Post-Game Talk: 5-4 Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
its crazy to me to think that there are people who claim to be hockey fans who can't figure this basic math out.... if you are getting .867 save% you will lose 75% of your games, if you are getting .950 save%, you are going to win 75% (or more) of your games

this isn't rocket science people

Its also not rocket science to understand that a .950 sv% isn't sustainable.

Also...anybody who thinks the difference between Colorado and Edmonton is just goaltending is a fool.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Mike Smith was facing the Oilers. Easy day on most outings. Our goalies have to face teams that actually have some setplays and play as a team to orchestrate scoring opportunities.

The big players on this club aren't scoring, aren't getting it done. Can't be overlooked either.

Perron was the best forward once again and rang one off a goal post and scored another. Depth scoring was there, but none of the stars putting it in.

When Boyd Gordon is your leading scorer you got problems with finish..

Yes they have problems with finish, but when you score 4 goals you should win the game.

This is almost like a carbon copy of the Winnipeg game. The goalie couldn't make a save when his team needed it most.

Never mind LaBarbera throwing a hissy fit going off the ice.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Tonight? Goaltending and PK killed them.

Goaltending and PK has killed them all year.

Statistically, the opposing team is guaranteed a PP goal against us this year. They score once every four opportunities.

How ****ed is that?

I'm starting to think that I was wrong about Ralph Krueger's methods.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Statistically, the opposing team is guaranteed a PP goal against us this year. They score once every four opportunities.

How ****ed is that?

Wouldn't it be nice to bring him back as an assistant coach. I always liked his specials teams. Too bad obviously he isn't going to be back.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Also...anybody who thinks the difference between Colorado and Edmonton is just goaltending is a fool.

Anyone who doesn't think that it's the BIGGEST difference is a fool.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
wow, just looked and we are first in the league for 5v5 shooting% at 10.5%, but are last in the league for save% at .887.... crazy

replacement - this team does not have "finish problems", and the stats back it up... we have goaltending problems, and again the facts back this up

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

It's a large part of it. The Avalanche got absolutely dominated against Pittsburgh and only won because Giguere put on an all-world performance.

The Avs had fourteen shots in that game. They're giving up 33.4 per game, 25th in the league. The Oilers on the other hand are only giving up 30 a game, good for 13th in the league.

At some point goaltending has to do it's damn job.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

It is a huge difference. They go into Boston, Washington, and Pittsburgh and only give up 1 goal while giving up an average of 38 shots against in those games. Go look at their D....wouldn't say that's a top 10 d-corps in the league.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

How ****ed is that?

You can add the PK, PP, lack of defensive structure, and an inexplicable absence of effective line matching to the goaltending.

Kruger must be having a major chuckle watching this mess.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

How ****ed is that?

It's not methods, it's personnel.

Generally bad penalty killing forwards outside of Gordon combined with that old cliche about your best PKer having to be your goalie.

Does having Krueger behind the bench tonight somehow keep LaBarbera from being inept at fighting through a screen that every other goalie in the league has to deal with?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yes they have problems with finish, but when you score 4 goals you should win the game.

This is almost like a carbon copy of the Winnipeg game. The goalie couldn't make a save when his team needed it most.

Never mind LaBarbera throwing a hissy fit going off the ice.

I don't recall any GA today being nearly as bad as the bloopers Dubs was giving up earlier in the year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's not methods, it's personnel.

Generally bad penalty killing forwards outside of Gordon combined with that old cliche about your best PKer having to be your goalie.

The PK was actually pretty good until the 2 PPGs, both stoppable shots by LaBarbera.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
except that it MOSTLY IS just goaltending, 90% of it anyhow (if not higher)

Disagree.
Colorado plays a more difficult scheme to play against than the Oilers.

The team is not nearly as soft either.

I dont expect Colorado to continue at this pace by any means but that team was built much better than this team. Much better balanced team.

The Oilers are a very easy team to play against.
Thats why Eller made the comments he did.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't recall any GA today being nearly as bad as the bloopers Dubs was giving up earlier in the year.

You're right, but Dubnyk hasn't given up any of those in the past 3 games he played. He was good enough to win against Montreal (with maybe one goal being stoppable), he was fantastic against Ottawa, and he was decent against the Caps.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I would have just played Dubnyk back to back. They need wins now and he's been pretty good in the last few starts so why not let him go with it.

This start is a disaster, you would think MacT is trying to figure something to change the tides.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
No defence of this team is worthy.

Both literally and figuratively. The defence sucked up the joint, and there should be no excuse. Also, The Beara Beara was awful. Also, I mean, we're offensively gifted but what the **** are we going to do, score 8 goals a game to win?!?

Do something, MacT. This is has passed wait-and-see, we're solidly in the ****-tastrophe zone

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Can I believe Dubnyk can play worse than Labarbera? Yeah I can, I've seen multiple instances of it this year.

Dubnyk has been good in his last 4 games, and some who he still gets ragged on when he doesnt play. He has made tons of key saves, this was how he played last year. This team is much better than last year, anybody actually watching closely can see that. They are getting no breaks at all, and the PP and PK suck b@lls for some stupid reason.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Coyotes fan in peace.

Not sure how many people will see this--my god can you guys fill up a thread--but you deserve better. Between your high draft picks and big, loyal fan base, your team should be kicking ass right now. But the last time I read about a front-office decision made by the Oilers organ-eye-zation, not sure of the specifics, but something to do with Craig MacTavish--I actually felt angry about it, even though it did not affect me in the slightest. It seems there are people who have jobs with your club who should not be trusted with a sharp pair of scissors, much less a professional sports team.

Jason LaBarbara is a case in point. Why your front office gave him a contract, I have no idea. Any half-wit Coyote fan could have told you he was not a NHL goalie. The man does good charity work and for that I applaud him, with the greatest sincerity; but I'm also glad that he does it while playing for a different team.

Again, you guys deserve better, and I hope you get it.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Disagree.
Colorado plays a more difficult scheme to play against than the Oilers.

The team is not nearly as soft either.

I dont expect Colorado to continue at this pace by any means but that team was built much better than this team. Much better balanced team.

The Oilers are a very easy team to play against.
Thats why Eller made the comments he did.

well we're not going to agree... the difference between .958 and .867 is 2.73 goals/game (assuming 30 shots against/game, which is league average)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's a large part of it. The Avalanche got absolutely dominated against Pittsburgh and only won because Giguere put on an all-world performance.

The Avs had fourteen shots in that game. They're giving up 33.4 per game, 25th in the league. The Oilers on the other hand are only giving up 30 a game, good for 13th in the league.

At some point goaltending has to do it's damn job.

Since when does 1 game (against Pitts) have and relevancy?

Shots only tell part of the story. Scoring chances matter more and the Oilers give them up in bushels...virtually every game.

They are full value for their 3-8-1 record.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Dubnyk has been good in his last 4 games, and some who he still gets ragged on when he doesnt play. He has made tons of key saves, this was how he played last year. This team is much better than last year, anybody actually watching closely can see that. They are getting no breaks at all, and the PP and PK suck b@lls for some stupid reason.

yeah, i have to really question the hockey knowledge of anybody who doesn't see that this is a better hockey team this year... still not a playoff team, but a LOT better than last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad