GDT: #49: Jets at FLYERS, Monday, Jan. 28, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall's logic about having to take a vets job was wildly annoying. He seemed to think vets were infallible to certain issues. MacDonald has been trash since day 1, but for some reason every dman had to take his job, or Mannings or whoever else was wasting time back there.

The new GM wouldn't even promote an AHL skater prospect when the veterans were injured/exiled and the team only had 6 available dmen/12 available forwards.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I know not everyone on here has played hockey before but let me tell you this if you have not. You have no idea what it is like to be a player, and only play 5:35 a game. I use that total, because that was the "opportunity" that NAK got with the Flyers.

Playing so little, you can not get into the game. You get cold from building up a sweat...then sitting for 10-15 minutes in REAL time until your next shift. Your feet get cold and it 100% impacts your skating. You get pins and needles going on and it is very distracting.

NAK averaged 8 shifts a game...so LESS than 3 a period. And his average shift length was 42 seconds. No reasonable person can say NAK was given his chance in Philly by HAK. Anyone who has played before knows this to be true.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I know not everyone on here has played hockey before but let me tell you this if you have not. You have no idea what it is like to be a player, and only play 5:35 a game. I use that total, because that was the "opportunity" that NAK got with the Flyers.

Playing so little, you can not get into the game. You get cold from building up a sweat...then sitting for 10-15 minutes in REAL time until your next shift. Your feet get cold and it 100% impacts your skating. You get pins and needles going on and it is very distracting.

NAK averaged 8 shifts a game...so LESS than 3 a period. And his average shift length was 42 seconds. No reasonable person can say NAK was given his chance in Philly by HAK. Anyone who has played before knows this to be true.

Well said. This shouldn't even need to be explained.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Keith played two full seasons with the Blackhawks before he was promoted, seemed to have ruined his career.
Very few players outside the top 20 picks fail to play at least a year in the AHL, because a reason many fell in the draft was because they weren't deemed NHL ready.

Weise 1.26 pp/60, CF 48.15, CFrel -4.44, xGF 54.35, xGFrel +1.79
which is fine for a 4th line winger. HCs will take the veteran if there's a "tie."
It's not like NAK was going to be a differencemaker.

I've seen NAK for two years, he's fast, he can shoot, but he has meh offensive instincts, not a great passer, can play out of control.
2016-17: 71g 9-9 18 ES
2017-18: 72g 18-25 43
2018-19: 32g 10-5 15

He had a good second season in the AHL but has failed to build on it this year.
Bailey is similar but a year ahead:
2015-16: 70g 16-19 35
2016-17: 52g 18-8 26
2018-19: 40g 8-11 19

I don't see the big deal, once Simmonds, Raffl and one or two others are traded, there will be open spots for call ups.
NAK and Bailey will compete for the 4 RW spot, Vorobyev/Bunnaman for a 3C/4C spot, Myers and Friedman for RHD.
Players like NAK and Bailey often bounce around until the light goes on, if it ever does. b

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The new GM wouldn't even promote an AHL skater prospect when the veterans were injured/exiled and the team only had 6 available dmen/12 available forwards.

I'm still skeptical that Fletcher is trying to field the best team

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I'm still skeptical that he even exists.

Count me as not really surprised by how he’s handled the youth and call ups.

Minny wasn’t exactly known as a model for other franchises to look up to during his extended tenure. Fletcher was a very safe hire.

Really waiting for him to prove me wrong. I am hopeful I guess.

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Count me as not really surprised by how he’s handled the youth and call ups.

Minny wasn’t exactly known as a model for other franchises to look up to during his extended tenure. Fletcher was a very safe hire.

Really waiting for him to prove me wrong. I am hopeful I guess.
I hear ya and totally get it, but I’m gonna reserve judgement on Fletcher until I see the team he puts on the ice at the start of next season. I think he deserves that.

That being said, he’s got a lot of work to do between now and then. He needs to get max value for Simmonds, bring in an experienced, dependable and durable goalie to back up Hart and he needs to find another solid center so that Giroux can move back to wing.

Whether it’s existing kids or new acquisitions, the lineup, especially the forwards, needs more speed, skill and size. Roll up your sleeves Chuck, it’s time to go to work.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I hear ya and totally get it, but I’m gonna reserve judgement on Fletcher until I see the team he puts on the ice at the start of next season. I think he deserves that.

That being said, he’s got a lot of work to do between now and then. He needs to get max value for Simmonds, bring in an experienced, dependable and durable goalie to back up Hart and he needs to find another solid center so that Giroux can move back to wing.

Whether it’s existing kids or new acquisitions, the lineup, especially the forwards, needs more speed, skill and size. Roll up your sleeves Chuck, it’s time to go to work.

I have no faith in a guy that traded Weal for a 6th so he could slot Lehtera, the worst player in the NHL, back into the lineup..... despite the fact that he is facing charges for buying cocaine.

Last edited:
Reactions: macleish1974

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Thank God for Edmonton, they prove what dysfunctional really means when it comes to running an NHL franchise!

Whoever said that all the players in the league should have a NTC of one: No Edmonton........is hilariously sardonic......

cats.jpg
sardonicly speaking.......

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I'm still skeptical that Fletcher is trying to field the best team

Im ok with him so far. Honk is gone, Weise is gone, Sanheim and Nolan etc seem to be progressing quicker now and playing bigger roles.

I also am convinced once Myers and Nak come up and Elliot come back, we will be flirting withing picking outside the top 10, so be careful what we wish for.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Im ok with him so far. Honk is gone, Weise is gone, Sanheim and Nolan etc seem to be progressing quicker now and playing bigger roles.

I also am convinced once Myers and Nak come up and Elliot come back, we will be flirting withing picking outside the top 10, so be careful what we wish for.

I'm waiting till the TDL to see his future plan. If he plays Myers/NAK/Whoever else from LV, it's most likely going to take time from the vets, while this is good, it'll hurt trying to trade them, even for a little bit. This is a lost year and playing the kids for the rest of March and into April will still be good.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Myers coming up this season is not a guarantee. Fletcher even said so.

NAK coming up might not happen at all now that he was left in the minors long enough to get injured.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Myers coming up this season is not a guarantee. Fletcher even said so.

NAK coming up might not happen at all now that he was left in the minors long enough to get injured.

You can be injured anywhere.

I agree Myers needs a good look, as he can be a huge need for next year and be nice to see what we have. Hopefully after the TDL he comes up

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he is then he's incredibly stupid.

He better be tanking.

Why would he tank? You don't get that much benefit anymore.
What he should be doing is probably what he is doing, shopping veterans before the TDL for prospects and draft picks he can flip in June.
But I don't consider that tanking per se, unless you're just dumping guys.

If Fletcher is serious about tanking, he'd better demote Hart ASAP. :skeptic:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I think tanking is a misnomer. However, any and all vets with expiring contracts, plus guys like AMac and Weise should be made available to the highest, if any, bidder.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You can be injured anywhere.

I agree Myers needs a good look, as he can be a huge need for next year and be nice to see what we have. Hopefully after the TDL he comes up

But he wasn't injured anywhere. He was injured in the AHL when he should have been in the NHL. No need to hypothesize on what would have happened had he been called up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad