Prospect Info: 4th Overall, Bowen Byram, Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The exact quote about his skating was,

“does the big ice suit you well?”

“Um, ya I think so. I think Skating is kind of a strong suit of mine. So if I can use my speed on the big ice it definitely helps.”

Hardly arrogant.

He looks like he could be Landeskog’s 13 year old brother.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The exact quote about his skating was,

“does the big ice suit you well?”

“Um, ya I think so. I think Skating is kind of a strong suit of mine. So if I can use my speed on the big ice it definitely helps.”

Hardly arrogant.

He looks like he could be Landeskog’s 13 year old brother.

People create a narrative that he is an arrogant kid who thinks the CHL is beneath him, and it was over from there. 99% of the analysis I've seen on him follow the same old script. Butthurt, not playing well, regressed offensively, arrogant, takes stupid penalties etc. Completely ignoring context.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
People create a narrative that he is an arrogant kid who thinks the CHL is beneath him, and it was over from there. 99% of the analysis I've seen on him follow the same old script. ********, not playing well, regressed offensively, arrogant, takes stupid penalties etc. Completely ignoring context.
To further add, they asked him if he thinks he can be an X-factor like Makar was, and his response was, “I’m not looking that far ahead, I want to make the team first and foremost, so that is where my head is at.”

You can tell he is a confident kid in the way he handles himself in a media scrum, but nothing from his answers scream arrogant.

He’s just putting himself on the Pietrangelo path.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
To further add, they asked him if he thinks he can be an X-factor like Makar was, and his response was, “I’m not looking that far ahead, I want to make the team first and foremost, so that is where my head is at.”

You can tell he is a confident kid in the way he handles himself in a media scrum, but nothing from his answers scream arrogant.

He’s just putting himself on the Pietrangelo path.

Yeah. But that doesn't fit the "He is a dbag like Doughboy" narrative.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Or...for some of us, he just comes off kinda douchie when we hear him speak :dunno:

TBH I kinda like that about him; so it's not like I'm using to s*** on him because I'm one of the haters. But it's there. He might be a sweet kid, but there's something about his mannerisms that is going to rub some folks the wrong way. That's why some folks get rubbed the wrong way by it.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
he just comes off kinda *****ie when we hear him speak
You have to understand how this can only be seen as a 'negging' kind of comment though right? You say you don't want to shit on him but saying this is kinda doing exactly that even if you have other intentions. It perpetuates the bullshit takes on his personality.

Reactions: Ivan13

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Ask the most competitive and winning-driven athlete I’ve ever seen, Patrick Roy, if he ever thought anybody was better than him.

I love the ultra-confidence.

Every player in the NHL has that somewhere inside them. Some won't say it out loud but they all think they are the best and that's what got them to this level.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Him being a big Burrows fan might actually be the worst thing about him. That's a red flag.
It's not if he'll bite an opponent, but when for me. :laugh: He has that sort of face, that Alexandre Burrows and Luis Suarez type of shark fangs. :nod:

Just look at them...
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Avs_19

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Or...for some of us, he just comes off kinda *****ie when we hear him speak :dunno:

TBH I kinda like that about him; so it's not like I'm using to s*** on him because I'm one of the haters. But it's there. He might be a sweet kid, but there's something about his mannerisms that is going to rub some folks the wrong way. That's why some folks get rubbed the wrong way by it.

Exactly. Not trying to paint it as a positive or negative thing, it just rubs me the wrong way.

To be honest Makar’s humility gets equally, if not moreso, cringeworthy for me.

Pretty much a coin toss for me which one is harder to watch in an interview.

If BB could iron out the loud and extended “UMMMs” I think the rest of his persona wouldn’t bother me as much.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You have to understand how this can only be seen as a 'negging' kind of comment though right? You say you don't want to **** on him but saying this is kinda doing exactly that even if you have other intentions. It perpetuates the bull**** takes on his personality.
We're not trying to date him, so it doesn't matter if other folks think he's adorable or as douchie as Patrick. That doesn't change how good he is or how much we want him to succeed for this franchise. Most professional athletes are arrogant when you meet them IRL...and that's fine; you almost have to be to dedicate as much of your life as it takes to make it. Some more, some less, some can pull off faux-modesty, others can own their douchiness (like Roy or Doughty), and the rare few are genuinely modest. Different people are going to get rubbed the wrong way at different points on that spectrum by different players & not everyone is going to share your sensibilities.

So I'm sorry for not helping you push this narrative that Byram's never said anything that could turn some folks off :dunno:

FWIW I liked this interview and he hit the good-kind of self-confident, for me. But he's crossed that line (again for me) in others.

Reactions: CobraAcesS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot