4th Overall the Senators Take Brady Tkachuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
How many points does he put up assuming Belleville is much better next year, and that’s where he goes?

~50-55 points a decent assumption?

Looking at recent high pick 19 year old AHL’ers, like Puljujarvi, Anderson, Meier, Svechnikov, etc. that would be a very solid season.

Most recently, Poolparty was on pace for 54 points, and he was up and down from the NHL. I think he is a similar prospect to Tkachuk, but Tkachuk has the benefit of being in a better developmental system (sounds weird saying Ottawa is better than anyone at anything positive.)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t think the team is toxic at all, not the on ice level, now that Hoffman is gone ;)

BU is probably a good idea for the kid if he doesn’t feel like he’s dominant at this point. It’s not juniors so he’s still playing against men, but it’s also a developmental league for him so that should be good for the long term.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
So if Tkachuk goes back to BU, he has to be PPG or better to show that his offensive game can translate in the NHL.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
So if Tkachuk goes back to BU, he has to be PPG or better to show that his offensive game can translate in the NHL.

That is really not a good metric to use.

Shattenkirk was out-produced year after year in college by teammate and DMan Colby Cohen (picked in the same draft by the Avs).
Mittelstadt was below PPG and outscored by Nashville 2016 3rd rounder Rem Pitlick last year.
Wheeler was 8th on his team in scoring in his D+2 season, 5th in his D+3 season, and finally led in his D+4 season. He was nearly 22 and he put up basically the same pace that Brady did last year as a 17/18 year old last year.

Tkachuk needs to improve, ideally score a larger percentage of his team's goals, and be amongst their top scorers. BU didn't have anyone hit the PPG last year and there's a good chance they won't have anyone hit that mark this year, either. They have a ton of young players joining the roster and it's tough to tell how they will fare.

Reactions: BigRig4

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That is really not a good metric to use.

Shattenkirk was out-produced year after year in college by teammate and DMan Colby Cohen (picked in the same draft by the Avs).
Mittelstadt was below PPG and outscored by Nashville 2016 3rd rounder Rem Pitlick last year.
Wheeler was 8th on his team in scoring in his D+2 season, 5th in his D+3 season, and finally led in his D+4 season. He was nearly 22 and he put up basically the same pace that Brady did last year as a 17/18 year old last year.

Tkachuk needs to improve, ideally score a larger percentage of his team's goals, and be amongst their top scorers. BU didn't have anyone hit the PPG last year and there's a good chance they won't have anyone hit that mark this year, either. They have a ton of young players joining the roster and it's tough to tell how they will fare.
That's a big problem

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Anyone else hoping to see more from him in the showcase? I barely noticed him against Sweden.

Hughes is probably the only guy that went after BT I'm disappointed we passed on. He doesn't fit the organizations MO so I don't expect he was ever really on our radar, but he's going to be an absolute stud for a very long time. I have irrational man-crushes on undersized defenders though, so this could just be my bias talking.

This organization needs a top end D man way more than a winger, they actually have wingers already. Hughes was so good at the world championships and the sens didnt have anyone watching the tournament, in fact they already had their year end meetings. Which isnt shocking with the cuts the organization has made however it was obvious how talented he is. New age player for the way the game is going he is going to be a star.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
BU for one more year benefits the Sens financial situation probably why they drafted so many NCAA players

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Strength and muscle should not be Tkachuk’s first priority. He has some room to grow physically yes, but he needs to really refine and improve his skills. I’d put him in London or Belleville.

I think he would have more practice time at college than in the Juniors which would mean more time to improve his puck skills.

Playing a lot of games does not provide anyway near the amount of time that practice can for puck handling, shooting and passing skills.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Maybe Brady doesn't have to be PPG but he sure as hell better be focusing on his offensive game over everything else. We know what every other aspect of his game will look like but there are legitimate questions about how much he'll produce and having a great season can ease everyone's minds a little bit.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Maybe Brady doesn't have to be PPG but he sure as hell better be focusing on his offensive game over everything else. We know what every other aspect of his game will look like but there are legitimate questions about how much he'll produce and having a great season can ease everyone's minds a little bit.
He needs to get quicker and stronger too though. He doesn't have great skill but if he can't bully other guys physically and beat them in foot races, he won't be very effective anywhere besides the boards and in front of the net. BU is probably best to balance all that. If he didn't look so poor physically right now, I'd want him in London to play with other real talent and focus purely on his offensive skills but his body isn't up to par and needs to be a big priority in the short term.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Multiple highlights on twitter. Throwing Rasmussen around like a rag doll, that assist ^, and a drive on the PK where he strips the puck, carries it up the ice, and passes it to the slot where unfortunately it bounces around and goes over his teammates stick. Good IQ and skating shown though.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Multiple highlights on twitter. Throwing Rasmussen around like a rag doll, that assist ^, and a drive on the PK where he strips the puck, carries it up the ice, and passes it to the slot where unfortunately it bounces around and goes over his teammates stick. Good IQ and skating shown though.
Post it :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad