Post-Game Talk: #49 | Kings at Flyers | January 24, 2023

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
What are his options?

Move Risto up and TDA down to the third pair. If you bench TDA for Braun, Braun is really a 15-17 minute player at this point in his career, and probably not every night.

Bring up Attard, who needs a lot of work on his fundamentals, and see the same mistakes TDA makes (Attard was a rover in college and his positioning leads something to be desired, hmm, isn't that the problem with TDA?).

Zamula, Hogberg, Ginning, Wylie haven't shown enough at LHV so far to merit a promotion.

Torts is giving TDA a chance to either fix his mistakes or play his way out of a major role on defense next season.

But this shows why the idea that you just let offensively skilled players do their thing and not focus on defense is dead wrong.
TDA doesn't have to be great on defense, most top offensive defensemen tend to be average to below average b/c they take chances, but he needs to be better than terrible. And that's why you stress defensive fundamentals with skilled prospects.
Sorry DH, DeAngelo has played his way off of the roster as of now. I'd rather see one of Attard, Z, Hogberg or Ginning out there than TDA. At least those guys might be able to be coached up to play a half decent level of NHL play.]; TDA can't.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sorry DH, DeAngelo has played his way off of the roster as of now. I'd rather see one of Attard, Z, Hogberg or Ginning out there than TDA. At least those guys might be able to be coached up to play a half decent level of NHL play.]; TDA can't.

That revolving door we were told we'd be seeing, for absolute sure without a scrap of doubt?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If we're rebuilding, there's no reason to rush Attard.

Zamula may have been injured, he's been playing better lately, as has Hogberg.
Though I wouldn't want either at RHD in the top 4, they're not in the same tier as York.
I see them as competing to be placeholders at 3LHD next season while Andrae adjusts to NA hockey.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
That revolving door we were told we'd be seeing, for absolute sure without a scrap of doubt?
Well the toilet seat is stuck and doesn't move any more.
A hallmark of Fetcher's tenure here has been to be completely reactive. It's time to change that and admit that TDA isn't going to work out here. Put him on waivers and send him to LHV while bringing up Z or Attard. It's a no lose proposition. (1) It gets him off of the roster; (2) Perhaps he can work on his game in the A and possibly, though doubtful, improve there; (3) He refuses to go to LHV and the Flyers can cut him and their losses.
If something isn't done with TDA, based upon past history, there could be a blowup in the locker room and the situation would only get worse. The FO has goofed around with Hayes and Provorov until things soured there. The club doesn't need another mess on its hands.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or maybe they could just sign two more Seelers and call it a day.

*sorry, not sign, just pick from waivers
Actually, there's nothing wrong with picking up veterans like Seeler (or a tad better) off waivers or low cost trades (later round picks) as patches while kids develop - it's when you give up significant resources for second tier veterans you start bleeding out.

Seeler has been solid this season, and I think he could be moved at the TDL for a pick (4th to 5th rd), he's the kind of depth PO teams want in case of injury. If you can sign these guys at minimum or off waivers and flip them, it's a net positive.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
A hallmark of Fetcher's tenure here has been to be completely reactive. It's time to change that and admit that TDA isn't going to work out here. Put him on waivers and send him to LHV while bringing up Z or Attard. It's a no lose proposition. (1) It gets him off of the roster; (2) Perhaps he can work on his game in the A and possibly, though doubtful, improve there; (3) He refuses to go to LHV and the Flyers can cut him and their losses.
If something isn't done with TDA, based upon past history, there could be a blowup in the locker room and the situation would only get worse. The FO has goofed around with Hayes and Provorov until things soured there. The club doesn't need another mess on its hands.
I think I read something in the last few days that Hayes and the Org are fine. No bad blood there.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

He's also massively lazy, so there's no attempt to improve the roster as the season is ongoing. The only way we are seeing new young players is if someone gets injured. And if we have miraculous recoveries to Couturier and Atkinson, it's not likely to be Cates and MacEwen being kept around.

It was very easy to predict that the "Revolving Door" would not happen. It is not happening. It never will happen. Tortorella cannot make it happen, and it's always been suspect to believe he even wants it and would command it to happen anyway.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Actually, there's nothing wrong with picking up veterans like Seeler (or a tad better) off waivers or low cost trades (later round picks) as patches while kids develop - it's when you give up significant resources for second tier veterans you start bleeding out.

Seeler has been solid this season, and I think he could be moved at the TDL for a pick (4th to 5th rd), he's the kind of depth PO teams want in case of injury. If you can sign these guys at minimum or off waivers and flip them, it's a net positive.

You said Seeler was an AHL signing who wouldn't play regularly. Very weird how you're now retconning this to be a sage move, and his blocking prospects from learning the NHL in a lost year is a master stroke.

Last edited:

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I think I read something in the last few days that Hayes and the Org are fine. No bad blood there.
That could be. However Hayes has opened up his mouth with the wrong things at the wrong time in the past. Among others, a CIP being the Yandle incident last spring. I'm sure that that didn't rub the young defensemen in the system in a pleasant manner. With Hayes, it's not a case of bad blood but being a tough fit with his mates in the locker room.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
You said Seeler was an AHL signing who wouldn't play regularly. Very weird how you're now retconning this to be a sage move, and his blocking prospects from learning the NHL in a lost year is a master stroke.
"BUT THEY AREN'T READY!!!!!"

I'm struggling not to laugh audibly at this being the reasoning that the revolving door we were told would happen to see if they were ready now isn't happening.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I hope Tony gets fined big bucks and I'm near certain that, even though he did trip after scoring, Fiala's crawl was pointed at him. So so funny.

Also wondering how many "The officiating was bad tonight though" takes you'd get if everyone just muted Jim Jackson. Whiny ass boy.
Teammates of Drew Doughty should be cautious about pointing fingers.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The refs were pretty bad, but that's what happens to bottom teams, they don't get a break.

Flyers hit the post on that OT sequence, if it goes in, all you'd have in this thread is "crickets."

It was an entertaining game, the basic difference between the teams, Kopitar plays 20 minutes, Couts is on IR.

JVR had a great chance to boost his trade value, but blew two prime scoring opportunities.

Torts really has to break up Sanheim - TDA, both look like dogshit together. It's not just TDA, Sanheim really has regressed this season, he may need Risto more than Risto needs him.
Sanheim has been extremely disappointing. I thought he was turning the corner, but the last few games he’s been poor. It’s frustrating. I expected better from him this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim played much better with Risto than he has with TDA.

I see no reason to play Lycksell on a 4th line with Brown and MacEwen. He's better served on the 1st line in LHV until JVR gets traded.
Zamula hasn't earned anything, neither has Hogberg. Attard isn't NHL ready.
Desnoyers is the one who'd make sense, but given his defense is ahead of his offense, he's better served as the 2C in LHV than the 4C in Philly right now - it's not like the Flyers are going anywhere - so development is more important than winning.

Plenty of time after the TDL to look at kids, I'm more interested in seeing Ginning at this point than Zamula, who's a known but limited commodity - and see if he's for real or that extreme +/- is a fluke.

You don't rush prospects to placate fans who want to bench players just to bench them.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
What are his options?

Move Risto up and TDA down to the third pair. If you bench TDA for Braun, Braun is really a 15-17 minute player at this point in his career, and probably not every night.

Bring up Attard, who needs a lot of work on his fundamentals, and see the same mistakes TDA makes (Attard was a rover in college and his positioning leads something to be desired, hmm, isn't that the problem with TDA?).

Zamula, Hogberg, Ginning, Wylie haven't shown enough at LHV so far to merit a promotion.

Torts is giving TDA a chance to either fix his mistakes or play his way out of a major role on defense next season.

But this shows why the idea that you just let offensively skilled players do their thing and not focus on defense is dead wrong.
TDA doesn't have to be great on defense, most top offensive defensemen tend to be average to below average b/c they take chances, but he needs to be better than terrible. And that's why you stress defensive fundamentals with skilled prospects.
It's not that he is not great , he is down right shitty at defense . In his last two games alone he is minus 7 and cost us both games . If one of the young guys did that they would be stapled to the bench .

Yes move Risto up with Sandheim as a reward for playing well and TDA to the third pair playing 14 mins a night and not just for 1 or 2 games . Until he figures shit out . It's not a lack of skill it's his brain that needs to be reworked .

If you play well your ice time increases is a crock of shit . Allison has been playing really well since our west coast trip and he sees 4 line mins period no matter how he plays . Cates has played good defensively and is a black hole offensively but keeps getting pp time and 1st line mins , hell last night he was the most played forward on the team 20:11 mins and mustard a bit one shot on goal and was 6/23 on faceoffs . He has 57 shots on goal in 49 games and just about dead last in pts/60 at 5vs5 . Where the Fu$%&k does that scream offense .

I have said Torts is doing well in some areas but he continues to bury his head in the sand while trying to drive a square peg into a round hole . It has not worked with a mallet so he has gone to a 5 lbs hammer and is now looking for a sledge hammer . His standard seems to vary depending on who you are .

The one thing TDA has done is take the pressure off Seeler .

Reactions: VladDrag

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Sanheim played much better with Risto than he has with TDA.

I see no reason to play Lycksell on a 4th line with Brown and MacEwen. He's better served on the 1st line in LHV until JVR gets traded.
Zamula hasn't earned anything, neither has Hogberg. Attard isn't NHL ready.
Desnoyers is the one who'd make sense, but given his defense is ahead of his offense, he's better served as the 2C in LHV than the 4C in Philly right now - it's not like the Flyers are going anywhere - so development is more important than winning.

Plenty of time after the TDL to look at kids, I'm more interested in seeing Ginning at this point than Zamula, who's a known but limited commodity - and see if he's for real or that extreme +/- is a fluke.

You don't rush prospects to placate fans who want to bench players just to bench them.
Because with Risto, sanheim can be more aggressive on offense, which is his strength. With TDA, he is the one covering while TDA plays aggressive on offense. Which means that sanheims strength is negated in favor of TDA’s strength. Unfortunately TDA is a lesser player than sanheim so we are weakening our team to cater to a mistake…. A bigoted mistake.

Reactions: Curufinwe

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Sanheim has been extremely disappointing. I thought he was turning the corner, but the last few games he’s been poor. It’s frustrating. I expected better from him this season.
Look beside Sanheim for the reason for those issues...Sanheim is trying to do too much. Shit even Torts has realized the issue with that pair and benched the issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad