GDT: 5/19/22 - 7:00PM EDT - #3 Tampa Bay @ #1 Florida [ECSF GAME 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Other responses above are refuting this, but while somewhat on the topic -- also misspell and mispronounce Sergachev, too. Transliteration puts it more like Sergachyov (Shestyorkin is similar to this too) but maybe it's easier to spell with only the "e" instead of "yo".
Also Federov, since I'm pretty sure that name comes from the given name 'Fyodor' which is equivalent to 'Theodore.'

Russian has 'e' which is pronounced 'yeh' and 'ё' which is pronounced 'yoh'. The latter is mostly used in instructional materials for students and foreigners and at some point some Slav magic happens and you're supposed to understand where they go in everyday reading and writing.

I don't know why the decision to transliterate the names was made as such, but it isn't the only bizarre decision in Russian-English transliteration IMO.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Also Federov, since I'm pretty sure that name comes from the given name 'Fyodor' which is equivalent to 'Theodore.'

Russian has 'e' which is pronounced 'yeh' and 'ё' which is pronounced 'yoh'. The latter is mostly used in instructional materials for students and foreigners and at some point some Slav magic happens and you're supposed to understand where they go in everyday reading and writing.

I don't know why the decision to transliterate the names was made as such, but it isn't the only bizarre decision in Russian-English transliteration IMO.
I was mostly talking about the pronunciation...

The name itself I would myself translate to ... Blackie? It can mean Blackman, Black dog, but even Black burger (if you burn it). Anything black and masculine. But I am not Slovak, so take it with grain of salt.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

I love linguistics, and find this fascinating. Thanks, both of you.

PS Anyone repping Roman Hamrlik is aces in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad