANDSUSTAINMEBAHAHAHAHAH
And so on. No other fanbase has suffered like we have suffered.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Are you kidding? We win the lottery and draft first overall I'm making the following post:

Body:

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSUCKITFANSOFOTHERTEAMSAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHYOURTEARSAREDELICIOUSANDSUSTAINMEBAHAHAHAHAH

If you turn it into a thread. I will post in it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Body:

when was the last time the leafs were in the cup final?--Before I was born and I am old

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I think the only reason Nurse is being "bashed" on the main board was due to the claim from an Oilers fan that Nurse will be the best from his draft, which deserves a little mockery.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think the only reason Nurse is being "bashed" on the main board was due to the claim from an Oilers fan that Nurse will be the best from his draft, which deserves a little mockery.

I don't think it does, no. I think the poster meant to word it as 'best defenceman from his draft year', and I don't think that's totally crazy.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I disagree with those that think Hall and Yak don't make good linemates. I think they would give teams fits trying to control both Yak and Hall on a line together. When they are "on" and playing well that is.

Hall has speed and drives offense and Yak has a super shot when he can get it off... give those two a solid creative 2 way centre and I think that would be an excellent #2 line.

Hopefully Draisaitl develops into that because with his size and smarts... playing with Hall and Yak could be a deadly line.

In the interim Roy is ok... but not really ideal because he's not as solid defensively or big enough imo to play #2C longer term... but as a transitional player... he'll do.

Lander hopefully continues to produce and develop in a 3rd line role... and hopefully Yakimov can also be an option up the middle.

Hall-Yakimov-Yakupov could be a decent future trio as well.

Any solid line needs a combo of speed, size, shooting and solid defensive skill... and optimistically we hopefully have that in the pipeline.

The 1st line has that to a degree already with Pouliot-RNH-Eberle... now just to make 2 more lines similar to that plus add about 3 more decent dmen... and a couple goalies... and we're golden. :)

We've seen hall and yak on the same line before having great potential. Definitely a good possibility for a dynamite combo. Still though, if Hall plays as rusty as he did tonight he'll be the one holding Yak back if they fail.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
he did bring up a huge chop wood ; carry water sign though. WTF does that mean? To this day, I still don't know. Maybe I should go chop some wood and carry water to understand
I never actually heard it explained either.
As someone with a bit of experience in bush survival, this is what I guess it means: the things critical to your survival are wood (fire) and water.
So before doing anything else one usually makes sure that s/he has wood and water stocked enough for a few days.
Chopping wood and carrying water are boring routine tasks that need to be done to preserve your life under cases of emergency.
I'm guessing in Eakins world the mundane exercises are the equivalent of chopping wood and carrying water. If you do enough situps, stairs, ride the bike long enough etc you will build up a reserve to carry you through, like the wood and water you stocked will carry you through an emergency in the bush.

I think its a fine analogy for some things, I'm just not sure it applies to pro hockey.

Good game tonight. Eberle is such a fantastic hockey player. When he is on, he is the best player on this team ainec. And people on this board wanted to deal him away. :shakehead

And please for the sake of all this board has endured this season can we not have any Richard Simmons avatars? Just please ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad