Speculation: 5/22/19 Sharks Roster Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Honestly I couldn't see it, cuz I only watch the game, but Donskoi did good for a lot of chances, he's consistency isn't up to par. Let's talk about how the 4th Line is going to look next season, because thats where the answers are.

Yea, the 4th line was pretty terrible. Donskoi basically carried that line when he came back. It's unfortunate that DW couldn't get Fehr back, he would've been perfect this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in teal again sooner than later.

xxx-Fehr-Karlsson would be solid. Preferably not Goodrow on that LW, but this is the Sharks, so he'll be there. Radil would be a better choice.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
For me, No on Fehr (who wears the 16 playing for the sharks) (Devin Setoguchi too! we got him) No on Radil, who fights Aaron Dell? Thats not good. I'd like to see Both Nyquist and Donskoi personally (1 season contract both).

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I don't think we should resign Nyquist. There are comparable forwards we could sign directly from UFA that wouldn't cost us a second rounder.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yea, the 4th line was pretty terrible. Donskoi basically carried that line when he came back. It's unfortunate that DW couldn't get Fehr back, he would've been perfect this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in teal again sooner than later.

xxx-Fehr-Karlsson would be solid. Preferably not Goodrow on that LW, but this is the Sharks, so he'll be there. Radil would be a better choice.
Deboer is so stupidly stubborn about how he wants to construct his team. His 4th lines are always shit because he keeps sending shitty players out there and then talks about how they fill a role the team doesn’t even need.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
For me, No on Fehr (who wears the 16 playing for the sharks) (Devin Setoguchi too! we got him) No on Radil, who fights Aaron Dell? Thats not good. I'd like to see Both Nyquist and Donskoi personally (1 season contract both).

I just think our 4th line needs a serious upgrade. Watching the Bruins' 4th line basically carry the weight for them this Final so far, it's reminding me how important that is.

Haley and Goodrow aren't gonna cut it. Neither is Gambrell.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Deboer is so stupidly stubborn about how he wants to construct his team. His 4th lines are always **** because he keeps sending ****ty players out there and then talks about how they fill a role the team doesn’t even need.

It's such an obsolete way of thinking.

It's almost like all the players on a hockey team should be able to, you know, play hockey.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Perron -True - Donskoi.... Is what im hoping. But what was with Sorenson he didn't do anything much towards the end, kind of lost the 3rd line touch there. Thornton is also coaching up our 3rd line, sometimes I think hes in Labancs ear too much when (hes not Jumbo) but he is also a PP PlayMaker.

Edit: Perron-Goodrow-Donskoi ( I think Goodrow earned a contract sitting out for 10 mins in OT and scoring a moment we all live to remember.
OR.. or...

Goodrowshoots(L)-True-Donskoi
The Truth line.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It's such an obsolete way of thinking.

It's almost like all the players on a hockey team should be able to, you know, play hockey.
Yup, and I wish his thinking would change because the Sharks 4th line would not be effective in any era. Which of course makes his thinking even dumber.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Deboer is so stupidly stubborn about how he wants to construct his team. His 4th lines are always **** because he keeps sending ****ty players out there and then talks about how they fill a role the team doesn’t even need.

The funny thing is, what role? They are not a physical and checking line? They are not even that defensively good with the exception of Melker.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
The funny thing is, what role? They are not a physical and checking line? They are not even that defensively good with the exception of Melker.

Melker and Goodrow can sorta PK. Melker also has some skill, but he needs to be with the right players to click. Goodrow is not one of those players.

Even putting Sorenson on the 4th would be better, but that line still needs an actual center.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Melker and Goodrow can sorta PK. Melker also has some skill, but he needs to be with the right players to click. Goodrow is not one of those players.

Even putting Sorenson on the 4th would be better, but that line still needs an actual center.

It does need a center. Goodrow does not do good in that role and Gambrell was underwhelming to say the least this season. I want to try True there but only time tells if he fits there or not.

I thought Suomela would have had a real chance on that line but I think PDB gave up on him too soon. I was actually surprised he gave Donskoi a chance as W on that line (in the playoffs) simply because he does not fit into that 'mold' of checking and defensive player.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Hmmm so it sounds like we have a spot for the 3rd LW.. Move sorrysun tooo 4th line and thennn… *checks hockey DB* so Cheechoo played Shoots RW on the LW... So 3rd line of
Nyquist(R)-Thornton-LaBanc
4th line
Sorenson(L)-Goodrow(CR)-Donskoi(R).

Also, that gives our 4th line some options since these are our inconsistent players, and gives Melker (if he gets a contract) a chance to fight for a job/healthy scratch and can skate up alongside Thornton so theres a path for him if he works it back.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Hmmm so it sounds like we have a spot for the 3rd LW.. Move sorrysun tooo 4th line and thennn… *checks hockey DB* so Cheechoo played Shoots RW on the LW... So 3rd line of
4th line

You think we have enough talent on our team to play Nyquist and Labanc both on the 3rd line? I don't think so. Even if you re-sign Pavs:

Meier-Hertl-?
Kane-Couture-Pavs

One of Nyquist and Labanc need to be up in the top-6 unless we bring a UFA in. Also, that line has 2 too many playmakers on it. Thornton-Labanc kind of works because Labanc has a good shot but he is more of a playmaking winger. You don't want Nyquist on that line.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
4th line

Also, that gives our 4th line some options since these are our inconsistent players, and gives Melker (if he gets a contract) a chance to fight for a job/healthy scratch and can skate up alongside Thornton so theres a path for him if he works it back.

That Jumbo line only works if Labanc keeps shooting the puck, otherwise there's 3 playmakers on that line.

Sorenson-xxx-Donskoi would be a great line with the right center. I still don't think Goodrow should be an NHL regular.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Exactly the point. He thinks he's building a line with certain aspects, but we can't tell what they are because the line has no identity and common denominator. I actually think the team fell apart when Haley was picked up from an identity standpoint. They had 4 lines working relatively well, but now they were intentionally making one line worse to bring a little "grit" to the team in the form a small forward who lacks the skill to keep the 4th line playing at a decent level. Radil started becoming a regular scratch, Donskoi would eventually become a scratch, and Haley kept right on playing on a 4th line that was useless. Even though he doesn't hit, play any special teams, or do anything remotely useful. Just awful coaching.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
That Jumbo line only works if Labanc keeps shooting the puck, otherwise there's 3 playmakers on that line.

Sorenson-xxx-Donskoi would be a great line with the right center. I still don't think Goodrow should be an NHL regular.
I agree. I also can't understand what he did to make Deboer feel ok with him as the 4th line center. Winning faceoffs isn't the only thing a center needs to do.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
That line was great towards the end soon as they scratched M.Karlsson and put in Donskoi after the bench. So i'd like to see more of that... uhhmm. 4th line.

Kane-Couture-Pavelski
Meier-Hertl-Burns
Labanc-Thornton-Nyquist
Haley-Goodrow-Donskoi
D1. Dillon-Karlsson(pray)
D2. Vlasic-Braun
34. Ryan-Heed

This is the bestbang for its buck for the information we have. {I know Burns is a defenseman but this the only way to solve the depth problem andhave it on our 3rd and 4th with Donskoi hauling scoring chances.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That line was great towards the end soon as they scratched M.Karlsson and put in Donskoi after the bench. So i'd like to see more of that... uhhmm. 4th line.

Kane-Couture-Pavelski
Meier-Hertl-Burns
Labanc-Thornton-Nyquist
Haley-Goodrow-Donskoi
D1. Dillon-Karlsson(pray)
D2. Vlasic-Braun
34. Ryan-Heed

This is the bestbang for its buck for the information we have. {I know Burns is a defenseman but this the only way to solve the depth problem andhave it on our 3rd and 4th with Donskoi hauling scoring chances.

You mean they scratched Haley for Donskoi not Melker for Donskoi?

That 4th line will get wrecked. Haley is a f***ing plug and Goodrow is not a good 4C.

I still find it amusing that people want to see Burns as a F. Dude may win his 2nd Norris in the last few years but people want him playing as a power forward.

Reactions: Pavelski2112

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I still find it amusing that people want to see Burns as a F. Dude may win his 2nd Norris in the last few years but people want him playing as a power forward.

Not only that, but our defense would be a complete and utter trainwreck without him on the backend.

Vlasic-Heed?
Simek-Braun
Dillon-DeSimone? Middleton?

There's literally only one guy who can provide even remote offense, and only Vlasic and Simek are good defensively. It's basically half an AHL D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad