4K Televisions: Are they worth it?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I've had my LG OLED for a while, now. I have to admit that there has been minimal if any burn-in (and I keep on CNN quite frequently). The quality of the picture is just phenomenal. The price at the time was really damn good, too. Love this TV thus far. Now I hope that my upcoming move doesn't see it damaged . . .

Same here, have an LG Oled and a Samsung 4K, love em both.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I have one in my bedroom. Panasonic 720p 42 inch plasma from 2007. Still works like a charm and zero burn in!

I have a 2014 LG 55 inch 1080p dumb tv in the living room too and it has zero problems.

Do they make dumb TVs anymore? I see zero point in owning a smart tv for myself since I have an Apple TV and a game system for apps. I’d rsther spend less money and skip the smart tv features but I feel like there aren’t dumb TVs anymore.

Don't think they really make dumb TV's anymore, best you can do is ignore the functionality if you can.

My Vizio has a built-in Chromecast, and they upgraded the TV's OS to also have a more traditional smart TV 'pane', but I generally prefer my Roku by far (Harmony remote >>> phone based controls).

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Even if you don't use them the aps on the tv they are good to have. At one point Apple didn't have Prime or something as they were fighting. Amazon removed youtube from Fire TV, Having the aps on your TV will safeguard you from this. Also if the version stops working on whatever method you're using.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Even if you don't use them the aps on the tv they are good to have. At one point Apple didn't have Prime or something as they were fighting. Amazon removed youtube from Fire TV, Having the aps on your TV will safeguard you from this. Also if the version stops working on whatever method you're using.

Meh, I have workarounds. AppleTv doesnt have Prime, but my PS4 does, so it's fine. My thought process is, the "smarter" the TV, the more stuff can break, freeze, takes longer to load, etc.

Honestly I am shocked there isnt a bigger market for people who just want a nice panel, a tuner for over the air TV, and a lot of HDMI connections and thats it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Meh, I have workarounds. AppleTv doesnt have Prime, but my PS4 does, so it's fine. My thought process is, the "smarter" the TV, the more stuff can break, freeze, takes longer to load, etc.

Honestly I am shocked there isnt a bigger market for people who just want a nice panel, a tuner for over the air TV, and a lot of HDMI connections and thats it.

I'm with you. I want a great display on a dumb television. Between my phone and my roku, there's really no reason for me to ever use the apps on the television itself. It'd be so much cheaper if they just dropped all the excess. Surely someone will corner the market in that space sometime soon.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I'd gladly accept that. Although I feel like Prime on the LG TV looks better through LG's Amazon app than Apple's.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This is not related to TVs and more of a service thing, but I have to vent.

We switched over to Bell because the package and everything was way better etc.

The dude tells us then that I can only have 1 4k PVR box, ONLY ONE PER ACCOUNT! I kept telling him I have two 4k TV's and I'd be more than happy to pay extra for just another 4k box, but he said I can't do that unless I open another account...lmao wtf man that is so dumb.

Then when you open another account, they don't even let you get the box without the internet package, even though you have their internet on another account...in the same house. You need the internet with the box, and it comes out to like $104(CAD) a month.

RIP

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So my television just kinda crapped out on me, looking for an upgrade. Looking for something that's 65" and ~$1000, any current recommendations?

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Reactions: Bocephus86

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Sounds like a cheap brand. I think there's actually a 70 inch Samsung on sale until Jan 4 for 1000 bucks, that's generally a name you can trust at that price

I can't find it online but my brother mentioned it to me, I'd at least take a look in store

But speaking of cheaper 4k tvs. I've been trying to get look at the Amazon vizios. They're so cheap and Amazon's stuff usually meets a certain quality, anybody know how those displays are compared to the big name store brands?

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
This 65" sharp Roku tv is 50% off

Sharp 65" 4K UHD HDR LED Roku Smart TV (LC-65LBU591C) - Only at Best Buy | Best Buy Canada

I'm looking at it right now and it looks pretty nice
I bought a Roku about a year ago and returned it shortly after. My 10 year old Sony Bravia had a better picture. I had both set up, paused, swapped cable from one tv to the other. Watched a minute, swapped again and watched the same thing again. Best advice I can give is to go to Best Buy or where ever and put a list of a couple that you think look good. Then shop online. Seeing it in person is a lot better than guessing online. Also actually call the company that you are looking at. They can sometimes give you a great deal. I've done it before. Last thing, I got a 5 year in-home warranty for my tv from amazon for $70 compared to Best Buy giving a 2 year for $250.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I hadn't heard of the brand before but was looking in your same price range. I researched and decided on the TCL 65 inch TV It's pretty awesome, especially at the price point:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-65-C...fY53my7V4mVUHcpcqJlWIOo2WIgvMhA8aAmplEALw_wcB

TCL is actually a brand I was looking at. They consistently get good reviews for being so cheap, I'm just not sure if I should go the cheap route again or just get something with higher quality right now.

Sounds like a cheap brand. I think there's actually a 70 inch Samsung on sale until Jan 4 for 1000 bucks, that's generally a name you can trust at that price

I can't find it online but my brother mentioned it to me, I'd at least take a look in store

But speaking of cheaper 4k tvs. I've been trying to get look at the Amazon vizios. They're so cheap and Amazon's stuff usually meets a certain quality, anybody know how those displays are compared to the big name store brands?

TCL is cheap, but I've always seen them get good reviews. I'll take a look for that Samsung, thanks!

This 65" sharp Roku tv is 50% off

Sharp 65" 4K UHD HDR LED Roku Smart TV (LC-65LBU591C) - Only at Best Buy | Best Buy Canada

I'm looking at it right now and it looks pretty nice

I'm in the U.S., but I'll see if it's on sale here too. Thanks!

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

Yea, I was worried about it being cheap, but everywhere had really good reviews and figured I wasn't out much to try it.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Reactions: missingmika

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I bought a Roku about a year ago and returned it shortly after. My 10 year old Sony Bravia had a better picture. I had both set up, paused, swapped cable from one tv to the other. Watched a minute, swapped again and watched the same thing again. Best advice I can give is to go to Best Buy or where ever and put a list of a couple that you think look good. Then shop online. Seeing it in person is a lot better than guessing online. Also actually call the company that you are looking at. They can sometimes give you a great deal. I've done it before. Last thing, I got a 5 year in-home warranty for my tv from amazon for $70 compared to Best Buy giving a 2 year for $250.
No I mean I was literally looking directly at it in the store when I posted that comment. It looked pretty crisp

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Wasn't entirely seriously looking for a new TV but browsing Boxing Day sales:

Why are RCA TV's so cheap? I remember a time they were a huge name in TVs, now they'll have like a 65" 4K TV on sale for $459 with zero reviews. Seem shadier than some Chinese knockoffs or something these days.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Has anyone ever bought a television, or anything for that matter, on Massdrop? Curious if it worked out well for you guys. It's a route I'm considering taking.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Wasn't entirely seriously looking for a new TV but browsing Boxing Day sales:

Why are RCA TV's so cheap? I remember a time they were a huge name in TVs, now they'll have like a 65" 4K TV on sale for $459 with zero reviews. Seem shadier than some Chinese knockoffs or something these days.

I worked at a Best Buy a few years ago in the home theatre department and from what I heard (who knows if its true)

RCA TV's used to be really good but then they were sold to a different company who just decided to go super cheap, which is why they have a terrible reputation now

Also a random side note, generally the retailer specific exclusive products are made with cheaper parts than ones that aren't. Applies to other retailer specific exclusive products, Best Buy, Costco, Amazon, etc. Just a word of caution

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Any experts on best TV settings for hockey?

I dropped $2,000 on this absolute beauty...

Samsung 65" 4K UHD HDR QLED Tizen Smart TV (QN65Q65FNFXZC) - Carbon Silver - Only at Best Buy | Best Buy Canada

Honestly it's sick, everything looks amazing (movies, TV, basketball) except hockey has puck lag. Drives me nuts. A crisp beautiful picture on everything then the puck jitters when fired. How is this possible lol. I specifically bought the 240 Motion Rate to avoid the puck lag.

Do I have a setting wrong? Movies look like the people on screen are in the room with you. Basketball is perfect. Hockey... Puck lag. Gah!

Would it have anything to do with the post above and a Best Buy specific made product? Help if you can!

PS - yes puck lag is on both HD and 4K channels. Watched World Jr's and Leafs vs Wild in 4k...have watched other games in HD. Happens on both. And yes I have a 4k box :) Thank you to anyone that can help!

Last edited:

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Samsung 65" 4K UHD HDR QLED Tizen Smart TV (QN65Q65FNFXZC) - Carbon Silver - Only at Best Buy | Best Buy Canada

Honestly it's sick, everything looks amazing (movies, TV, basketball) except hockey has puck lag. Drives me nuts. A crisp beautiful picture on everything then the puck jitters when fired. How is this possible lol. I specifically bought the 240 Motion Rate to avoid the puck lag.

Do I have a setting wrong? Movies look like the people on screen are in the room with you. Basketball is perfect. Hockey... Puck lag. Gah!

Would it have anything to do with the post above and a Best Buy specific made product? Help if you can!

PS - yes puck lag is on both HD and 4K channels. Watched World Jr's and Leafs vs Wild in 4k...have watched other games in HD. Happens on both. And yes I have a 4k box :) Thank you to anyone that can help!
That warranty.

I actually was thinking of dropping 750 bucks on that sharp I was looking at, but I found out a 4 year warranty was 220 bucks.

Decided to spend an extra 100 on a samsung at Costco and get the 5 year warranty for 60 bucks.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

Bizarre that in 4K you would see lag

I'm assuming you've tried, but I know with my Samsung there are some menu options for motion clarity that you can tinker around with. Sometimes that artificial refresh rate that companies do makes things look like shit when you have it on

Also, you might know this but 240 Motion Rate doesn't mean an actual 240HZ refresh rate on the TV. Most of companies do this proprietary "motion rate" and display that on the TV box and website, but just hide the TV's actual refresh rate

I'll keep thinking though

Reactions: SH15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad