Post-Game Talk: 5-4 Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Horcoff to Gordon was a substantial upgrade for this team and it was immediately pissed away by the downgrade from Khabibulin to Labarbara in net. At least Nik could be leaned on to make a key save to hold a damn lead. Labarbara is just awful. It's seriously disappointing.

But the onus is on the entire team.

This is the worst I've seen this team perform in years. We haven't won a game yet in my eyes. At least in previous years there were games where our guys blew teams out. Every team we have played this year has been in the game right down to the final buzzer. I don't think there's an easier team to play against in this league right now.

I can't point any fingers and I'm not going to suggest burning it down. But I'd like to see Andrew Ference do something useful and use that C on his jersey to turn this ship around. Because if he wasn't wearing it, he'd be just as likely to be sitting where Nick Schultz was this afternoon by the way he's played so far.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I don't know why Eakins started Lababera against his former team. He only faced them in practice everyday for the last 4 seasons, so they know best where to shoot on him. Makes me wonder if this was why they were firing wristers from the blueline.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
The one thing that makes me feel better about this is that earlier today my dog had a bit of a scuffle with an actual coyote and in my opinion kicked it's ass.

Did you measure the Corsi? Because simply watching the fight doesn't really give you the full picture of who won or lost.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A collection of talented losers...thats what this team is becoming.

12 games played and the team is 3-8-1...enough said.

I have an idea...lets rebuild this mess and tank on purpose for 4 years so we can get some talented players.
After all thats the only thing required to build a contender. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I blame tonight on Arcobello. Score a goal on the other goalie, you little nerd.

Credit to Mike Smith for actually managing to make a big save when his team needed it despite being awful for the rest of the game. Carbon copy of the Toronto game, where it was also Arcobello getting robbed by a goalie who was otherwise playing like ****.

How many times can the Oilers say that's happened to them this year? That they've been bailed out when they needed it by one of their goaltenders?

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Definitely a hard pill to swallow and obviously getting tired of the losing.

I'm almost done with the team for this season but their are a lot of positives. We've competed hard, can put the puck In the back of the net and finally have a good 3rd and fourth line.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I predict we will win 3 games in November, Florida x2 and 1 against Nashville. End of November we become team free win and teams play only their third and fourth lines against us and still win

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I don't know why Eakins started Lababera against his former team. He only faced them in practice everyday for the last 4 seasons, so they know best where to shoot on him. Makes me wonder if this was why they were firing wristers from the blueline.

Where was the sweet spot that they knew? Was it called "anywhere on net?"

Metamind

Jun 28, 2012
It disgust me how teams like Colorado can get out off the basement , but the oilers just continue to suck

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So err .... Omark up if Pitlick can't go tomorrow? Wonder what they're going to do there.

Doesn't matter as tomorrow is likely a loss either way.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Reid Wilkins ‏@ReidWilkins 2m
Oilers have allowed 48 goals this season. No other team is over 40.

Beyond terrible.

.867 save%, which is (obviously) last in the league by a country mile... the next worse is the rangers at .874 and then calgary at .884.... we actually have the 13th best shots against average in the league coming into this game, and our average went slightly DOWN this game, even though we got scored on 5 times

people like to complain about all sorts of things, but this teams problem is goaltending, goaltending, goaltending and goaltending

the median save% is .909... if we had even league average tending up till now, we would have had roughly 33 goal against, a full 15 goals against less than we do now... or an average of 1.25 goals aaginst less a game

again, i hate to sound like a broken record, but 80%+ of our problems are goaltending related

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
I put this one on the coach. You can't waste good efforts like this, and sugar coat it by saying "we need to be better..." I am really starting to think Eakins is in deep over his head. The only thing that has improved under him is 5x5 scoring. PK and PP is beyond brutal.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
yeah no idea why he didn't keep dubnyk in the game... this loss is as much on eakins as it is on labarbera to be honest... if you can't tell that labarbera didn't have it today, then you shouldn't be in charge of the goalies

In what way would Dubnyk have won this game and how do we know that? Dubs let in 4GA last game and has actually managed a higher GAA.

I'm not convinced either goalie is getting it done tbh but theres no way of knowing whether either goalie gets us the W.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
Blaming this on the refs is a total cop-out.

We didn't bury the chances we needed and we didn't clear out the front of the net or block enough shots.

FAR too many deflections allowed, too many weak goals let in, too many dumb plays on defense.

This is on the players, not the refs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Definitely a hard pill to swallow and obviously getting tired of the losing.

I'm almost done with the team for this season but their are a lot of positives. We've competed hard, can put the puck In the back of the net and finally have a good 3rd and fourth line.

Their goaltending and special teams have cost them a few games this season.

We should have won this game if LaBarbera played average.

Hell Mike Smith was crap and even he managed to make a save when his team needed it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
.867 save%, which is (obviously) last in the league by a country mile... the next worse is the rangers at .874 and then calgary at .884.... we actually have the 13th best shots against average in the league coming into this game, and our average went slightly DOWN this game, even though we got scored on 5 times

people like to complain about all sorts of things, but this teams problem is goaltending, goaltending, goaltending and goaltending

the median save% is .909... if we had even league average tending up till now, we would have had roughly 33 goal against, a full 15 goals against less than we do now... or an average of 1.25 goals aaginst less a game

again, i hate to sound like a broken record, but 80%+ of our problems are goaltending related

It's on Mac T. If they didn't trust Dubnyk, as they clearly didn't after going after Schneider, then at least bring in Bryzgalov to be a 1B rather than Labarbera who's a clear average back-up and nothing more.

We needed someone else who can start and give us 20-30 decent games.

But nooooooo .... everyone in the locker room needs to be a boy scout, can't have any "bad attitudes". Lets not even pursue Seguin while we're at it. Because all these good personalities are winning us so many games.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
So is "Mr. Impatient" going to make a move or is he all talk again? I can't believe he's let this go on for as long as he has.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Another average game by this poorly constructed team that is run by someone who has more arrogance than coaching ability.

I would say it's going to be a long season, but it already feels like it's been a long season after only 12 games.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
I predict we will win 3 games in November, Florida x2 and 1 against Nashville. End of November we become team free win and teams play only their third and fourth lines against us and still win

This is dumb.

Y'know, Lars Eller was 100% right. You just never know which team you're going to get.

In the past, Edmonton was routinely outplayed and out-talented. Now? The past 3 games they've deserved to win-- all of them. They've outplayed the other team. Montreal, they got it done. Washington, they had a few lapses against the top line and it burnt them (and also didn't capitalize on chances). Tonight? Goaltending and PK killed them.

It would be much less frustrating if this was the Oilers of 2-3 years ago which just sucked and didn't belong in most games.

McDeathbyCheerios*

In what way would Dubnyk have won this game and how do we know that? Dubs let in 4GA last game and has actually managed a higher GAA.

I'm not convinced either goalie is getting it done tbh but theres no way of knowing whether either goalie gets us the W.
The difference was last game all but 1 goal were good goals that the team ****ed up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad