Speculation: 5/22/19 Sharks Roster Discussion 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Buying low isn’t possible if you’re dumpster diving. Lots of comparable trash available out there for free.
If Leafs want to retain 50% and give the Sharks a sweetheart deal on Kadri in the process as part of the deal, I would take Zaitsev to play on the 3rd pairing to go along with Kadri at 3C (assuming Toronto takes Braun or Dillon in return as part of the deal).

Best way for Toronto to move Zaitsev is going to be matching him with a team that wants Kadri. Lose value, but money for Marner is worth more than whatever a Kadri trade will net them.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Zaitsev's contract is absolutely brutal. Hard pass.
Toronto Maple Leafs | Puckpedia
Agreed.

giphy.gif

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I think Heed is going to be signed and slotted into the 3rd pairing. In fact, I think our RD next year will be Burns, Heed, and either Karlsson or Braun. If Karlsson signs, Braun will be a cap casualty. If Karlsson goes, Braun will be our best option at #2 RD because the cost to get an upgrade will be prohibitive. If DW does bring in an upgrade, I bet it’s on the left side.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I knew he was older, but I was mildly surprised when I read Heed and Karlsson are the same age.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Zaitsev's contract is absolutely brutal. Hard pass.
Toronto Maple Leafs | Puckpedia
4.5mil isn't brutal if he can get over the hump on his development. He may have just hit a wall with the Babadook. If the leafs retain at all and throw in a 3rd or 4th round pick (maybe later?) and SJ gives up braun that could be a worth while gamble. Watching his KHL highlights he doesn't look that slow to me. and he has good size and decent hands. Gotta be better than braun at passing and handling the puck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patty Ice

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Leafs aren’t going to retain, I don’t think. If Karlsson doesn’t resign, I would be interested in a package of Marleau + Kadri. Marleau’s cap hit is terrible for sure, but I would be willing to live with it for a season for Kadri at 3c. I like his physical, aggravating style - I think it’s exactly what we need in the West.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Zaitsev is absolutely brutal. Leafs are getting incredibly lucky he wants out.

I don't think him wanting out really changes anything. They were probably looking to move him anyway and were already selling low on him by probably having to pay an asset for a team to take him. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Kadri and Zaitsev trade to a team like Anaheim or Colorado. He also has an upcoming trade clause to be activated on July 1.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I think that's the one benefit of the early legal tampering period. EK65 can get a feel for what he's worth then, if he's still considering the Sharks, circle back and give DW a chance to make the best offer.

But I agree with some here... if EK65 doesn't sign by july 1st I hope DW moves on and tries to land someone else or a lower tier D-man and forward. I don't know the other players well enough but I did like Hayes when I watched him. Size and skating looks desirable to me with some of our smaller skilled wingers. I would love to bring back Nyqvist too if his demands are reasonable. I think with a training camp he could be more effective as a setup guy with Couture and Meier.

I really don't have much interest in signing Nyquist. He just had his best season in a contract year and I don't think he fits the teams needs. I know he had a lot of assists in the playoffs but I always felt he was too soft for Vegas and the Blues. I'd rather save that space for a bigger add. We don't need more 50 point players. We need game changers or d-men. The only way we even have money for Nyquist is if EK65 leaves and if he leaves we have bigger holes to fill than middle 6 forward depth. I expect Nyquist to try and get near 6M and he simply isn't worth that. I would be interested in keeping him under 5M but that just isn't realistic (or fair) considering what he'll get in the open market and that he was already making 4.75M. I'm still happy we made the trade but I don't see the value add in signing him for an extended period of time. I could easily see him drop to a 40 point player on the Sharks.

Reactions: DoubleOT

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Its better than a rookie for 800,000, because that rookie isn't seasoned enough to be consistent. Its called depth, if Others take a pay cut like our stars, theres enough he can get paid 2-3M. Timo Meier doesn't care about the money or where he is in the line up so, I am most interested about his contract, Because then maybe Nyquist can have some. He definetly earned PDBS approval, he didn't get demoted once, even put Pavelski behind him to keep it up. { actually Donskoi did play on the 2nd line in the playoffs and Nyquist was playing on the 4th line like I said! for maybe a game ).

Also, we gave up a 2nd and whatever for Nyquist, thats bargain, lets not waste that trade. Keep him, he can do similar kind of damage like Donskoi did once he was inserted in the line up. But lets not forget there was something between PDB and Donskoi.

Though so thats what the Pre-Season is for, to see if any rookies can outplay the guys for jobs. I did watch roughly 30 cuda games last season and to be frank. True is pretty good, he took points lead from Perron, and I dont think he was on the 1st Center either.

Last edited:

CHALUPA

Oct 9, 2008
Stockton, CA
Its called depth, if Others take a pay cut like our stars, theres enough he can get paid 2-3M. Timo Meier doesn't care about the money or where he is in the line up so, I am most interested about his contract, Because then maybe Nyquist can have some.

NHL is finally becoming like other leagues where the players are coming out and saying that they should be paid what they're worth. If they take a team-friendly deal, that's amazing, but it's not something we should expect them to do. I don't think it's very fair, either.

Also, we gave up a 2nd and whatever for Nyquist, thats bargain, lets not waste that trade. Keep him, he can do similar kind of damage like Donskoi did once he was inserted in the line up. But lets not forget there was something between PDB and Donskoi.

Though so thats what the Pre-Season is for, to see if any rookies can outplay the guys for jobs. I did watch roughly 30 cuda games last season and to be frank. True is pretty good, he took points lead from Perron, and I dont think he was on the 1st Center either.

Sunk Cost Fallacy. Playing him on the 4th line wouldn't justify spending that much money on him. I personally wasn't a huge fan of his play in SJ. I want to see more speed at the point of attack to disrupt plays. While Nyquist was shifty, I don't think he has the skill level to overcome how physical the West is (at least with his current playstyle). With that said, it's not like he's a bad player. I just don't know if he's a good fit for SJ specifically for the money he is going to cost.

If we do end up signing him, I hope that the rest of the roster is willing to play a little heavier. It doesn't need to be everyone which is why i wouldn't be heartbroken if we re-signed Nyquist, but we I think we needed more of it. The biggest problem with Nyquist is that I don't think it's realistic to keep him and other more important players.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Sorry Chalura, but you are mistken, he's a proven NHL player that played with the Detroit Redwings for many seasons, he was good enough to keep our Top RW position, for an entire littlee bit + play offs into the 3rd Round. He's probably worth 3 Barracuda players for one contract season. How can you argue that for 2-3M. Let the Barracuda players round out their game extra too, or fit on the 4th Line.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Its better than a rookie for 800,000, because that rookie isn't seasoned enough to be consistent. Its called depth, if Others take a pay cut like our stars, theres enough he can get paid 2-3M. Timo Meier doesn't care about the money or where he is in the line up so, I am most interested about his contract, Because then maybe Nyquist can have some. He definetly earned PDBS approval, he didn't get demoted once, even put Pavelski behind him to keep it up. { actually Donskoi did play on the 2nd line in the playoffs and Nyquist was playing on the 4th line like I said! for maybe a game ).

I'm a bit confused by your post but I don't see Nyquist taking a 2-3M contract when he was just earning 4.7M and had a career year. I also don't see Meier taking a 2-3M contract considering he had 30 goals and 60 points. I am fully in support of locking Meier up long term at around 6x6. That contract would look better and better each passing year. Having him and Hertl locked up long term for under 12M would be gold. Nyquist is not a 4th liner and I don't care how much depth your team has, he shouldn't be playing there. He is a middle 6 forward. I'm fine with having given up a 2nd round pick for him. He was a welcome addition to the team and did help us at times. I don't think he is really what we needed considering our forward depth but I don't blame DW for trading for him.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I thought Nyquist was good to great after the Vegas series. I'd like him back for the right price. He's arguably a better Donskoi.

I think he was good in the Avs series, and it's no coincidence that series was the least physical. He is better than Donskoi but Donskoi can likely be had at 3Mish whereas Nyquist will probably be in the 5.5-6M range. Would you rather have Donskoi at 3-3.5 or Nyquist at 5.5-6. I'm fine with not bringing either back but I'd take Donskoi.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
DW is the bargain trader, theres always other options, but the truth is..... to fit as much depth within the cap. The only thing I dont like about the way we bring in new players, its never on the 4th line to start.... Ya sure they're talented, but let them start at the bottom and earn it. I'll still take a guy whose loyal, go with what we know.

I haven't done the math, but Id like Nyquist for 1 season 2-3M+ (or 4 depending on how everybody else goes). Let's see if he can actually score.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I think he was good in the Avs series, and it's no coincidence that series was the least physical. He is better than Donskoi but Donskoi can likely be had at 3Mish whereas Nyquist will probably be in the 5.5-6M range. Would you rather have Donskoi at 3-3.5 or Nyquist at 5.5-6. I'm fine with not bringing either back but I'd take Donskoi.

I probably would too, but I don't know how much of that is nostalgia talking. He did just have a career year in points, and of course he came up clutch once again in the Avs series.

I just don't see him coming back after how PDB used or scratched him after the goal drought.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Honestly I couldn't see it, cuz I only watch the game, but Donskoi did good for a lot of chances, he's consistency isn't up to par. Let's talk about how the 4th Line is going to look next season, because thats where the answers are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad