4K Televisions: Are they worth it?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Jealous of everyone's new tvs, I need to stay disciplined and wait until next year. I firmly believe OLED will come down in price to a reasonable black friday deal with HDR and 120 Hz. Also hoping Panasonic steps in the ring this CES.

Fyi, highly recommend everyone make sure whatever set they buy has HDR as it is the proper 4K certified spec going forward.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Jealous of everyone's new tvs, I need to stay disciplined and wait until next year. I firmly believe OLED will come down in price to a reasonable black friday deal with HDR and 120 Hz. Also hoping Panasonic steps in the ring this CES.

Fyi, highly recommend everyone make sure whatever set they buy has HDR as it is the proper 4K certified spec going forward.

Feeling similar. I got a sweet plasma 1080p in 2012 just before plasmas got phased out, so I have a hard time justifying losing the beautiful colors and blacks of plasma for 4K LED. Waiting on OLED so I can maintain those benefits and also get 4K HDR. Waiting for that to be reasonably priced though sucks when everyone is rocking their awesome new sets though.

If it's not reasonably priced by next year though, I might not have it in me to wait longer.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

Yes, but there are 2 standards, and it makes things bit of ****show.

There's HDR10 and Dolby Vision (at least for the time being). IIRC, only LG and Vizio support both, but I think the industry would shift towards the 'open' standard (HDR10), even though DV is technically better, although proprietary and requires an actual HW chip (DRM?).

Netflix streams their HDR content with DV from what I've seen, Amazon Prime in HDR10, Vudu will be moving towards HDR10 in the future.

Hooray for standards! :sarcasm:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
So the TV I got is pretty damn amazing, not even watching 4K content and everything looks so damn crisp and just perfect....but my only issue is that when an action scene comes up and people are moving fast it gets a little "choppy"? (Not really blurry but choppy).

Is there any way in the settings to try and ease that or is that just one of the flaws watching something that isn't in 4K on a nice TV?

Here is the TV for reference: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65...TF8&qid=1480120265&sr=8-1&keywords=UN65KU6300

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Wow, the LeEco TV I ordered should be here tomorrow morning. Holy **** is that amazingly fast service. Can't wait to set it up and see if it's a keeper. I can't imagine that I won't be returning the Sony and saving the $300.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
So the TV I got is pretty damn amazing, not even watching 4K content and everything looks so damn crisp and just perfect....but my only issue is that when an action scene comes up and people are moving fast it gets a little "choppy"? (Not really blurry but choppy).

Is there any way in the settings to try and ease that or is that just one of the flaws watching something that isn't in 4K on a nice TV?

Here is the TV for reference: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN65...TF8&qid=1480120265&sr=8-1&keywords=UN65KU6300

You said it wasn't a blur, but it sounds like motion blur from too low a frame rate. Try watching hockey, if you see still then the 60hz may be too low for you. Some don't notice it as much as others.

I'm sitting on a last gen Panasonic Plasma like the other guy who posted, dropping from that to a 60hz LED would be too much for me. I browsed the display models today and like my TV better than all but the 2016 OLEDs, by next year they will be discounted into the ~1k range and I'll dive in.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
You said it wasn't a blur, but it sounds like motion blur from too low a frame rate. Try watching hockey, if you see still then the 60hz may be too low for you. Some don't notice it as much as others.

I'm sitting on a last gen Panasonic Plasma like the other guy who posted, dropping from that to a 60hz LED would be too much for me. I browsed the display models today and like my TV better than all but the 2016 OLEDs, by next year they will be discounted into the ~1k range and I'll dive in.

I didn't notice any blur when watching hockey but the quality definitely wasn't as good as the TV show. Is there any solution or no?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I browsed the display models today and like my TV better than all but the 2016 OLEDs, by next year they will be discounted into the ~1k range and I'll dive in.

This is actually partially the reason why I'm returning the Sony for the Le Eco.

First, I just am overly curious. Second, I really want to wait for the OLED prices to drop before I spend a lot of money on a TV. $300 bucks for a TV that I can likely sell for $150 in 2-3 years or so will be fine.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB

Plasma represent!

It still makes me somewhat angry they killed off plasma. Once you go plasma, you never go back.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

There should be motion adjustments based on what you're watching, sports, cinema, tv, ect. The more you increase the motion settings though, the pictures tends to get that soap opera effect. You have to play lwith your settings and it could be a crappy source. For instance I know CSN on Direct TV will look like crap no matter what I do.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah its the refresh (120 vs 60) and the wider color gamut for HDR 10. The picture is phenomenal though. I upgraded from a 32" Samsung LCD that was almost 8 years old. A buddy of mine picked up the KU6300 55" today. The thing has a great picture. You won't be disappointed with the 6290.

Been great so far. Suits me fine until QLED etc is actually a thing and reasonably priced.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Last minute help anyone? I got the day to decide between these two TV's

Panasonic TX-58DX750E
LG 55UH770V

I liked what I saw from both, LG tv supports Dolby Vision (do I ever need that?), costs 160$ less, is 3" smaller but seems to have a superior OS - I really liked that magic remote. It also only has 3 HDMI ports compared to 5 for the Panasonic one.
Anyone has experience from these or know a lot about them?

Samsung 55KS8005 is also an option in the same price range, costs a little bit more than the panasonic (50$ ish) Did not like it as much as the others.. but every review seem to think its a great tv

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Last minute help anyone? I got the day to decide between these two TV's

Panasonic TX-58DX750E
LG 55UH770V

I liked what I saw from both, LG tv supports Dolby Vision (do I ever need that?), costs 160$ less, is 3" smaller but seems to have a superior OS - I really liked that magic remote. It also only has 3 HDMI ports compared to 5 for the Panasonic one.
Anyone has experience from these or know a lot about them?

Disclosure: I only know what I've researched since reading your post.

Here are the specs for each:
http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/75d0423
http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/8a4f48d

The LG has quantum dot and supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. The Panasonic has none of those three, but does have 3D (even though that's kind of a dead feature at this point).

The two things that jump out at me about the Panasonic are its significantly higher contrast and slightly higher brightness. I don't really understand that, since both displays use an Edge-LED backlight and the LG has quantum dot, so it ought to be better. If those two looked about the same in the store, however, I would guess that either Panasonic's specs aren't as good as they claim or the better technology in the LG makes up for them.

I would probably go with the LG, myself. It's more future-proof with the extra features. Also, it uses their own panel, whereas the Panasonic uses an Innolux panel. I have no idea if that's good, but since I haven't heard of it, I'd be a bit suspicious. Edit: Ah, Innolux is the former Chi Mei.

BTW, the specs say that the Panasonic has only 4 HDMI inputs, not 5, and 2 of them are only HDMI 1.4. All 3 of LG's HDMI inputs are HDMI 2.0.

Last edited:

member 51464

Plasma represent!

It still makes me somewhat angry they killed off plasma. Once you go plasma, you never go back.

Plasma really is great. I even have a not top-of-the-line LG one that still looks great years in. I personally don't get TVs being anything to upgrade more frequently than when they are completely and utterly dead.

I'd imagine I won't be in the market for a new TV before 2020. Who knows what silliness will exist then!

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Disclosure: I only know what I've researched since reading your post.

Here are the specs for each:
http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/75d0423
http://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/8a4f48d

The LG has quantum dot and supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. The Panasonic has none of those three, but does have 3D (even though that's kind of a dead feature at this point).

The two things that jump out at me about the Panasonic are its significantly higher contrast and slightly higher brightness. I don't really understand that, since both displays use an Edge-LED backlight and the LG has quantum dot, so it ought to be better. If those two looked about the same in the store, however, I would guess that either Panasonic's specs aren't as good as they claim or the better technology in the LG makes up for them.

I would probably go with the LG, myself. It's more future-proof with the extra features. Also, it uses their own panel, whereas the Panasonic uses an Innolux panel. I have no idea if that's good, but since I haven't heard of it, I'd be a bit suspicious. Edit: Ah, Innolux is the former Chi Mei.

BTW, the specs say that the Panasonic has only 4 HDMI inputs, not 5, and 2 of them are only HDMI 1.4. All 3 of LG's HDMI inputs are HDMI 2.0.

Thanks for the input, There was a statement from LG that did deny that there was Quantum dot though. About that HDMI number for the Panasonic I did read 4 as well, but the salesman insisted on there being 5 he probably thought one USB was HDMI then

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Bought this guy at Best Buy last night for 470 dollars. http://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...series-4k-uhd-tv--2016-model--un55ku6270fxza/

It's more then I was looking to spend going into the store but I was honestly pretty blown away by the picture on some of the TV's there, some massive quantum dot and OLED TV's were down right ridiculous, especially compared to the 7 year old samsung I'm rocking right now. Aside from the 2000 dollar TV's this and another one I think that's slightly a newer model than this one drew my eye though. Looking forward to hooking it up and seeing what I've got. I hadn't really done any research on 4K TV's so I don't know much about them and who or what is broadcast in 4K so I have some questions if anyone would take the time to answer it would be much appreciated.

What are the best ways to take advantage of the 4K picture and what not? Is Netflix 4K worth it? I primarily use my TV for games and streaming via a FireStick
/Netflix/HBO Go, I have both an XBOX One and a PS4, should I be looking to upgrade to a PS Pro or Xbox One S? What is HDR?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
We have the cheap Westing House Ultra HD TV (38xx x 21xx). It's nice.

The soap opera effect thing is stupid though. I don't know why anyone would watch it like that. Immediately turned off.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
There should be motion adjustments based on what you're watching, sports, cinema, tv, ect. The more you increase the motion settings though, the pictures tends to get that soap opera effect. You have to play lwith your settings and it could be a crappy source. For instance I know CSN on Direct TV will look like crap no matter what I do.

Haha i had that soap opera look when I was watching...it was werid at first but I got used to it and it looked so clear i didnt mind. I didn't realize i could change that, i'll have to fool around with it tonight.

Speaking of Directv which i have too...do you recommend getting the new directv box for the 4k? It costs $300 which I think is insane...or is it worth it?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Haha i had that soap opera look when I was watching...it was werid at first but I got used to it and it looked so clear i didnt mind. I didn't realize i could change that, i'll have to fool around with it tonight.

Speaking of Directv which i have too...do you recommend getting the new directv box for the 4k? It costs $300 which I think is insane...or is it worth it?

I didn't have to pay for the 4k box. They just gave it to me but the rental fee is in there. My deal was four boxes included in my package. You may want to call them, tell them you're shopping them with other providers, they will usually cave in and give you whatever you're looking for.

I recommend anyone making fine adjustments on their display visit avsforums and check the thread for your specific model. Those guys are really good with calibration and the best settings based on what you're watching.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Bought this guy at Best Buy last night for 470 dollars. http://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...series-4k-uhd-tv--2016-model--un55ku6270fxza/

It's more then I was looking to spend going into the store but I was honestly pretty blown away by the picture on some of the TV's there, some massive quantum dot and OLED TV's were down right ridiculous, especially compared to the 7 year old samsung I'm rocking right now. Aside from the 2000 dollar TV's this and another one I think that's slightly a newer model than this one drew my eye though. Looking forward to hooking it up and seeing what I've got. I hadn't really done any research on 4K TV's so I don't know much about them and who or what is broadcast in 4K so I have some questions if anyone would take the time to answer it would be much appreciated.

What are the best ways to take advantage of the 4K picture and what not? Is Netflix 4K worth it? I primarily use my TV for games and streaming via a FireStick
/Netflix/HBO Go, I have both an XBOX One and a PS4, should I be looking to upgrade to a PS Pro or Xbox One S? What is HDR?

HDR is high dynamic range, similar to HDR pictures it's combining multiple frames to display a wider range of colors. Xbox S and PS4 Pro both output or upscale to 4K but your display should do this. There are no games in native 4k, Scorpio is supposed to do this next year. Xbox S has UHD support, so 4K Blurays. The only reason I would get the S right now over the XONE I have is the UHD support.

Netflix and Amazon 4k are worth it.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

Is 4k Netflix worth it? It's pretty meh ATM, I just did it more to see some HDR content. My Vizio's built-in Chromecast supports 4K HDR, so that's saving me some headache with having to buy a new Roku and HDMI cables. On the upside, the 4k Netflix plan supports more devices at once and is 'only' $2 more per month.

I have a PS4, Xbone (and WiiU), and don't feel that the upgraded systems are worth it, as there aren't enough UHD Blurays to make the S worth while, otherwise I don't use my Xbone enough, and the Pro doesn't have a UHD BR drive, so that's a non-starter on that end, and with the stipulation that the Pro games have to be backwards compatible with the PS4, it depends how likely that the devs are going to put the time into support larger textures and HDR to make it worth as well.

Oh, and another thing to consider with HDR, is input lag, not all sets are created equal. I think my Vizio is good enough for movies, and it supports DV and HDR10, but for FPS and action games, it's probably not that great if HDR is on. Vizio has been pretty good with FW updates, but if lag is more of a HW limitation...

It's bit of a chicken and egg issue with 4k, 4k/HDR, and content. I think it should happen relatively soon though, as the panels are cheap as it is (for the off brands), things like OLED are where it's not dropping fast enough.

Broadcast 4k isn't going to happen for a long time, even though ATSC 3.0 supports it, all that bandwidth costs money, not to mention all the stations would need 4k cameras, and IIRC, it's not backwards compatible with ATSC 1.0, which is what we have now (up to 1080i broadcasts). Cable and satellite might add 4k, but expect heavy compression.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad