Proposal: 4th pick plus Mantha ➕? For Werenski?

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If Columbus goes for it, I'd absolutely do it. Finally get a #1 and go in hard on Hall in FA to replace the loss of Mantha.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Hall
Fabbri-Fil-Zadina
Perlini-Gagner-Timashov
Helm-Nielsen-Erne

Werenski-Hronek
DeKeyser-Seider
Cholowski-Nemeth

Finally some decent parts of the roster shaping up. Send Abby down to the AHL. Not that it's an important detail, just feels good to say. :crossfing

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Is this our new Trouba?
Maybe he is "our new Trouba", but either way that's a hefty price, I'd rather buy him for free in 3 yrs as UFA (assuming he signs a 1yr QO in 22-23 & doesn't extend with CLB or traded & extends elsewhere), he wants to play with Larkin, so we may not even have to outbid other teams. It'll coincide with our rebuild timeline.

23-24:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
Fabbri- 2C/Veleno - Zadina
Ras/Veleno-Ras/Veleno -Berggren?
Timashov?-Pearson?-Smith?

Werenski-Seider
McIsaac-Hronek
Johansson-Lindstrom
-Tuomisto

1A Eric Cartman
1B Georgiev?

That Defense is pretty sexy.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If Columbus goes for it, I'd absolutely do it. Finally get a #1 and go in hard on Hall in FA to replace the loss of Mantha.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Hall
Fabbri-Fil-Zadina
Perlini-Gagner-Timashov
Helm-Nielsen-Erne

Werenski-Hronek
DeKeyser-Seider
Cholowski-Nemeth

Finally some decent parts of the roster shaping up. Send Abby down to the AHL. Not that it's an important detail, just feels good to say. :crossfing
Hall wants to play for a contender, not go through a 4th rebuild (EDM/NJ/AZ). I see him going to NYI, they have the cap & have some interest, good fit for both. Good upcoming young team with depth.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think Mantha and Werenski is kind of low hanging fruit in terms of a hockey trade that could make sense, but I can't help but feel that #4 is a massive overpayment on top of Mantha. I could see Werenski for Mantha+something, but certainly not Mantha+Drysdale/Sanderson. Just kind of tossing in those two D prospects as placeholders that could make sense in that slot. A controlled, 26 year old budding winger to plop next to Dubois for the better part of the next decade, plus drafting someone you hope can effectively replace Werenski in 2-3 years...I would do that if I were Columbus without much second thought.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Maybe he is "our new Trouba", but either way that's a hefty price, I'd rather buy him for free in 3 yrs as UFA (assuming he signs a 1yr QO in 22-23 & doesn't extend with CLB or traded & extends elsewhere), he wants to play with Larkin, so we may not even have to outbid other teams. It'll coincide with our rebuild timeline.

23-24:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
Fabbri- 2C/Veleno - Zadina
Ras/Veleno-Ras/Veleno -Berggren?
Timashov?-Pearson?-Smith?

Werenski-Seider
McIsaac-Hronek
Johansson-Lindstrom
-Tuomisto

1A Eric Cartman
1B Georgiev?

That Defense is pretty sexy.

He doesn't have any buddies on CBJ?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Mantha is elite at his position.
Maybe it's splitting hairs, but until Mantha stays healthy and produces for a full season, I'm not calling him elite at anything. Granted, it's an arbitrary and subjective term, but when I think elite winger, I think Ovechkin / Kane / Kucherov / etc. A guy in the hunt for the scoring title in any given season. Not a guy who plays in tremendous bursts, then inevitably sits out several games due to injury or getting called out by the coach. (I get it that he's probably turned a corner on that last part, but he still needs to string together 70-80 games of great play in a given year for me to consider him elite.)

Reactions: FMichael

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I actually like this trade idea a lot. We'd be set on defense for the next 10+ years with Werenski + Seider on our top pair. We screwed up passing on Quinn Hughes, but we'd have a very good top 3 with Hronek as your #3 d-man. I get that everyone wants to hold off on trading Mantha until when he's clearly on his downside, if not sign him to a really bad deal like we always did under Holland, but we are in a full on rebuild and must improve our team over the next 3-4 years. Trying to rely on the lottery isn't exactly a sure-fire way. I've embraced the lottery as it's the one proven way to get young, elite cheap talent but it also requires a bit of luck.

If we got the #1 or #2 pick then sure, draft. We got hosed, rather than just sit there and accept that do something about it. This would be a massive win for the team 3 years down the line when we will begin to show signs of life.

Before anyone gets too upset this is just talk and the odds of it happening are extremely low, just not as low as they would have been under Holland.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Jones, Werenski, Dubois seems like a pretty ideal young core to be building around. No idea why they wouldn't do just about everything they can do to keep them

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
As in the 4th overall pick? To be completely honest I wouldn't move the 4th overall for Werenski, let alone add on top of it. Werenski doesn't really line up with our window of contention and trading for him only needless speeds up our rebuild when we clearly are not anywhere close to contention. By moving Mantha on top of adding the 4th overall pick we're just addressing one issue while creating another one.

As much as I would love to speed the rebuild up I think we have too many holes to make a trade like this.

Reactions: Darkseider

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Werenski doesn't really line up with our window of contention and trading for him only needless speeds up our rebuild when we clearly are not anywhere close to contention.
I don't really think this trade makes sense for either team... but how does a really, really good 23 year old two way defenseman "not line up with our window"? There is no chance for us to be good again in the next 15 years?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Maybe it's splitting hairs, but until Mantha stays healthy and produces for a full season, I'm not calling him elite at anything. Granted, it's an arbitrary and subjective term, but when I think elite winger, I think Ovechkin / Kane / Kucherov / etc. A guy in the hunt for the scoring title in any given season. Not a guy who plays in tremendous bursts, then inevitably sits out several games due to injury or getting called out by the coach. (I get it that he's probably turned a corner on that last part, but he still needs to string together 70-80 games of great play in a given year for me to consider him elite.)
Agreed Lindros was nothing special

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The only thing Mantha is 'elite' is in how he finds a way to get injured every season.

Reactions: odin1981

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad