4th Overall the Senators Take Brady Tkachuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Draft day slides haven’t really seemed to indicate much in the past. We see players that slide make teams look foolish almost every year.

Dobson will be that guy for 2018.
Vilardi will be that guy for 2017.
Thought Brown was that guy for 2016. Hope he still is but I have some doubts now.

Seems like my favorite prospects fall hard every year :laugh:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Dobson will be that guy for 2018.
Vilardi will be that guy for 2017.
Thought Brown was that guy for 2016. Hope he still is but I have some doubts now.

Seems like my favorite prospects fall hard every year :laugh:

Brown didn't slide too much, not like those other guys. There was talk Brown would rise but I mostly saw him ranked after 8th.

re: Dobson, totally agreed. Pretty soon everyone after 2 is going to be wishing they had him.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So this tweet by the Canucks shows their GM mic'd during the Draft.. There is a point early on (before Detroit picked Zadina) that they were discussing Zadina or Hughes... they wanted Hughes.. so to me it is becoming evident that Zadina had lost some favor-ability in the eyes of a few teams

Woah. Not so impressive imo. I wouldn’t bet on Vancouver scouting. They did get a couple interesting players though.

Reactions: Mr Hat

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Interesting comment in that clip "when do CHL goalies picked late ever pan out?... other than Murray". Question worth looking into considering we picked one the last two years.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Interesting comment in that clip "when do CHL goalies picked late ever pan out?... other than Murray". Question worth looking into considering we picked one the last two years.

2001 - Mike Smith (#161)
2009 - Darcy Kuemper (#161)
2010 - Petr Mrazek (#141)
2011 - Laurent Brossoit (#164)

I did an (extremely) quick search of goalies drafted out of the CHL between 2000 and 2015 and these are the guys of note drafted from round 5, 6 and 7. I may have missed som guys, but it paints a bit of a bleak picture.

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
2001 - Mike Smith (#161)

I did an (extremely) quick search of goalies drafted out of the CHL between 2000 and 2015 and these are the guys of note drafted from round 5, 6 and 7. I may have missed som guys, but it paints a bit of a bleak picture.

I'm pretty sure Brian Elliot was the last person drafted in his year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Holtby
Reimer
Mason
Grubrauer
Mrazek
Kuemper
Anderson
M. Smith
Emery
Murray

The only notable guys from the 3rd round and on since 2000 out of the CHL

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
It kinda makes sense, if you take a goalie that late you'd want them getting 4 full years of development in the NCAA

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
2001 - Mike Smith (#161)

What is the success rate though. How many tital picks and how would that compare toother positions.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Woah. Not so impressive imo. I wouldn’t bet on Vancouver scouting. They did get a couple interesting players though.

Yea Benning is one of the few GMs that I much prefer Dorion over, despite the Dahlen gift. Benning, Chia and Bergevin are in their own league of incompetence.

Reactions: Icelevel

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Meanwhile, back to Brady in the Brady thread - Are we going to sign him or let him stew at BC/London for the year without a contract?

Reactions: branch

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Meanwhile, back to Brady in the Brady thread - Are we going to sign him or let him stew at BC/London for the year without a contract?
If he goes to London it will be because he signed a contract and never made the Sens out of camp or was sent back prior to his ELC kicking in, rather than Belleville.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

My concern is even signing him at all. Walt could play hardball (you know he's involved in the process), EK and Brady have the same "agent" so you have to wonder what the relationship to PD is like right now, and what Brady's uncle is saying to him these days.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
My concern is even signing him at all. Walt could play hardball (you know he's involved in the process), EK and Brady have the same "agent" so you have to wonder what the relationship to PD is like right now, and what Brady's uncle is saying to him these days.
0 concern about Brady signing, less than 0

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Have you heard if he is wanting to get a deal done this summer?
No I wouldn't know anything with regards to Tkachuk, there is just little reason to be worried about that. Wheeler was the last guy taken that high that wouldn't sign with the team, and we would have done our homework.

Tons of things to be worried about with the Sens, this isn't one of them.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's more common for late round picks who have taken huge steps in their development not to sign with the team that drafted them, because they aren't initially a priority for teams to sign early on after being drafted, and then by the time signing becomes a possibility, they've already burned off those 2 or 3 years of College. So it's easier to justify waiting a year or two to start accruing the NHL contract years.

With a player like Tkachuk, he could sign now and possibly be in the NHL as soon as this season. Not only does that mean he'll get a shot at making around 3 million dollars (assuming he hits performance bonuses) but it also means he's closer to signing a big extension. If Tkachuk proves to be the real deal, right now he's at the earliest 2 years away from getting as much as 50-60 million of guaranteed money (assuming he signs 7-8 years at 6-7 million). By not signing with Ottawa, he pushes that possible payday off by as much as 4 years instead of 2 at the earliest.

With Colin White, I was a bit uneasy because it seemed like the team was trying to cheap out and that might have sabotaged their ability to get him to leave College at the time. They were talking about White signing a tryout contract in the AHL, which made zero sense for a player whose ELC wouldn't otherwise slide. (Teams take that route with players like Tage Thompson whose ELC would have slid anyways, they sign a post dated ELC starting the next season in conjunction with a tryout deal that gets them on the AHL roster for the remainder of the hockey year).

I'm not the least bit worried about Tkachuk bolting.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You'd get to hear Melnyk tell Mann and Dorion he's decided they're taking Tkachuk.

'Because he is tall and I heard his dad was good'. Eugene didnt you watch Keith, he played in the NHL when you were in your 40's. 'I was in barbados drinking maitai's' Ok but you did have the opportunity to see him play. He even played when you purchased the Ottawa Senators 'Maitai's'.... Ok Eugene.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Matvei Guskov has signed with the London Knights for the 2018-2019 seasons. Highly rated prospect for 2019 draft. It was looking like London might be somewhat thin for this upcoming season but they're adding some really nice talent. If Tkachuk plays in London, he could go on a deep run. Boston U looks like they could be a solid team next year as well. Will be interesting to see where Brady ends up next seasons.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if Brady signs a ELC, doesn't that bar him from going back to NCAA?

Perhaps the only thing holding up the contract process is him deciding College vs OHL/AHL/NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad