[5-2 WIN] Derek, Reviver Of Yak. Oilers Reach 10 Wins.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Did anyone catch Roy's interview after the game?

Rishaug made me laugh...

Rishaug: "So Derek, where did the offense come from all of a sudden?"

Roy: "Like, my offense?"

Rishaug "yeah"

Roy "I have 500 points in the NHL"

This.

Not sure why people are surprised at all that Roy has been a solid fit. A player of immense skill, poise, ability was playing a bit roll on another team and was struggling with being effective given very limited utilization.

But put him on a team that shows belief, that will give him a topsix roll, and he'll knock it out of the ballpark as he's doing.

Also finally getting Yak together with Pouliot and Roy was Win Win on different levels. It makes it a more dangerous line and it helps Yak, and helps each individual player. Because the line is more of a purposeful fit. Good on Nelson to recognize what I stated should occur in line configs.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This.

Not sure why people are surprised at all that Roy has been a solid fit. A player of immense skill, poise, ability was playing a bit roll on another team and was struggling with being effective given very limited utilization.

But put him on a team that shows belief, that will give him a topsix roll, and he'll knock it out of the ballpark as he's doing.

Also finally getting Yak together with Pouliot and Roy was Win Win on different levels. It makes it a more dangerous line and it helps Yak, and helps each individual player. Because the line is more of a purposeful fit. Good on Nelson to recognize what I stated should occur in line configs.
I want to get the top line rilling and I think swapping Pouliot and Hall could get that happening but I'm just worried it won't work out for the second line. If it does then my god we are in for a treat.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I want to get the top line rilling and I think swapping Pouliot and Hall could get that happening but I'm just worried it won't work out for the second line. If it does then my god we are in for a treat.

Having a productive second line helps the first.

It means that opposing coaches can't focus solely on the top line.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Don't really know how you can blame that 2nd on Nikitin...

All in all I think this was one of Nikitin's better games in a while.

I agree.

That was as close to a total team effort as it gets for this team.

There were no passengers.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Finally the Oilers have some experience in the top 6

Now we just need to somehow acquire Seabrooke

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Having a productive second line helps the first.

It means that opposing coaches can't focus solely on the top line.

Been saying it all year. With Drai and Arco stumbling around opponents could just focus on our topline and not worry about anything else.

Anybody catch Halls reaction when Arco got traded? Hall stated "It was a nice story" That seemed to me to be the type of comment that is ready to move on. I'm sure Hall had nothing against Arco but I would imagine he was happy with the return and getting a real NHL C back. Because even though Hall wasn't playing with Arco, Drai, it all impacted him a lot.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Been saying it all year. With Drai and Arco stumbling around opponents could just focus on our topline and not worry about anything else.

Anybody catch Halls reaction when Arco got traded? Hall stated "It was a nice story" That seemed to me to be the type of comment that is ready to move on. I'm sure Hall had nothing against Arco but I would imagine he was happy with the return and getting a real NHL C back. Because even though Hall wasn't playing with Arco, Drai, it all impacted him a lot.
When you only have one scoring line, its very easy to beat you.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it's safe to say the Perron trade is looking really good right now. Yak isn't pushed out from winger depth, Klinkhammer's been a physical force, and we got another 1st round pick out of it, which could be as high as 16th. Perron wasn't playing well this season anyway.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Since the trade Perron has played twice, 1 goal, no assists and an even +/-.

Klinkhammer has been in 3, 1 assist, no goals and a +2

Not saying Klink is better but the trade hasn't looked awful yet.

Our top 6 has been the best it has been without him, Klinkhammer has 20 freaking hits in 3 games and the 1at can get us something. I miss Perron but the trade hasn't looked awful yet

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Since the trade Perron has played twice, 1 goal, no assists and an even +/-.

Klinkhammer has been in 3, 1 assist, no goals and a +2

Not saying Klink is better but the trade hasn't looked awful yet.

Our top 6 has been the best it has been without him, Klinkhammer has 20 freaking hits in 3 games and the 1at can get us something. I miss Perron but the trade hasn't looked awful yet

Trust me on this specific I would hold out on saying too much until appreciable time has elapsed.

In respect only of player trade the Oilers lost this deal just like the Blues lost the deal. Seems that anytime Perron is traded the deal is lost.

There is no way, ever, that a person could legitimately state Klinkhammer>Perron.

If you state that I will be fetching the hammer. ;)

I know you're not stating that, just jk around, but I could see that some people will be making related statement soon enough.

Klink hits, skates, forechecks. Usually for about 10games. I don't think he could even maintain this pace if he tried. This is not a Clutterbuck(who is also skilled relatively speaking) this is a guy that plays bit role, usually limited minutes, and likely can't maintain this.

In anycase a guy that only brings one element is a limited hockey player. Klink is very limited being bereft of NHL skills. if this is not apparent now it will be soon enough.

OilerInOttawa

Dec 8, 2014
Trust me on this specific I would hold out on saying too much until appreciable time has elapsed.

In respect only of player trade the Oilers lost this deal just like the Blues lost the deal. Seems that anytime Perron is traded the deal is lost.

There is no way, ever, that a person could legitimately state Klinkhammer>Perron.

I know you're not stating that, just jk around, but I could see that some people will be making related statement soon enough.

He definitely didn't say that so keep the hammer down but if that 1st round pick turns into anything decent we're the winner...assuming Perron maintains the same pace of course...and Klink keeps hitting double digits with hits per game lol We'll see how Perron does against Colorado tonight.

McDeathbyCheerios*

No one could ever say that.
It works for our team cause it made room for Yak in the top 6 and got us a guy who looks like a legit nhl 4th liner doing all the things Joensuu and Pinizotto should of done.
That and it gets us a nifty 1st round draft pick that we can use to drag a good player out of a cap strapped team.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Couple points:

(1) that Yak goal only happens because of Hall's determined backchecking. Rarely see him like that and he looked like Datsyuk on that play.

(2) not sure I agree with "put Yak with a 2C and look what happens". They tried him with a variety of players and he looked lost on every line.

Maybe it's simply because Roy is teaching on-ice, who knows?

I'm glad he's off the schneid buy there's a hella long way to go before he looks like a competent NHL player out there.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
I thought Roy's post-game interview was interesting, especially regarding his comments on Yakupov.

It's something along the lines of... "He brings speed, he brings deceptiveness. The opposition never knows what he's doing on the ice. Though we don't even know what he's doing out there half the time."

I think it says a lot about Yak. He has all the tools to succeed, but limited hockey IQ. Good to see that Roy's been giving him some pointers though. I want to see him succeed more than anyone.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Couple points:

(1) that Yak goal only happens because of Hall's determined backchecking. Rarely see him like that and he looked like Datsyuk on that play.

(2) not sure I agree with "put Yak with a 2C and look what happens". They tried him with a variety of players and he looked lost on every line.

I'm glad he's off the schneid buy there's a hella long way to go before he looks like a competent NHL player out there.

Yak, looked fine with Gagner when he did play with him. I wonder how he would have looked this year with Snowpants if we had kept him around... The Roy trade could save MacT's bacon, the guys been incredible since coming over.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Couple points:

I hinted at what it is. I'll hint again. Roy is new to this team. Its part of the reason it worked.

The other being that Roy brings a skillset not represented on this team until now. A vet, informed, skilled Center that is very composed, can hold his breath out there, not panic, and that in every way emulates how Yak needs to learn to approach the game of NHL hockey.

Gordon could do that too to some extent but without the degree of offensive support Roy provides. Roy is great at possessing the puck, buying time, and allowing team mates to get in good positions and find them.

Roy is effective calm, new, and almost exactly what Yak needed, which I stated before it occurred.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
That was a hell of a game. The Oilers passing and puck support was quite incredible. It's really night and day from what it was. All you really have to do is watch the post game comments form the opposing team to get a feel for things. I remember when eakins was still here and the league was laughing at us. You listen to chicagos post game and you hear some things that have never been associated with this oilers group......they competed, they out worked us, now they play as a team, they were working as a 5 man unit, thats a good team.......it's still early days but I enjoy watching this team play again.

This is for Nelly....

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Good point Replacement.

I'd pat you on the back, but you already did that yourself.

I agree we haven't had a center like Roy in a long time.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I hinted at what it is. I'll hint again. Roy is new to this team. Its part of the reason it worked.

The other being that Roy brings a skillset not represented on this team until now. A vet, informed, skilled Center that is very composed, can hold his breath out there, not panic, and that in every way emulates how Yak needs to learn to approach the game of NHL hockey.

Gordon could do that too to some extent but without the degree of offensive support Roy provides. Roy is great at possessing the puck, buying time, and allowing team mates to get in good positions and find them.

Roy is effective calm, new, and almost exactly what Yak needed, which I stated before it occurred.
Roy is a vet with something to prove and here, he has the opportunity to prove that. Prove that he can be a mid 6 NHL player that has a strong 2 way game and can put up points.

He seems to love it here and he may have a home till he retires. Start him as the 2c and as our depth matures move him down.

I also want to speak about Lander. A guy who looked great in the ahl and bad here. And then, his AHL coach comes up and Lander begins playing good again. Nelson knows how Lander needs to play to be effective and he brings that out in him. I think Lander might actually be a legit bottom 6 nhl player now, and its very nice to see. He is much less of an ahl player then Arcobello is right now.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
I didn't watch the game. They looked kind of shaky in the highlights, though.

Yak had a hell of a backcheck....I think in the 3rd period, then scored after I think to put them up.

Looked like the D was still a little overmatched.

Both Hawks goals were scored on Fayne on almost identical 2 on 1s.
Shot on Scrivens, rebound right out in the worst place to the other Hawk, goal.

Not sure why we gave up the 2 on 1s, or exactly who to blame, but D didn't look great. Schultz looked bad as usual.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Fun game to watch.

Ebs and Nuge were clicking.

Yaks and Roy were clicking.

Klinkhammer is a beast...that can skate.

Lander looked phenomenal. I've been keeping an eye on him since he got drafted and this is the best game I've seen him play as an Oiler.

One thing that concerned me, was that Hallsy seemed to be pouting when the camera showed the bench when it was 4-2.

Was that my imagination?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I thought Roy's post-game interview was interesting, especially regarding his comments on Yakupov.

It's something along the lines of... "He brings speed, he brings deceptiveness. The opposition never knows what he's doing on the ice. Though we don't even know what he's doing out there half the time."

I think it says a lot about Yak. He has all the tools to succeed, but limited hockey IQ. Good to see that Roy's been giving him some pointers though. I want to see him succeed more than anyone.

hmmm.

Lets go back into the history books. Messier/Anderson.

Despite both being Canadians Mess was at first a north south simple NA player. Andersons game was as much composed of years of international play and studying international player and bringing several Euro tricks into the NHL arsenal. At first Anderson would do certain things and Mess wouldn't have much idea what Anderson was doing. Soon the pair developed a knowledge that eventually seemed inate and where there were countless goals scored between the two where they knew, but opponents didn't know, what they were doing.

Next, Gretz, Kurri. So many crossover, so many moves to odd positions that lesser players heads would spin. MANY, countless NHL players wouldn't understand what they were doing and wouldn't be able to do it with each other. Indeed that line had a series of fill players that were designed to be third wheels that would be the more predictable position player to Kurri and Gretzkys convoluted, and yet methodical play. (with apologies to Kurri being an excellent all round player)

But theres few that could understand how to play as well with Gretz/Kurri. Indeed part of their success was being an unrecognizable mysterious force that was extremely hard to figure out. This is how creating chaos is often a precursor to creating offensive drives the opponent has trouble figuring out.

I embrace it.

Yak and Roy have played 4 periods together. Roy has played with enigmatic play before and he can read it just fine. He was being intently humorous with the quote. Could be a facet of message there for Yak to tone it down a bit. But overall you can bet that Roy is as thrilled as anybody to be playing a topsix role here with two players that can produce. He was in a gulag in Nashville.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Good point Replacement.

I'd pat you on the back, but you already did that yourself.

I agree we haven't had a center like Roy in a long time.

The only reason I preface stating it is to indicate its an observed known that is detected. I'm ecstatic that finally we have a coach who see's these same knowns.

Nelson seeing a lot more though and doing an incredible job. Nelson is everything and more that Eakins said he was and all of the things that Eakins wasn't. ;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Roy is a vet with something to prove and here, he has the opportunity to prove that. Prove that he can be a mid 6 NHL player that has a strong 2 way game and can put up points.

He seems to love it here and he may have a home till he retires. Start him as the 2c and as our depth matures move him down.

I also want to speak about Lander. A guy who looked great in the ahl and bad here. And then, his AHL coach comes up and Lander begins playing good again. Nelson knows how Lander needs to play to be effective and he brings that out in him. I think Lander might actually be a legit bottom 6 nhl player now, and its very nice to see. He is much less of an ahl player then Arcobello is right now.

Lander has skillsets and size that is more applicable to NHL play. What he needs is a chance to build, feel that, and to gain confidence. What you're seeing is a player building his niche. Again a godsend that Nelson is a coach and recognizing this.

Where I'm completely out to lunch is in not recognizing Purcell. I haven't decoded that player. Nelson has, and a masterstroke putting him with Lander that I would never recognize. I still don't. Its working, I don't even know why. I don't speak Purcell yet, I'll have to try if this continues. Because this was Landers best NHL game ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad