4th Overall the Senators Take Brady Tkachuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'm major dissapointed we didn't pick this guy. Some players just have it, the perfect blend of cocky to insane hockey ability and iq.

Quinn Hughes has it. He's going to go Matt Barzal on defence.

We are going to regret not picking him guarenteed.
Not if ek signs a long deal and chabot works out and Wolanin is decent. The need would be greater for the type of player we got.

Reactions: aragorn

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Hughes is probably the only guy that went after BT I'm disappointed we passed on. He doesn't fit the organizations MO so I don't expect he was ever really on our radar, but he's going to be an absolute stud for a very long time. I have irrational man-crushes on undersized defenders though, so this could just be my bias talking.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Keith had no troubles speaking or acting the way he wanted ,Iam sure he wont let his son go into a ****show

Actually, by the sounds of it the family is going to offer opinions, and support, but Brady is making the decision himself. Keith has made it clear that his son has a strong enough character to choose for himself.

This bodes well for the young man as a player and person. I also don't think that the ownership shit show is affecting the team from coach down as much as people think.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Actually, by the sounds of it the family is going to offer opinions, and support, but Brady is making the decision himself. Keith has made it clear that his son has a strong enough character to choose for himself.

This bodes well for the young man as a player and person. I also don't think that the ownership **** show is affecting the team from coach down as much as people think.
TBH I wouldnt mind him in the AHL,providing of course its actually going to be a good and well manged team...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
TBH I wouldnt mind him in the AHL,providing of course its actually going to be a good and well manged team...

Me neither. I want him to continue playing against men, and college may be good for training and development, not to mention his education. On the other hand the AHL would introduce him to the grind of the AHL schedule, much more aggressive play, and would get him started on his first pro deal. It also looks like Bellville will be filled with our best kids, and could be the start of a great growing environment for our new group of kids, like the Calder Cup team. Add in a proven development coach and it looks like it could be a good place for him.

I'm glad that he doesn't seem to be interested in the OHL, to me that would be a huge step backwards playing against kids.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hughes is probably the only guy that went after BT I'm disappointed we passed on. He doesn't fit the organizations MO so I don't expect he was ever really on our radar, but he's going to be an absolute stud for a very long time. I have irrational man-crushes on undersized defenders though, so this could just be my bias talking.

Why do people keep saying this? EK was an undersized defenceman & they drafted him, same with Wideman, Tychonick is another one they just drafted & there have been a bunch at forward. IMO Ottawa like every other NHL team does not have an MO, they pick the best player they have ranked who is available when they get to pick, period. They picked the guy they had ranked who was the best player available, Hughes was not the best player in their opinion, it's not anything more than that, so it has nothing to do with MO.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I would rather give Tkachuk more time to develop physically and improve his skillset at Boston College for another year. Then AHL for a year if necessary, and then NHL.

Reactions: derriko

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Me neither. I want him to continue playing against men, and college may be good for training and development, not to mention his education. On the other hand the AHL would introduce him to the grind of the AHL schedule, much more aggressive play, and would get him started on his first pro deal. It also looks like Bellville will be filled with our best kids, and could be the start of a great growing environment for our new group of kids, like the Calder Cup team. Add in a proven development coach and it looks like it could be a good place for him.

I'm glad that he doesn't seem to be interested in the OHL, to me that would be a huge step backwards playing against kids.

Has anyone done any in-depth comparison between the AHL and NCAA in regards to strength development?

From what I remember, the AHL has a lot of 3 games in 4 night type stretches. What does that do to muscle, when it breaks down during games but you don't have that recovery time afterwards to build it back up? I'm no gym/fitness expert, but it kinda feels like a guy would end up losing muscle over the course of the year with their heavy schedule, compared to the NCAA.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Has anyone done any in-depth comparison between the AHL and NCAA in regards to strength development?

From what I remember, the AHL has a lot of 3 games in 4 night type stretches. What does that do to muscle, when it breaks down during games but you don't have that recovery time afterwards to build it back up? I'm no gym/fitness expert, but it kinda feels like a guy would end up losing muscle over the course of the year with their heavy schedule, compared to the NCAA.
Strength and muscle should not be Tkachuk’s first priority. He has some room to grow physically yes, but he needs to really refine and improve his skills. I’d put him in London or Belleville.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not London, he played against men all last year, he doesn’t need to go and play against kids just so he can score more and be more physically dominant overweaker competition.

Just my opinion of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad